Mask mandate

bga1

Reaction score
Sadly, many of the anti-everything 40% subscribes to the all or nothing perspective. The institutions listed are certainly not infallible but many of the 40% latch on to the occasional error and suddenly everything from every one of these institutions is no longer to be trusted. Oddly, this group puts a HUGE amount of credence to much more spurious and easily debunked sources including, strangely, social media. The anti-everything crowd is extremely prone to confirmation bias- they keep looking for any shred of 'evidence' that what they want to believe is true. As can be seen on this board, they just tie themselves up in knots of contradiction.
Dreadfully false post. Sorry, but it's the "well scrubbed and accepted" expert class that has become the successful target of payoffs. Look at how wrong these "experts" have been about nearly everything the past several years. Many have given up good science in favor of good paying science. Research dollars and approval depend on fixing thing to fit narratives. Look at the great fall of NIH, the WHO, Fauci and the Lancett in the past few years- just to name a few.

Last edited:

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I see one faction of the OTB consistently advocating for individuals to be team players by using masks and vaccines to reduce transmission and the need for shutdowns and restrictions that are required in their absence.

I see another faction of the OTB arguing against masks and vaccines using the ol' "If it doesn't kill me, I don't care if I spread it and it kills you" trope. These folks interestingly ALSO argue against the very shutdowns and restrictions that are necessary because of their take on masks and vaccines.
Time out. There's a big difference between arguing against masks and arguing against vaccines, and for that matter, a completely different matter altogether to argue against vax mandates.

Doesn't help your case when you just arbitrarily lump all of these together.

The masks are essentially absolutely f'ng useless and should go away immediately, unless you want to do so for your own personal well-being. At the moment, that's the biggest issue I have. It's easy to say no big deal when masks aren't being mandated where you live.

Wally

Reaction score
The vaxxed transfer the disease just as readily as the unvaxxed. Worse yet the vaxxed often carry the disease without knowing it- making them the new super spreaders of this disease. Be proud.
I am proud, If you're to stupid or scared to protect yourself idgaf.

The unvaxxed are killing the vaxxed because hospitals are full and they can't do routine treatments and surgeries.

howeda7

Reaction score
Dreadfully false post. Sorry, but it's the "well scrubbed and accepted" expert class that has become the successful target of payoffs. Look at how wrong these "experts" have been about nearly everything the past several years. Many have given up good science in favor of good paying science. Research dollars and approval depend on fixing thing to fit narratives. Look at the great fall of NIH, the WHO, Fauci and the Lancett in the past few years- just to name a few.
Can't trust: the NIH, the FDA, the WHO, Dr. Fauci, the FBI, The Washington Post, the New York Times, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, scientists or researchers from virtually any US university.

Can trust: The Rising Serpent, the Epoch Times, World Net Daily and the National Enquirer.

TRF Guy

Reaction score
Can't trust: the NIH, the FDA, the WHO, Dr. Fauci, the FBI, The Washington Post, the New York Times, ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, scientists or researchers from virtually any US university.

Can trust: The Rising Serpent, the Epoch Times, World Net Daily and the National Enquirer.
Talk about reaching. You have completely lost it Howard

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score

You're getting there. I know, it's hard with cognitive dissonance. But you'll get there

Go4Broke

Reaction score
decorative image

Do masks protect you and others from COVID-19?

LAST UPDATED Oct. 25, 2021, at 5:00 p.m.

What you can assume

They do. But effectiveness depends on the type of mask you and those around you are wearing.

Why we make this assumption

• There’s been a lot of research on mask effectiveness since the start of the pandemic.
  • Back in March and April 2020, there was genuine debate among scientists about whether masking was significantly effective at preventing the spread of COVID-19, especially compared with interventions like social distancing. That has not been the case for at least a year.
  • In January 2021, a systematic review of many different types of studies concluded that mask wearing — especially if widely adopted — was effective at reducing COVID-19 transmission.
  • An August 2021 study of nearly 350,000 adults across 600 villages in Bangladesh found that widespread use of surgical masks, even at levels below 50 percent, reduced the likelihood of contracting COVID-19 by 11 percent — 35 percent for people over 60.
  • Your cloth mask is not as effective as you probably think it is.
Research has shown that not all types of masks are created equal, especially now that the more transmissible delta variant is predominant.

