Mask mandate

bga1

Reaction score
We are on day 24 of the Walz indoor mask mandate. Why do we still have new cases? Just curious. I was certain that masks would end it.

USAF

Reaction score
We are on day 24 of the Walz indoor mask mandate. Why do we still have new cases? Just curious. I was certain that masks would end it.
We're many years into the seat belt mandate. Why do we still have traffic deaths? I was certain seat belts would prevent all deaths.

Section2

Reaction score
We're many years into the seat belt mandate. Why do we still have traffic deaths? I was certain seat belts would prevent all deaths.
you think the transmission of a virus is comparable to a car crash?

From the Parkinglot

Reaction score
Speed
Drinking and driving
Distracts driving
Number of people driving cars
People that are just terrible drivers in general
Plus how angry people get on the roads in order to save a couple of minutes while driving.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I think the point is something doesn't have to be 100% effective to still be worth doing. No one has claimed masks would completely stop the virus and new infections, just like no one claims seat belts will save every life when someone crashes.

BarnBurner

Reaction score
I think the point is something doesn't have to be 100% effective to still be worth doing. No one has claimed masks would completely stop the virus and new infections, just like no one claims seat belts will save every life when someone crashes.
At what point can we then return to doing business as before? With masks, of course. Lets have the definitive answer.

Section2

Reaction score
We can give up our liberty for the illusion of a tiny bit of extra safety and security and we never get it back. That's how this works. 14 days to slow the spread became permanent. If you tell me mask usage is somewhat effective, I'd say fine, but look at the bigger picture. It's not accomplishing anything but dragging this out longer and causing more collateral damage.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
We can give up our liberty for the illusion of a tiny bit of extra safety and security and we never get it back. That's how this works. 14 days to slow the spread became permanent. If you tell me mask usage is somewhat effective, I'd say fine, but look at the bigger picture. It's not accomplishing anything but dragging this out longer and causing more collateral damage.
I would say that if the mask mandate allows businesses to stay open, it is worth a try.
In places where the virus spreads via contact at a business, the business gets closed. Boom.
Now, if we all want to take a step back and wonder what the big picture is, I'm all for it. Nobody seems to have any goal except "don't get the virus". Barring a vaccine, which isn't coming any time soon (in the meaning of soon most people understand), we will either be hiding in the closet for months or letting this run its course naturally, while shielding those for whom this is more deadly.
So, with the goal "keep the numbers down", let's wear the masks and keep some commerce going.
If you want to let 'er rip, I'll join you. I'll probably still wear a mask, though.

bga1

Reaction score
Maybe we should mandate chastity belts then....

I think that the One Child Policy might work! Save the planet!

bga1

Reaction score
I would say that if the mask mandate allows businesses to stay open, it is worth a try.
In places where the virus spreads via contact at a business, the business gets closed. Boom.
Now, if we all want to take a step back and wonder what the big picture is, I'm all for it. Nobody seems to have any goal except "don't get the virus". Barring a vaccine, which isn't coming any time soon (in the meaning of soon most people understand), we will either be hiding in the closet for months or letting this run its course naturally, while shielding those for whom this is more deadly.
So, with the goal "keep the numbers down", let's wear the masks and keep some commerce going.
If you want to let 'er rip, I'll join you. I'll probably still wear a mask, though.
The only thing stopping businesses from being open are other mandates. Let people choose the risks they want to take. You don't want to go to a business? Don't! I'm not buying Goodyear tires any more! :) But that's optional.

Flatten the curve is over. That was a lie.

diehard

Reaction score
Masks... SMH. The Mayo Clinic has banned the masks with valves. The valve makes you a
turbo spreader" of the virus. The cloth masks were just desginated by Duke Medical as being a lethal spreader of the virus vs. no mask. This board is loaded with chicken little idiots. Gullible.

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score

Why did we need a mask mandate to keep businesses open? Because Walz said so? I'm actually all for the mask mandate if it allows us to go back to completely normal. But that's not the case either. If it works, why can't we?

So I guess we'll continue to pretend that wearing a mask for 30 seconds while walking into the gym, then removing it while we breathe hard next to strangers is actually doing something.

