Maturi's Grand Slam

What I love about this alignment and the fact that our Thanksgiving weekend game will be a lesser draw than most of the other games is that our best rivalry games...IA, WI, MI and now NE will have a great chance at being on the major networks and NOT at 11 AM...great for watching, great for going to the games and GREAT for recruiting...wanna play the best teams on National Broadcast TV...go to the U of M!

I couldn't be happier and want to say...Thanks Joel Maturi!

Please read my thread. I'm all in for the rivalry's.... great job.

But unless things change dramatically, we'll never see the light of day in this division. One of the B10 network guys had it right when he stated we got the hardest draw.

I just can't see a year where we beat Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, MSU, Northwestern and whomever falls on our lap.

My mom always told me be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. I'm starting to feel that may come back to haunt us.

yeah, I read it... and thought it was completely wrong. Thanks for reminding me here, in a thread that I completely agree with. Maturi deserves credit. Hurray for the new divisions!!!

Renew Joe's contract. That is the best alignment possible for Minnesota. Skipping Becky once in a while is just fine with me. We beat them in the border battle, we now have a better year after year chance of out recruiting them. I think we are in the better of the two divisions.

Renew Joe's contract. That is the best alignment possible for Minnesota. Skipping Becky once in a while is just fine with me. We beat them in the border battle, we now have a better year after year chance of out recruiting them. I think we are in the better of the two divisions.

We WON'T be skipping them. We will be playing them every year, thanks to the protected cross-over.

If Becky was a skipped game, that would have undone all good of the division alignment. That rivalry HAD to be played yearly, no matter what else happened. It's bad enough we sometimes only play them once in b-ball, like this year and last year.

If Becky was a skipped game, that would have undone all good of the division alignment. That rivalry HAD to be played yearly, no matter what else happened. It's bad enough we sometimes only play them once in b-ball, like this year and last year.

Absolutely! From the Big Ten's standpoint, only the Ohio State-Michigan game is more important to have every year. Minnesota-Wisconsin is the most played rivalry in major college football and in a couple of years, it will be the longest continuous rivalry as well.

Anybody else think we have a better shot at winning a Big Ten championship with realignment...cuz I do....

To win it now and in the past, you pretty much can only have one loss in conference...something we seem to have trouble with.

In the future, we could be in a 3 way tie for our division with 2 or even 3 losses and by virtue of a tiebreaker get to go play in Indy...then all we need is to have a great game at the end of the year on a neutral field.

I honestly like our chances better going forward....hell, even Mississippi State plays in the SEC title game sometimes.

Handsome Pete, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once. Even though I would have far preferred the geographical split, this is pretty much the next best thing we could ask for.

Maturi sure seems to find a lot of acorns then.

I'm man enough to admit that I wrote Maturi this morning and said great job.

Anybody else think we have a better shot at winning a Big Ten championship with realignment...cuz I do.

We certainly have a better chance of winning a title, even if it "only" a divisional title. But conference championship games benefit some teams and hamper others. Consider baseball. It used to be that there were no divisions, the teams with the best record went to the World Series. Now with divisional play, the team with the best record quite often doesn't go to the WS. Divisions had been beneficial to teams that don't have the best overall record.

We just have to have the best record of the 6 teams in our conference, and we win a divisional title, and then we are just one game from a conference title.

Great to see a post here thanking the U and Maturi for his hard work and some praise for how it worked out.

We made out so much better than the Badgers that it's really a surprise (thought Alvaraez was more influential than that). The new stadium is HUGE (though it should have been 60,000 - that would have ben perfect. It will have to be - for financial competitiveness - in the future). The timing of the Mason firing was not good and hiring a coach with no head coaching experience was not good - but after tonight, we'll know better.

Overall, all sports considered, plus the stadium, Maturi has done a good job.

Top Bottom