Maturi on Sports to the Max 11/10

Ambiguous timeline is ambiguous.

129045330896628960.jpg

I'm not confident in any one person being the hire right now... I am confident that the search firm is digging around on Calhoun, and that he's a person of interest for Maturi & Bruininks... also the Parker firm is digging around on Hoke, Sumlin, Shannon, Edsall, and Mullen... and I bet more.

I like all of these guys right now. All of them. As long as it is a guy from this list (or Leach/Bellotti) and not Bob Ligashesky, I will be a happy camper.

The "not inheriting a program" line kind of sticks out to me. I wonder what his definition of that is...

It really could be argued that Bellotti, Calhoun, Sumlin, Peterson and a couple other guys have all inherited programs.

So yeah, mkAz is right, it really is only Patterson, Golden, and Hoke (maybe Kill) who have really completely built their own programs from the ground up. I'm curious if this is an off the cuff comment or something specific. It also makes me think they might have a specific guy in mind because it would essentially be a knock against a lot of the candidates.

I agree with you. I finally see some criteria for the coach from Maturi, which gives me substantially more hope that we will find the correct coach for the U, versus the big name coach. It looks like Joel is looking for some objective/observable data to show the coach can truly change our program. If that is the case, we can narrow the list down and begin to really focus on the few that meet the standards he is basing his decision on. Doesn't sound off the cuff but that he has established criteria and is sticking to it. Now that I have demonized Joel, I have to go and delete a few of my fire Joel posts as he has resurrected himself in my eyes.

"Program builder" eliminates all the candidates we've been talking about besides Golden and Edsall. Doogie seems confident of a Calhoun hire, but that criteria rules him out.

Edsall took over from Skip Holtz who had success at UConn and won 70% of his games his last two years. Same with Sumlin, Ken from Navy, Calhoun, Peterson and Patterson. Hoke had one great year out of 7 or so at Ball State and Mullen is a newbie HC.

I would put Golden and Jerry Kill as top "Program Builders" with the list of possible candidates.

Edsall took over from Skip Holtz who had success at UConn and won 70% of his games his last two years.

I know, but UConn was I-AA when Holtz was there. Edsall is a "program builder" in that he has been the only coach of a I-A UConn.

-Has talked with a lot of other AD's including Notre Dame. Likes to see who everyone is recommending to see who's name comes up over and over.

This is the part that worries me. Not that I don't think he should be doing this or that he shouldn't talk with Notre Dame in particular, but because this is what he cited as a reason for hiring Brewster. At the time, he said Brewster's name kept popping up.

Just because a good number of other AD's keep brining up the latest flavor of the month doesn't mean the flavor will still taste good a couple months or years later. I think we all know how fickle feelings are toward football coaches from year to year. Please Joel: focus on a proven track record and ignore the flavor of the month!

Edsall took over from Skip Holtz who had success at UConn and won 70% of his games his last two years. Same with Sumlin, Ken from Navy, Calhoun, Peterson and Patterson. Hoke had one great year out of 7 or so at Ball State and Mullen is a newbie HC.

I would put Golden and Jerry Kill as top "Program Builders" with the list of possible candidates.

I agree with your take on who are real program builders.

I don't understand why Shannon keeps popping up. He hasn't done that much at Miami, and that is the job he wanted at his alma mater. And Fullmer has already said he is not interested. So much beating of a dead horse here.!

Prediction: Joel Maturi Screws Around Long Enough to "Blow" The Hire!

This is not good. They should be able to have the top 2 or 3 lined up for swift interviewing after the Iowa game and make the hire within 5 days. Last year, UVa fired Al Groh the day after the last game and hired Mike London within days. Most schools are able to do this. With the huge head start, MN certainly should. If we really take 2 weeks from the Iowa game to make a hire, Maturi should be fired after the press conference.

Maturi in Action!

head-up-ass.jpg

CrazyJD has been quiet since his cryptic "for 3 of Neinas' clients"
Maturi's list above
forgot who mentioned "one surprise", might have been an earlier maturi quote
a few "everyone will be happy..."

UM to UofM??

really crazy, but the rumors about him going to ND last time around and all the crap he's experiencing in FLA. Maybe Maturi actually heard something when talking to ND? Neinas has placed him twice i think

less money for a saner life? already has his NCs

i think i could be talked into calling that a "tubby like hire"

a guy can dream...

Meyer stated that he was "real upset about that. After a while, enough's enough. If there's something that we can improve on, we're certainly looking into that. It's like if our graduation rate stinks then we gotta improve that. If there's other issues in a program, that's our job to get it better. It's people making stupid mistakes, that's something we gotta correct."

I don't understand why Shannon keeps popping up. He hasn't done that much at Miami, and that is the job he wanted at his alma mater. And Fullmer has already said he is not interested. So much beating of a dead horse here.!

I have to believe the money is why he would be interested. As for what he has done at Miami, I think he is doing a great job. Steady improvement each year. Great recruiting classes, and the improvement each year tells me that he is actually able to coach his own players rather than just do well with the guys he inherited. Look for Miami to be Top-10 next year.

CrazyJD has been quiet since his cryptic "for 3 of Neinas' clients"
Maturi's list above
forgot who mentioned "one surprise", might have been an earlier maturi quote
a few "everyone will be happy..."

UM to UofM??

really crazy, but the rumors about him going to ND last time around and all the crap he's experiencing in FLA. Maybe Maturi actually heard something when talking to ND? Neinas has placed him twice i think

less money for a saner life? already has his NCs

i think i could be talked into calling that a "tubby like hire"

a guy can dream...

Meyer stated that he was "real upset about that. After a while, enough's enough. If there's something that we can improve on, we're certainly looking into that. It's like if our graduation rate stinks then we gotta improve that. If there's other issues in a program, that's our job to get it better. It's people making stupid mistakes, that's something we gotta correct."

I'm with you...dream big dreams. Pull for South Carolina to win IN Gainesville this week.

UM to UofM. I would love it.

GM

Top Bottom