Maturi Apologists = Mona PR Machine

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
Are all you Maturi apologists that recently joined the hole with seemingly one voice...all working for Mona...or are you all secretly Mona?

Regardless of how Kill does...all evidence points to Maturi being a failure as the AD of the U of M. Whether it be the millions lost on coaches fired less than one year after being extended, a failure to manage the PR of our athletic department, the inability to bring in a top name coach with a budget of $3 mil per available for his salary plus Assts., the failure to fire Brew and Monson when they should have been fired and not fire Mason in some kneejerk reaction which cost our fb program a year of recruiting. His department loses money every year. He is a failure at managing the revenue sports and securing top talent as coaches for those sports. What exactly are you using for a metric as to the quality of his work if not results, revenues and profits?

And if you want to point to the Tubby hire as proof he can get quality talent...go back and look at how we got Tubby...best Maturi can say about the Tubby hire is..."Hey look, I didn't eff this one up."

I don't know where these Maturi apologists are. But if Kill does well, that goes on the positive side of Maturi's ledger. That real measure of a hire is the results you get, not the big name.

More realist. Hire has been made and we've moved on to support the team. I'll trust the next President of the UofM to handle Maturi properly.

I don't think there are so many Maturi apologists as there are folks who bristle at the ridiculous number of posts saying the same thing. We get it. Most people don't trust him to do a good job as AD. Do we need 16 threads saying the same thing?

It's amazing to me how some think that anyone who defends Maturi in any way automatically thinks he's doing a great job. Seriously people, get over it. Just about everyone wants him gone, but he certainly isn't as bad as some are making it seem. He's done some good and bad things. Why is there still just as much attention given to Maturi as Kill? Ridiculous.

"I don't think there are so many Maturi apologists as there are folks who bristle at the ridiculous number of posts saying the same thing. We get it. Most people don't trust him to do a good job as AD. Do we need 16 threads saying the same thing?"

Do I hear an Amen? Thank you, I'm glad someone finally said it.

"I don't think there are so many Maturi apologists as there are folks who bristle at the ridiculous number of posts saying the same thing. We get it. Most people don't trust him to do a good job as AD. Do we need 16 threads saying the same thing?"

Do I hear an Amen? Thank you, I'm glad someone finally said it.

Amen

I personally don't think Maturi is the worst or best AD ever. He does an okay job.

If that makes me an apologist so be it.

Are all you Maturi apologists that recently joined the hole with seemingly one voice...all working for Mona...or are you all secretly Mona?

Regardless of how Kill does...all evidence points to Maturi being a failure as the AD of the U of M. Whether it be the millions lost on coaches fired less than one year after being extended, a failure to manage the PR of our athletic department, the inability to bring in a top name coach with a budget of $3 mil per available for his salary plus Assts., the failure to fire Brew and Monson when they should have been fired and not fire Mason in some kneejerk reaction which cost our fb program a year of recruiting. His department loses money every year. He is a failure at managing the revenue sports and securing top talent as coaches for those sports. What exactly are you using for a metric as to the quality of his work if not results, revenues and profits?

And if you want to point to the Tubby hire as proof he can get quality talent...go back and look at how we got Tubby...best Maturi can say about the Tubby hire is..."Hey look, I didn't eff this one up."

I think Jerry Kill is an A+ hire and I've been on here for years. When did you join, Mr. [Fake] Connections?

I'm just a lot more interested in what Coach Kill can do for this football team than I am in Maturi. There's no chance that Maturi gets fired anyway, Bruininks is under no pressure, he's loading his GPS with his favorite fishing spots. How about if we use this forum to talk about Gopher Football, and create another one to rave about the AD?

I've never met Dave Mona. I bumped into Joel Maturi one time at the restaurant on the top floor of Coffman Union 3-4 years ago. I am not part of a PR machine. What machine are you a part of? State your case. But defining other people only reveals ignorance and idiocy because you don't know the people who post here.

Gopher football has been in the doldrums for 50 years. Bernie Bierman left 70 years ago. That is not Joel Maturi's fault. And he is responsible for wrestling and volleyball, too.

There. Balance.

More realist. Hire has been made and we've moved on to support the team. I'll trust the next President of the UofM to handle Maturi properly.

+1. All we can really do is ride out the next 18 months and pray nothing else gets screwed up. Specifically, we can hope that Tubby's contract extension gets done one of these months and he sticks around.

I think Jerry Kill is an A+ hire and I've been on here for years. When did you join, Mr. [Fake] Connections?

I too have been on here for well over a year...I just don't post as much as some...regarding my connections...i was 100% right about Golden...he didn't interview, take a call or meet with anyone and not one person with knowledge has said anything different. Additionally, I had the terms of his contract correct including the buy out numbers before anyone in the media reported it. As for Edsall...in time, it will come out that he did say yes when I reported it and he did change his mind on Saturday when Maturi moved on to Kill...Mike Max agrees with me...BTW.

As for Kill...I think he is the best we could get given the parameters...but frankly, he took 5 mintues to hire...not 50 days and $200k...we are his dream job...from HS coach to Big Ten coach.

And for those that love to quote our successes in non-revenue sports as the reason Maturi does an OK job...that's a reasonable point, except in the context of our athletic department loses money because we historically underperform in the three profit generating teams, fb, MBB and to a lessor extent, Hockey and we are spending $550k per year to pay off a loan for the buyouts of Monson and Mason and another $800k this year for the buyour of Brewster...thus extending our losses and making it still mor difficult for the U to change it's losing ways.

