Maturi to Brewster - "Win Now"

The Trib article was dumb because it raised the issue of Brew not getting an extension when Maturi's comments were very kindly and hinted he likely would. The Trib kept the article up online for a week, thus telling the world (and recruits) something that was basically unwarranted and which neverthless got attention from other media outlets. If Brew wins six this year, which is very likely, and goes to a bowl, he'll probably get an extension - maybe a two year one - my guess.

Lost on the Star Tribune is, what Maturi was saying, if you read between the lines,. He was saying that the grace period is over this is the first year he is really evaluating Brewster's performance. After the grade is in, he'll make a decision, there's no magic number because he's evaluating everything.

the whole thing is nothing that somebody is trying to make into something. Oh my god, Maturi's actually going to evaluate a coach at the end of the year. I can't believe this wasn't front page across the nation (sarcasm).

The only thing that happened here is that the strib put doubt into a lot of folks minds by putting in quotes maturi could have just as easily said about any of his coaches at any time in every year.

We'll look at it at the end of the year. If they suck we'll probably have to do something, if they're great we'll probably have to do something, anything in between I really don't know until I see the whole picture. Wow. In fact if anything he said he'll be more patient with Brewster than any other coach because he has a bigger hill to climb and changing coaches hasn't been a good answer. Out of this Brewster is on the hot seat? give me a break. If anything he's secure through his contract unless things start to really suck.

Our local paper sucks.

Maturi spoke at the Sota Social last Friday in Evanston. I'm paraphrasing, but he said that he has more invested in this coach (Brewster) than anyone, and he said he expects Brewster to be coaching at the U "long after I'm gone".

The thing that gets lost in this discussion is that Maturi's actions a year ago contributed to the uncertainty.

It was almost a year ago when Maturi said publicly that he was going to begin discussions with Brewster about an extension. That story was a front page sports story in the Star Tribune.

Guess what? Team slid backwards, said discussions stopped and Brewster didn't get an extension. If the AD says he's going to talk about an extension and then changes his mind, that leads to questions.

The headline of of the story in the Star Tribune wasn't great, but the story itself wasn't that bad. Brewster went backwards in the Big Ten last year, can he do enough in the Big Ten to get an extension.

But Maturi's change of heart a year ago helped bring this issue up.

That was certainly a premature move by Maturi last year when he publicly said he was going to talk about an extension with Brewster. Maturi does a lot of good things, but he's probably a little more open than he should be, which can lead to a some foot in mouth moments.

You know he hedges, he's well aware that every word he says is going to be used to support someone's argument. He tries to take the middle road and be as non committal as he can while trying to be positive of the overall mission. What should be non-news is for some an opportunity to twist, to sensationalize.

I'm getting tired of the StarTribune sports writers "opinions".

"Brewster went backwards in the Big Ten last year, can he do enough in the Big Ten to get an extension."

I would have to disagree with this statement based on Brewster went from 0 wins in the B10 to 3 wins in the B10. To me that is not a step backward.

Scools: He did go backwards from a fast start to the season and the team got worse as the year went along.

That's what I meant.

.. upon "further, further" review... maybe Maturi has the right idea here.

Top Bottom