Maturi went after Barry Alverez

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Maturi told our columnist Bob Sansevere that he offered the Gophers' job to former Wisky coach and AD Barry Alvarez. Read more in paper.

WOW.

And I am sure it was done in a tongue in cheek fashion. hey Barry you know you want to coach again, how about helping an old friend out, wink wink.

In the middle of the search in the few instances Joel would talk to people he'd say he'd already offered the job to three people, Tony Duny, Barry Alvarez, and Tubby Smith. So tongue definitely in cheek, but some will surely still use it to bash Joel.

Miami wants Alvarez too?

That would have been the most Awesome hire. Ever.

That would have been a great hire. Alvarez is rumored as being sought by Miami also. Donna Shalala wants him to coach for her again. I think that would be a smart hire for them too.

epic-face-palm-face-palm-demotivational-poster-1236742013.jpg

Maturi offering Alvarez the Gopher HC job is in the same vein as:
- Maturi offering Tony Dungy the job
- Ryan Wildenborg offering up a solid Big Ten career
- Tim Brewster offering Seantrel Henderson a scholarship
- Bret Bielema offering up an apology for his decision to go for two
- Dpodoll68 offering an opinion he can beat me in a heads-up game of Texas Hold 'Em
- Me offering Christina Aguilera an engagement ring

Why would Maturi ever consider hiring a coach who hasn't won a NC? After all, isn't that what a "Tubby hire" means?

Maturi offering Alvarez the Gopher HC job is in the same vein as:
- Maturi offering Tony Dungy the job
- Ryan Wildenborg offering up a solid Big Ten career
- Tim Brewster offering Seantrel Henderson a scholarship
- Bret Bielema offering up an apology for his decision to go for two
- Dpodoll68 offering an opinion he can beat me in a heads-up game of Texas Hold 'Em
- Me offering Christina Aguilera an engagement ring

You're really gonna rip Brew for recruiting Seantrel Henderson hard? Really? That's pathetic. A new level of idiocy. I expect more from you.

You're really gonna rip Brew for recruiting Seantrel Henderson hard? Really? That's pathetic. A new level of idiocy. I expect more from you.

agree 100%. It would have been totally idiodic for him not to recruit SH.

josh...the point of your post was missed by 2 people, but not by me.

The best part is when AhliBobwa writes "I expect more from you".
gopherbadgerman idiotic no but a long shot yes.

I agree a long shot, but how mcuh grief would he have gotten if he did not recruit him...

That would be like Brett Favre on the Vikings... oh wait.

Barry's off field antics made it so no FBS school could hire him. He knew this so he went and planted himself as AD at WI.

Top Bottom