Matt Ruhle said the loud stadiums at Minnesota and Colorado to start last season basically took him a bit by surprise.

You don't? Between the piped in music, the roof reflecting sound, and the larger crowd, USBank is way louder than the bank.

It's notable that from his team's games last season, Minnesota and Colorado's atmosphere stood out and not his own home stadium. Nebraska is down bad.

You don't? Between the piped in music, the roof reflecting sound, and the larger crowd, USBank is way louder than the bank.
US Bank is louder at its loudest. But in my experience with the exceptions of second half third downs it’s pretty quiet

The third quarter at US bank has been funeral like in the 4-5 games I’ve been to at Us bank stadium over the course of multiple seasons.

How was it an adjustment? He coached in college before, rather recently too. Baylor never went on the road in a loud stadium?
Baylor is not a program that fills all the stadiums they play in like Nebraska is. Even when they’re good.
His record at Baylor was 1-11
7-6
11-3

But in the 11-3 year the road games after they were in the top 20 were only 2 and they were @3-9 Kansas and @5-7 TCU

He simply hasn’t coached in many big road games as a college coach. In 3 years at Baylor he coached road games in front of just 3 crowds over 60k

In the NFL he coached in 2020 (crowds reduced or not there) and 2021.
His record was 5-11 and 5-11

in those teams he brought a team with a winning record on the road to an opposing stadium just twice.
2-0 Carolina @ 1-1 Houston 2021
2-1 Carolina @ 2-1 Dallas

Last edited:

How was it an adjustment? He coached in college before, rather recently too. Baylor never went on the road in a loud stadium?
There first two games last year was here for the opener and then Colorado for Deion's home opener. I am guessing after Colorado beat TCU, who was fresh off of a national title game, was electric - not to mention rekindling an old time rivalry.

I remember the game vs Nebraska last year was one of the better games as far as atmosphere goes that we've had in a while. The opener is usually a pretty fun game, mix in a conference rival, on a Thursday night before a 3-4 day weekend...

The Bank has been loud at times and quiet at others. Which games do you recall were the loudest?

The first time I remember thinking the bank was a loud stadium was the Halloween Game where we beat Michigan State. This the game that had the "Immaculate Deflection" (Weber throws deep to Tow-Arnett who gets blown up and coughs up the ball, Duane Bennet grabs it on the fly on the way to the end zone). Also remember there being a blown call by the ref that led to a solid 5 minutes of the stadium yelling "Bull****!!"

The Bank has been loud at times and quiet at others. Which games do you recall were the loudest?

The first time I remember thinking the bank was a loud stadium was the Halloween Game where we beat Michigan State. This the game that had the "Immaculate Deflection" (Weber throws deep to Tow-Arnett who gets blown up and coughs up the ball, Duane Bennet grabs it on the fly on the way to the end zone). Also remember there being a blown call by the ref that led to a solid 5 minutes of the stadium yelling "Bull****!!"

That one, the 2012 game under the lights Vs. Syracuse and the Penn State game probably are the best examples of what the atmosphere can be for a Gophers game.

I will say, having been to both, I prefer the atmosphere at Gophers games. I think the best way to describe it is there's maybe more excitement at a Vikings game but more pageantry with the Gophers. I've had fun at either one, but give me a Saturday game over a Sunday one any day.

That one, the 2012 game under the lights Vs. Syracuse and the Penn State game probably are the best examples of what the atmosphere can be for a Gophers game.

I will say, having been to both, I prefer the atmosphere at Gophers games. I think the best way to describe it is there's maybe more excitement at a Vikings game but more pageantry with the Gophers. I've had fun at either one, but give me a Saturday game over a Sunday one any day.
We are fortunate to have two good atmospheres in town. In my opinion.

The Vikings lately have been able to score and not stop anything. So even when they were bad they were entertaining.

Both stadiums, in my opinion, suffer a third quarter hangover from the booze wearing off. The Vikings it is a larger impact.

Are we that jaded out here that we can't just take his comment as a compliment?

The atmosphere that night was electric. The crowd was well lubricated and really loud.
Indeed. The cool crisp air, jet black October sky, students in costumes, and raucous crowd. One of my favorite games at the Bank!

I remember a late October 2012 game where the Nebraska crowd was very loud. Denard Robinson got injured at the end of the first half and was Michigan's only offense that game. (He was often a dominating force. A few years earlier, his passing and running yardage against ND was just over 500 yards!) Now, granted, it was Nebraska beating Michigan, so close or winning their home fans were always quite loud.. It was a night game and cold as **** as well. They would also get quite animated whether winning or losing after a good Cornhusker play, especially on defense.

Top Bottom