Match PP to a former Gopher

What former Gopher does PP remind you of?

• John Thomas

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Mbawkwe

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Ralph Sampson III

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Jordan Murphy

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other - please post who

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
Payne has had two very well played offensive games in the past 3. Most of which have been layups and dunks. There have been some very effective passing from him as well as he has racked up some nice assists.

So who do you compare him too?

He is still raw and needs to extend his range and board better but he looks very promising.

My two closest matches to former Gophers are John Thomas and Trevor Mbawkwe.

Time will tell if he can develop the range and defense to equal Thomas or the absolute beast mode physicality and speed that made Mbawkwe so fun to watch.

I think he is just a little behind the first year version of Oturu. Can he develop an outside shot like Oturu did? We'll see.

I think he is just a little behind the first year version of Oturu. Can he develop an outside shot like Oturu did? We'll see.
I don't think I'd even try to establish an outside shot with him. Maybe a 10-15 footer but that's as far as I'd extend him. Keep working on post development and just become a beast inside.

I like Payne but Oturu was special, very special for a college player. Oturu was starting on a tourney team as a freshman, and was the undisputed man on the team the following year averaging 20 and 10. Payne has a LOT of work to do to close in on his skills. He will be better next year but that would be a big jump. To his benefit, he is already as strong, if not stronger then Oturu was.

Last edited:

I don't think I'd even try to establish an outside shot with him. Maybe a 10-15 footer but that's as far as I'd extend him. Keep working on post development and just become a beast inside.
Agree. FT line and in. If he plays with another big who is a good passer, it would nice if PP could hit a 10-12 footer in the lane or on the baseline.
What I’d really like to see him develop is some McHale-like post moves. Keep him away from the 3-point line.

Last edited:

Payne is more man child than Oturu. Oturu had a decent shot and extended it his second year. I think he’d still be in the league had he stayed another year and matured and developed more. Really good footwork.

Payne and Mbawkwe are two from the same cloth. Not sure if Payne is as quick and explosive of a jumper as Mbawkwe.

I don't think I'd even try to establish an outside shot with him. Maybe a 10-15 footer but that's as far as I'd extend him.
That’s all he needs.

I think all the clatter about Stretch 4 is overrated.
Welch from Maryland isn’t going to go out and shoot treys, nor does he have to.
Keep working on post development and just become a beast inside.

Payne is more man child than Oturu. Oturu had a decent shot and extended it his second year. I think he’d still be in the league had he stayed another year and matured and developed more. Really good footwork.

Payne and Mbawkwe are two from the same cloth. Not sure if Payne is as quick and explosive of a jumper as Mbawkwe.
Oturu, to his credit, turned himself into a highly skilled player. Unfortunately for Big Dan, his physical profile does hold him back a bit in the NBA. He isn't that tall or built and he isn't an explosive athlete.

Payne is a bit more raw but has more of an NBA physical profile. I don't think Payne will average 20 points per game any time soon, but I also don't think the offense will ever run through him (it shouldn't). He will also have more of an all around game, he'll be better at hedging screens, he already blocks more shots and gets more assists. His "offense" can come within the flow of a normal NBA offense (PNR, running the lane, etc.).

Payne's game would look so much better with a good PG (think that one massive alley oop vs. Rutgers).

Top Bottom