Or that wearing a mask for 30 seconds while walking into a restaurant, then removing it to have drinks and a meal with friends, is actually accomplishing something.

It's amazing what passes for 'Science' in 2020.

Last edited:

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Did you go to any businesses late March to late July?

USAF

Reaction score
No, but I assumed you'd be bright enough to recognize a blindingly obvious sarcastic analogy.

My bad, I overestimated you.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Masks... SMH. The Mayo Clinic has banned the masks with valves. The valve makes you a
turbo spreader" of the virus. The cloth masks were just desginated by Duke Medical as being a lethal spreader of the virus vs. no mask. This board is loaded with chicken little idiots. Gullible.
That was just a very thin neck gaiter. Cloth masks did pretty well in that study actually.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Who's been in a permanent lockdown? Are there businesses that are still completely shut down?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Maybe we should mandate chastity belts then....

I think that the One Child Policy might work! Save the planet!
Those are definitely equal comparisons to wearing a mask. Honestly my life is in ruins because I wear a mask a few hours a day.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
At what point can we then return to doing business as before? With masks, of course. Lets have the definitive answer.
It's not my call to make. What do you consider doing business as before? My opinion is the more we can do to try slow the spread, the closer we can get to normalcy.

John Galt

Reaction score
Many Lakeville kids have gotten Covid recently, and the symptoms are nonexistent or a headache and not feeling well, for a day or two.
A friend of ours in high school got it. He also passed it on to his girlfriend. He had what amounted to a bad cold with a headache for 2 days. She didn’t have a single symptom- not a sniffle.

John Galt

Reaction score
It's not my call to make. What do you consider doing business as before? My opinion is the more we can do to try slow the spread, the closer we can get to normalcy.
I’d argue the faster we spread it the better and the faster we get to normalcy.

John Galt

Reaction score
Those are definitely equal comparisons to wearing a mask. Honestly my life is in ruins because I wear a mask a few hours a day.
It doesn’t ruin anyone’s life, but it is a freedom you gave away. One day they will take one that means something to you.

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a bit like saying "I'm not putting on any mosquito repellent, because I still get bit".
If solution result is greater than zero, abandon solution, even if result is 50% better than no solution.
The consistency is very troubling, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what they hell they want people to do. That's the issue for me. Tell me I have to where a mask? Fine..

- then why can't I go to the f'ng movies if you're requiring masks?
- then why can't I go to a bar if you're requiring masks?
- then why can't I go to a college football game if you're requiring masks?

This would be more palatable if the folks on the side of making masks mandatory and keeping things locked down would at least acknowledge that at the heart of this, it's 80-90% political and 10-20% a public health issue. Just be honest about it

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
I’d argue the faster we spread it the better and the faster we get to normalcy.
There has to be a balance between just letting it spread like wildfires and shutting everything down. Regardless of anyone's opinion if it's right or wrong, the closer we get to it spreading uncontrolled, the more likely it is that things get shut down. We can continue to argue if that's the right or wrong approach but no matter what that is the reality of what will probably happen.

saintpaulguy

Reaction score
The consistency is very troubling, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what they hell they want people to do. That's the issue for me. Tell me I have to where a mask? Fine..

- then why can't I go to the f'ng movies if you're requiring masks?
- then why can't I go to a bar if you're requiring masks?
- then why can't I go to a college football game if you're requiring masks?

This would be more palatable if the folks on the side of making masks mandatory and keeping things locked down would at least acknowledge that at the heart of this, it's 80-90% political and 10-20% a public health issue. Just be honest about it
right now, you can do the first two here. And I totally agree. My point, probably, not well made, is if it takes wearing a mask to open it all up, I'm willing to make that trade.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
It doesn’t ruin anyone’s life, but it is a freedom you gave away. One day they will take one that means something to you.
Many freedoms have been taken away for years for public health sake, why is this all of a sudden the tipping point for some? To me it's such a minor thing and in many cases isn't really being monitored closely, except at private businesses.

Section2

Reaction score
Who's been in a permanent lockdown? Are there businesses that are still completely shut down?
the 14 days was not the lockdown. it was stay home, slow the spread, social distancing, etc.

Top Bottom