Maturi on perception of Goph sports: I don't think it's great. We've got to win more

So, back to less important issues, if you look at the body of work for Joel Maturi, he and his leadership have led to multiple failures with very little success, especially in sports that the masses care about. JM even admits now that this Job requires more business acumen and skills in business finance/administration.

"It has become a business, and that's what is the most difficult thing for me. You've got to make business decisions vs. really educational, personal-growth-type decisions. That's just a reality"

The reality is that it is time that we hire a business orientated AD who along with some cultural changes, can take this program to reach it's full potential.

Maturi used a lot of his stock answers, but Sansevere did a nice job with this. Before people start ripping him about some of his answers (about Borton and Lucia especially), hope they realize no athletic director is going to talk publicly about the faults of his coaches.

Do wonder why he's making the rounds lately. Figured he spoke on the radio because of the new contracts. Was this interview given out of Maturi's sense of fairness, or is he defending himself for some reason?

Can anyone with historical knowledge of the Gopher AD tell me about the "fractured" athletic department and how Maturi put them together and somehow worked a miracle? I always hear about how huge a deal that was, but don't really have any perspective or background on it. Was it as miraculous as he makes it sound? I mean, a 31 million dollar deficit is a great thing to fix, and that's commendable, but merging two divided ADs...Huge deal? Or just lots of staff moves and ego management?

Can anyone with historical knowledge of the Gopher AD tell me about the "fractured" athletic department and how Maturi put them together and somehow worked a miracle? I always hear about how huge a deal that was, but don't really have any perspective or background on it. Was it as miraculous as he makes it sound? I mean, a 31 million dollar deficit is a great thing to fix, and that's commendable, but merging two divided ADs...Huge deal? Or just lots of staff moves and ego management?

I don't know...something 'bout Chris Voelz pulling out the tape measure and checking office sizes:rolleyes:

Oh...and she didn't much care for the sport of football either...something 'bout causing an imbalance in scholarship numbers between the genders:eek:

I think the Big 10 Network filled up the $31M deficit.

That's getting to be a bit like praising Bush for how he handled 9/11 when it's 2008. Fine, you did something good 7 years ago. Great.

Top Bottom