Maverick might replace Iverson as a starter at Northwestern

Blizzard

Reaction score
Per a tweet by Myron-

Maverick Ahanmisi might replace Colton Iverson in starting lineup against Northwestern, according to Tubby Smith

Per a tweet by Myron-

Maverick Ahanmisi might replace Colton Iverson in starting lineup against Northwestern, according to Tubby Smith

Sigh. A step in the right direction I guess. Some flexibility is better than none.

Didn't the big lineup have its way against NW already?

Didn't the big lineup have its way against NW already?

Yes. We can only hope that NW will go 12 for 39 from the 3 pt line and we get to shoot 45 free throws. Those numbers worked at the Barn.

Just tell Mav not to drive down the lane. It seems like he gets stopped and has his shot blocked, throws it away or turns it over almost every time.

Just tell Mav not to drive down the lane. It seems like he gets stopped and has his shot blocked, throws it away or turns it over almost every time.

Mav must think he is really skinny. Seems every time he drives the lane he tries to go between two defenders that are about one inch apart.

I'm not sure what the result of any change would have brought but I would have been all for this a couple, seven or eight, games ago.

Add him to the list of Gophers who are unable to drive, stop and take a short J rather than going hell bent for election into defenders.

Correction.

Hollins can, kinda.

When has this happened? I feel like whenever Mav is aggressive and finds a lane, there are positive results. IMO, nearly all of his TOs are a result of being tentative/looking for a perimeter outlet, not because he is taking the ball to the rack aggressively

The BIG Lineup

Per a tweet by Myron-

DO IT!!!

The BIG starting lineup has not fared too well. I hope Mav gets a start and some minutes. Colt will still get his minutes and perhaps it will get him out of his offensive funk.

:clap::clap::clap:

This is less about "different direction" and more about the fact Iverson has been a waste of space for about 3 weeks now. I predict the lineup will do the same thing it's been doing.... Get them to a close game late and then the gophers foul it up in the last two minutes.

I don't care how talented the freshman are next year, if someone doesn't want the ball at the end it wont be more than a 10-11 win team in the big ten. Nolen isn't the most skilled player in the world but at least he wants the ball at the end. Hoffarber has been terrible in the clutch this year.

This is less about "different direction" and more about the fact Iverson has been a waste of space for about 3 weeks now. I predict the lineup will do the same thing it's been doing.... Get them to a close game late and then the gophers foul it up in the last two minutes.

I don't care how talented the freshman are next year, if someone doesn't want the ball at the end it wont be more than a 10-11 win team in the big ten. Nolen isn't the most skilled player in the world but at least he wants the ball at the end. Hoffarber has been terrible in the clutch this year.

Yeah, for all of Westbrook's faults, that dude wanted the ball in crunch time and usually came up big. I'm hoping Hollins will have that mentality because I'd assume you'd have to have confidence like that if you drop 46 against the #1 high school team in the country.

Maverick will immediately become the worst starting player in the Big ten.

This should have been done weeks ago. Mav is what he is. But Hoff is better at SG Rodney ismuch better at SF. Ralph is better at center. The big line-up hasn't been working and I can't believe it took this long to make the move. As long as Mav doesn't become a turn-over machine it will make the other 4 guys better and enable better substitution patterns on top of it.

Maverick will immediately become the worst starting player in the Big ten.

This guy has been for the last 2 or 3 years, ask any Badger fan.

tim_jarmusz.jpg

Mav may beat him out though. If he can limit his turnovers then I think he'll help us out by allowing Tubby to have a more balanced rotation.

Rose

10 or 11 Big Ten Wins look pretty darn good to me about now!

2006: 5-11
2007: 3-13
2008: 8-10 plus 2 wins in BTT
2009: 9-9 plus 1 win in BTT
2010: 9-9 plus 3 wins in BTT
2011: 6-10 to date

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=8400&SPID=3302&SPSID=38665

When has this happened? I feel like whenever Mav is aggressive and finds a lane, there are positive results. IMO, nearly all of his TOs are a result of being tentative/looking for a perimeter outlet, not because he is taking the ball to the rack aggressively

Maverick doesn't have the explosion to finish at the hole. When he has gone all the way to the bucket - he gets snuffed most of the time. Last game he did beat his man with a fake and drove to about 8 feet and made a beautiful bank shot from the left side. Like to see more of that.
I'd rather see Armelin and Hollins start with Hoff, Mbakwe and Sampson but going away from the skyscraping lineup is a start.

I've honestly liked Mav more than what Cobbs showed as a freshman. Cobbs was basically Mav except with a much worse shot.

Cobbs

I've honestly liked Mav more than what Cobbs showed as a freshman. Cobbs was basically Mav except with a much worse shot.

Cobbs was an excellent free throw shooter. 86% 25 of 29.

I always like those guys on the floor at the end of games. I for one wish he had stayed.

Many times. Go back and watch the last couple of home games.

If Tubby starts that line-up it will be interesting to see how long he stays with it, and/or stays with Mav.

I would rather see Austin/Chip over Mav/Rodney, but I do think it is time to stray away from the "three big" lineup. Should be a little quicker rotation wise out of the zone and (hopefully) will free up Hoff for some clean looks.

Many times. Go back and watch the last couple of home games.

I already have watched them, I was at every one. I am not trying to start a pi$$ing match or anything here, I honestly think good things happen when Mav is aggressive and drives (especially on the break). A lot of his TOs have come on the perimeter.

10 or 11 Big Ten Wins look pretty darn good to me about now!

2006: 5-11
2007: 3-13
2008: 8-10 plus 2 wins in BTT
2009: 9-9 plus 1 win in BTT
2010: 9-9 plus 3 wins in BTT
2011: 6-10 to date

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=8400&SPID=3302&SPSID=38665

If you look at the makeup of the roster.... If People all come back next year should have been the year the gophers were contending for the big ten title. Not this year.

If everyone comes back and the freshmen can play, Minnesota is a top 15 team next year.

Top Bottom