And like all typical Mn nice bullcrap...lets stop talking about the bad stuff 5 seconds after they happened so that we can feighn surprise the next time Joel Maturi screws us by making a stupid mistake...like not getting the practice facility done and losing Tubby because he spent the last 18 months extending and then firing Brewster and raising money for a BB stadium that will lose money just like the old stadium and spending $200k and 50 days to hire a coach that we could have hired with an email and a tank a gas!

Very few people aren't critical of some of the things Maturi has done, but it's like being in a feeding frenzy for some around here. Pointing out there are things we don't know and giving him credit for the positive things he's done hardly makes us apologists. A little balance and perspective isn't that bad.

The hire has been made. I was let down at first even though I had quickly surmised none of the viable big names were interested. Nothing I could do about it so I supported it. After reading about Kill and getting my first impressions, I'm feeling very positive and am already looking forward to seeing the team he puts out on the field next fall.

A negative about all this is that Kill's margin for error has been greatly reduced. If he gets blown out early or has a bad loss, people are going to jump all over him and he might never get them off. Some of that will be on Maturi; some of that is the result of 40 years of futility and frustration; but some of it will also be on us fans if we never give him a real chance.

Very few people aren't critical of some of the things Maturi has done, but it's like being in a feeding frenzy for some around here. Pointing out there are things we don't know and giving him credit for the positive things he's done hardly makes us apologists. A little balance and perspective isn't that bad.

The hire has been made. I was let down at first even though I had quickly surmised none of the viable big names were interested. Nothing I could do about it so I supported it. After reading about Kill and getting my first impressions, I'm feeling very positive and am already looking forward to seeing the team he puts out on the field next fall.

A negative about all this is that Kill's margin for error has been greatly reduced. If he gets blown out early or has a bad loss, people are going to jump all over him and he might never get them off. Some of that will be on Maturi; some of that is the result of 40 years of futility and frustration; but some of it will also be on us fans if we never give him a real chance.

I have no doubt we will be a better coached team with Kill than we were with Brewster. For Kill, it's all about recruiting...can he do it...history says the want and the will are there...but he hasn't been a top recruiter in any conference he has competed...so we shall see. As far as us fans giving him a chance...he gets paid a million dollars plus per year to win games...I aint gonna feel bad if he has to eat crap if he isn't winning. Hell most people make 1/20th what that guy makes an have to eat crap everyday from their boss or customers or someone...for 20x paycheck...have at me message boards!

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm fairly confident that the Brewster buyout was $600 k.

Not sure...I thought it was $800k if he was fired before 12/1 and $600k after...either way...it is another hit to the athletic budget bottom line and we will again have to borrow money to pay it.

Enough already. We have a coach, no one can do anything about how the search was handled. How much more can we kick this dead horse. It's over, let's do something positive like maybe put our support behind Coach Kill and the players.

I agree. Maturi would like to be done with this job probably as much as you want him to be done with it. This is a Gopher Football Board and the election is done, the results are in, let's get behind the coach.

If you don't want to attend his retirement dinner...fine, we get the message.

(Kill is not going to have an embarrasing loss...this guy is a real football coach...a real coach with a system that wins. If there's an embarrasing loss coming, I don't think it's the Gophers that are going to suffer it!).

I don't care for Maturi, but more importantly, I don't care about him. I'll spend my time being positive and supporting the program. Your hatred does no one any good.

Ever since the hire I can't get 'Pshyco Killer' out of my head.

I too have been on here for well over a year...I just don't post as much as some...regarding my connections...i was 100% right about Golden...he didn't interview, take a call or meet with anyone and not one person with knowledge has said anything different. Additionally, I had the terms of his contract correct including the buy out numbers before anyone in the media reported it. As for Edsall...in time, it will come out that he did say yes when I reported it and he did change his mind on Saturday when Maturi moved on to Kill...Mike Max agrees with me...BTW.

As for Kill...I think he is the best we could get given the parameters...but frankly, he took 5 mintues to hire...not 50 days and $200k...we are his dream job...from HS coach to Big Ten coach.

And for those that love to quote our successes in non-revenue sports as the reason Maturi does an OK job...that's a reasonable point, except in the context of our athletic department loses money because we historically underperform in the three profit generating teams, fb, MBB and to a lessor extent, Hockey and we are spending $550k per year to pay off a loan for the buyouts of Monson and Mason and another $800k this year for the buyour of Brewster...thus extending our losses and making it still mor difficult for the U to change it's losing ways.

And like all typical Mn nice bullcrap...lets stop talking about the bad stuff 5 seconds after they happened so that we can feighn surprise the next time Joel Maturi screws us by making a stupid mistake...like not getting the practice facility done and losing Tubby because he spent the last 18 months extending and then firing Brewster and raising money for a BB stadium that will lose money just like the old stadium and spending $200k and 50 days to hire a coach that we could have hired with an email and a tank a gas!

You are a typical loudmouth Philly blowhard idiot. Go throw batteries at your grandma.

I don't care for Maturi, but more importantly, I don't care about him. I'll spend my time being positive and supporting the program. Your hatred does no one any good.

TITCR. Maturi made a great hire in Kill, now he can ride off into the sunset. Anyone who wastes another thought on him is frittering away their life. We will have a new president next July followed by a new AD shortly thereafter.

Coach says U demoted her because she's a lesbian
Katie Brenny thought she'd coach golf but ended up at a desk job. The University of Minnesota is pursuing a settlement.

http://www.startribune.com/local/so...o8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUoD3aPc:_2yc:a_ncyD_MDCiU

More problems for Joel Maturi. The dithering AD continues to display questionable leadership running this department. When is he held accountable for his decisions? This guy is going to mess up the basketball program...

Top Bottom