For example, experts have been warning for a while that bandanas and thin fabric neck gaiters aren’t effective at blocking transmission of airborne particles. But additional evidence now shows that even multilayered cloth masks aren’t as effective as well-fitting surgical or N95 masks.

One study that hasn’t yet been peer-reviewed found that fabric face masks (which have a lot of variability in design and material) blocked between 62.6 to 87.1 percent of fine particles, while surgical masks blocked an average of 78.2 percent and N95s blocked 99.6 percent. Some countries, including France, have banned DIY cloth masks and stipulated that only certain types of factory-produced varieties are acceptable.

Early in the pandemic, cloth masks were promoted as a way to get people masked up when there was a shortage of higher-quality masks, but mask supply has since caught up with the demand in the United States. N95s — and the Chinese- and Korean-made equivalent KN95s and KF94s — are widely available now, and, as of Sept. 10, the CDC says they should not just be reserved for medical staff. Proper fit is a big deal here, though. A poorly fitting surgical mask is not an upgrade from a well-fitting cloth mask.

Last edited:

KGF

Reaction score

Have any of the unnamed maskless Republican Senators that allegedly gave Covid, caught Covid? None that I know of. Can’t give it if you didn’t catch it.

Last edited:

bga1

Reaction score

Have any of the unnamed maskless Republican Senators that allegedly gave Covid, caught Covid? None that I know of. Can’t give it if you didn’t catch it.
Lying is like breathing to so many members of Congress. Drain the swamp.

Spoofin

Reaction score

I’m just impressed you posted that before Broke did.

Reactions: KGF

KGF

Reaction score
I’m just impressed you posted that before Broke did.
It took being isolated by my wife’s Covid for me to take the time. We’re at the end today.

I noticed that Biden’s exposure to Covid infected didn’t result in isolation for him. Great example of do as I say, not as I do.

Wally

Reaction score

No Republicans have had Covid now.🙄

They probably imitate their fearless leader and hide the fact they have it, while exposing many people and only admit it if they are sick enough to get hospitalized. That is exactly how sick and twisted the right is.

KGF

Reaction score
OMG, this is an environmental crisis! We must do something immediately! Ban mask making!

JimmyJamesMD

Reaction score
Fantastic. My hat is off to her! It takes a lot of guts to tell the truth in the face of the narrative. There will be a lot of hate coming her way.

The CNN guy looked like he swallowed a toad.
Cloth masks dont work now???? You dont say.

I bet the gaiters still work though!!!!!!

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Masks continue to be pointlessly mandated here in southern NV. And enforcement is laughable, which begs the question why the charade?

I push the envelope basically whenever possible, and it seems a lot of people are doing the same. If businesses want to actively enforce it and ask me to wear the mask, they can certainly ask me to put it on. 19 times out of 20, they don't say anything, they are worn out and they understand that the masks do nothing anyway. I always have one with me, and if an employee asks me to comply, I would do so without making any issue at all.

Sure enough, if there was a place I would expect someone to say something, I was in Whole Foods the other day. I enjoy the shopping choices at Whole Foods, it's only the clientele that I loathe.

I walk through the store, mask in hand in case a staff member asks me to put it on, and there's maybe only 25% not wearing masks (most other places are 50% or more). I have no issue until the checkout. Standing in my checkout line, at some point I randomly happen to make eye contact with your standard 28-34 yr old angry white liberal man from three checkout lines over, like 15 feet away. He says something to the effect of 'maybe put your mask on' or maybe you should put your mask on. I simply nod at him politely and continue about my business. No need for rudeness or angry confrontation. He felt he did his part, and I was completely polite, no harm, no foul. Both parties go away happy (or at least I did I guess, not sure how happy he was).

GopherJake

Reaction score
Masks continue to be pointlessly mandated here in southern NV. And enforcement is laughable, which begs the question why the charade?

I push the envelope basically whenever possible, and it seems a lot of people are doing the same. If businesses want to actively enforce it and ask me to wear the mask, they can certainly ask me to put it on. 19 times out of 20, they don't say anything, they are worn out and they understand that the masks do nothing anyway. I always have one with me, and if an employee asks me to comply, I would do so without making any issue at all.

Sure enough, if there was a place I would expect someone to say something, I was in Whole Foods the other day. I enjoy the shopping choices at Whole Foods, it's only the clientele that I loathe.

