Matt Garin Scout 4-Star

goldfan24

Reaction score
Minnesota's highest rated player on the defensive side was just moved to 4**** status along
with Hageman. Congrats to both players and I look forward to seeing both on the field in the next year or so. Way to go Coach Brewster. Let's get Wingo now!!!!

Minnesota's highest rated player on the defensive side was just moved to 4**** status along
with Hageman. Congrats to both players and I look forward to seeing both on the field in the next year or so. Way to go Coach Brewster. Let's get Wingo now!!!!

It also moved the class up from 44th to 40th.

Wow, he's really jumped in the ratings the last couple of months. I think scout had him listed at a 2 star level about 2 months ago. I guess his performance in the Hawaii Prep Classic opened up some eyes!

Why should we be excited about being 40th?

There are only about 120 D1 football programs...this hardly moves our talent pool up to the level of our neighboring states.

There are only about 120 D1 football programs...this hardly moves our talent pool up to the level of our neighboring states.

Actually I believe all I was stating was a fact. I never said if I was excited about it or not. You're right though, it doesn't move us up to our "neighboring states" because we are already AHEAD of both WI and IA.

Relax. Rivals has us at 30 and our class is nearly identical to the 5 teams in front of us. The 5 teams behind us also look very similar. The Gophers average star rating is 3.05 and Illinois which is 25 is also 3.05. Some classes like Illinois have more 4 stars (7 to 3) but also have more 2 stars (6 to 2) and the Gophers class is heavy on highly rated 3 stars. The only reason Illinois is ahead of us is because Rivals favors 4 stars within their calculation but at the end of the day you have to put 22 players on the field and our class has a lot more depth than Illinois. Eight of our thirteen 3 star players are rated at 5.7 (the highest 3 star rating) so looking at our average star rating of 3.05 is the equivalent of ignoring +'s and -'s in calculating GPA. Many of these guys are just a notch off of being 4 star players (like Ra'Shede, the #6 rated TE but only the top 5 TE's are rated 4 stars).

Our memories are as short as our ability to disseminate data.

Love the feedback - let me ask it a different way

If we are 7 win team with an inexperienced and/or average coaching staff, how do we expect to break into the top 25 with a top 40 recruiting class?

It's call heart and determination. Have you ever seen the most talented athlete in the world but had no passion (think of Michael Olowokandi of the NBA)? Brew seems to be a motivator and gets the kids ready to play. That is immeasurable.

top 40 class?

where do you get this stuff? We are ranked 30th right now and will be ranked top 25 on signing day. If you are using scouts ranking system, don't. Scouts rankings are complete garbage. They have Garin as a 4 star and Lipscomb as a 3 star. They have no clue who is good and who sucks.

It's all building blocks.

2 points I can make.

If you look at avg stars we're actually 34th right now in scout. The fat lady hasn't started singing yet either.

The reality of the situation is that certain conferences are laden with talented teams, they can't all win. So really being the 30-35th best team talent wise out there can get you into the top 25 with just a little luck. So there's an answer. But really you would have to average out a few years to link recruiting and top 25 anyway.

The way that I am looking at this class is a class to add quality depth. There are not many stars or immediate game-changers in this class, (although they might develop into those) but there are quality players being added to the team. Next year's class will be a top-10, mark it down now.

Top Bottom