Mask mandate

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Do you think everyone would have been able to just go out and get N95 or surgical masks right away? Due to supply issues, I think it was fine to use cloth masks because they're still probably better than nothing. But we've had plenty of time to now be recommending the better masks.
Hmmmm, that's quite the narrative change on yoir end, no?

Wally

Reaction score

It's called common sense something you are in short supply of.

And I have been saying it about masks from day one, hmm how did I know that?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I don't think so. Still think cloth masks are better than nothing. But feel like there are better options and we're almost two years into this, should be more effort to push the better masks.

Cloth masks were an easy and cheap option early on. Like they're finally doing with the at home tests (finally), why not make better masks available for free or at a discounted price?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
They appear to have supply right now. I don't know the answer to your question.
Surgical masks have become hard to come by at times, so I'm guessing these would be too if the demand increased. That's more my point.

GopherJake

Reaction score
Surgical masks have become hard to come by at times, so I'm guessing these would be too if the demand increased. That's more my point.
I agree with the sentiment of your argument. If you want people to wear masks and get tested, and we consider this a public emergency, priority one should be to ramp up supply of those two things.

I don't care about masks any more, I'm done with them (unless mandated, which I will happily comply without being dick - not that difficult). We are all going to get the virus at some point, but if you are vaccinated, your symptoms will more than likely be mild - those of us that aren't morons whose primary goal is safety and not to own libs are where we need to be. I'm with @Wally - let 'er rip and if you are someone without an excuse for not taking the vaccine, then, well, sorry/not sorry, bud. If you do have an excuse, it's time for society to resume and it's your turn to accommodate.

Testing, is different. If tests were readily available and cheap, anyone that tests positive has an obligation to stay "out of the way" so as not to infect others. But they've done a poor job with test supply.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Do you think everyone would have been able to just go out and get N95 or surgical masks right away? Due to supply issues, I think it was fine to use cloth masks because they're still probably better than nothing. But we've had plenty of time to now be recommending the better masks.
Oh my how we spin.....are you little red lying hoods brother?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I can't even with these clowns

All of the debate, all of the shit kids have had to go through, and yet now, " I guess its better than nothing"
What amazes me is you took me kinda agreeing with you about cloth masks and turned it into me being a clown. You're just so hell bent on disagreeing with everything I say that you can't even think about what you're saying.

Carry on.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
You got me. Nothing gets past you. You're probably the person that presents evidence and proof better than anyone else.
Being told that cloth protects anyone from this virus didnt get by you, did it? Nothing gets past our own GII, aka Dr Mask.

Own it instead of being a slippery tool.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Being told that cloth protects anyone from this virus didnt get by you, did it? Nothing gets past our own GII, aka Dr Mask.

Own it instead of being a slippery tool.
I wish I was as cool as you with all the name-calling you do. Makes you seem so smart. You'll have to teach me one day.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I wish I was as cool as you with all the name-calling you do. Makes you seem so smart. You'll have to teach me one day.
Cool? Nah, just an easy, easy target GII.

Own your trash, GII. Stop spinning and avoiding. You've become quite adept and those two traits.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Cool? Nah, just an easy, easy target GII.

Own your trash, GII. Stop spinning and avoiding. You've become quite adept and those two traits.
I'm stupid. Please explain exactly what I'm spinning and avoiding. I can't even tell anymore.

Section2

Reaction score
They were not better than nothing. They were worse than nothing. It’s not a coincidence that every “solution” prescribed by public health to covid, is not things you can do to protect yourself, but things you must do to protect others.

Wally

Reaction score
They were not better than nothing. They were worse than nothing. It’s not a coincidence that every “solution” prescribed by public health to covid, is not things you can do to protect yourself, but things you must do to protect others.

Somebody doesn't know what "Public Health" means...🙄🙄🙄

pub·lic health

noun
the health of the population as a whole, especially as the subject of government regulation and support.

It's like asking why didn't The Fed tell me how to get rich.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
You really believe that the vaccine has not been promoted as something people can do to protect themselves? Social distancing?

But yeah, that's kinda how infectious diseases work. It's a combination of things to protect yourselves and each other.

Section2

Reaction score

pub·lic health

noun
the health of the population as a whole, especially as the subject of government regulation and support.

Stop embarrassing yourself

kg21

Reaction score

pub·lic health

noun

I went with your thoughts and definition.

So in the interest of public health, I propose we shut the border to help keep some covid out of the US.

I dug way down to come up with that preposterous thought. When I came up with this idea, I was thinking in the interest of public health.

Section2

Reaction score
You really believe that the vaccine has not been promoted as something people can do to protect themselves? Social distancing?

But yeah, that's kinda how infectious diseases work. It's a combination of things to protect yourselves and each other.
Yes. Vaccine mandates are about protecting others. Taking the vaccine is about trying to prevent variants. It’s about keeping hospitals from being overrun. Why is the left freaking out that people don’t want to take the vaccine?

contrast with public policy on infectious diseases from the H1N1 pandemic? Very very different recommendations. Pure coincidence?

howeda7

Reaction score
Yes. Vaccine mandates are about protecting others. Taking the vaccine is about trying to prevent variants. It’s about keeping hospitals from being overrun. Why is the left freaking out that people don’t want to take the vaccine?

contrast with public policy on infectious diseases from the H1N1 pandemic? Very very different recommendations. Pure coincidence?
How many Americans died of H1N1 again?

Section2

Reaction score
How many Americans died of H1N1 again?
Fewer than covid, but H1N1 was more severe for kids than Covid. Covid is more severe to the elderly. I care more about kids than nursing home residents personally.

howeda7

Reaction score
Fewer than covid, but H1N1 was more severe for kids than Covid. Covid is more severe to the elderly. I care more about kids than nursing home residents personally.
"fewer". By just a little? H1N1 is estimated to have killed 250K worldwide. Covid is up to 5.5 million. So you want to know why the one that killed 20 times as many people had different policies?

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
I don't think so. Still think cloth masks are better than nothing. But feel like there are better options and we're almost two years into this, should be more effort to push the better masks.

Cloth masks were an easy and cheap option early on. Like they're finally doing with the at home tests (finally), why not make better masks available for free or at a discounted price?

Top Bottom