I walk through the store, mask in hand in case a staff member asks me to put it on, and there's maybe only 25% not wearing masks (most other places are 50% or more). I have no issue until the checkout. Standing in my checkout line, at some point I randomly happen to make eye contact with your standard 28-34 yr old angry white liberal man from three checkout lines over, like 15 feet away. He says something to the effect of 'maybe put your mask on' or maybe you should put your mask on. I simply nod at him politely and continue about my business. No need for rudeness or angry confrontation. He felt he did his part, and I was completely polite, no harm, no foul. Both parties go away happy (or at least I did I guess, not sure how happy he was).
Yeah, I can completely understand the desire to do that. I also do not wear a mask, unless specifically required. If the sign says, "we strongly encourage" or words to that effect, I go maskless. However, I feel like it is common courtesy to wear the mask, when the sign says "required" or words to that effect.

And, of course you realize that, among the reasons you aren't confronted where it's clear it is required, quite probably a significant amount of time the person that is put in the position to confront you is scared of the reaction that most certainly some jackasses give them. That person has no idea if you will be the easy target that will simply comply if asked or the jackass that will cause a scene. To me, to put that person in that position is quite selfish and rude.

bga1

Reaction score
Yeah, I can completely understand the desire to do that. I also do not wear a mask, unless specifically required. If the sign says, "we strongly encourage" or words to that effect, I go maskless. However, I feel like it is common courtesy to wear the mask, when the sign says "required" or words to that effect.

And, of course you realize that, among the reasons you aren't confronted where it's clear it is required, quite probably a significant amount of time the person that is put in the position to confront you is scared of the reaction that most certainly some jackasses give them. That person has no idea if you will be the easy target that will simply comply if asked or the jackass that will cause a scene. To me, to put that person in that position is quite selfish and rude.
There are some very good jackasses on both sides....

KGF

Reaction score
Fantastic. My hat is off to her! It takes a lot of guts to tell the truth in the face of the narrative. There will be a lot of hate coming her way.

The CNN guy looked like he swallowed a toad.
In this case, she’s just telling the truth. She’s a CovidNazi though.

But that is one of the ridiculous things about mask mandates. They can force you, or try to force you, to wear a mask, but who is to say whether it actually is an effective mask.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Actually, I doubt that is the major reason. The primary reason, and I've said this from the beginning, is that the person making $10-$15/hr at the grocery store or convenience store is not getting paid to bust people's balls about wearing a placebo on their face. If I were in their shoes, I would feel the same way. Not in my job description, Sir.

EDIT: I should follow up with, I don't employ this practice with the mask, pushing the envelope, to be noncompliant and argumentative or virtue signaling or whatever.

I do this because seeing people without masks should NOT look out of the ordinary. Not wearing a mask should NOT be the outlier. People need to see each other's faces, to interact with each other, to communicate with each other, to better understand each other. It should look normal for someone to not be wearing a mask. It's important to our country that we get back to this

KGF

Reaction score
Lol. She’s outdoors with a drink in her hand.
You can do that in Florida. You could do it in NYC too if they had outdoor dining in the winter.

The point is lefties go to Florida to be free while preaching people shouldn’t be free to make choices.

Gold Vision

Reaction score
You can do that in Florida. You could do it in NYC too if they had outdoor dining in the winter.

The point is lefties go to Florida to be free while preaching people shouldn’t be free to make choices.
You can do that pretty much everywhere. Lefties and Righties go to Florida in December because it’s warm.

If you’re trying to escape Covid policy, Miami-Dade is the last place in Florida you want to be. Miami is an extremely liberal city, about as blue as it gets with a ton of local mandates.

I’m not an AOC fan, but this is a huge reach.

KGF

Reaction score
You can do that pretty much everywhere. Lefties and Righties go to Florida in December because it’s warm.

If you’re trying to escape Covid policy, Miami-Dade is the last place in Florida you want to be. Miami is an extremely liberal city, about as blue as it gets with a ton of local mandates.

I’m not an AOC fan, but this is a huge reach.
DeSantis banned localities from mask mandates and other Covid restrictions. It doesn’t matter how blue Miami-Dade is.

I live in Cook County Illinois and Florida. Trust me. It’s a completely different Covid world. People go to Florida to be free of the BS. And I hear small business owners rip the Illinois governor and praise DeSantis in Florida.

Top Bottom