Maryland RB Out Game/ LB Out for Hit on Penn State Kicker - Washington Post

Iceland12

Reaction score
Maryland running back Trey Edmunds will miss several weeks after fracturing his right foot during Monday’s practice, Coach DJ Durkin announced on Tuesday.

Edmunds, a Virginia Tech graduate transfer who had carved out a place in Maryland’s crowded backfield with a punishing running style, will undergo surgery later this week. The fracture had been developing over time, Durkin said, but it came to a head during Monday’s practice when Edmunds fell during a play and felt discomfort in his foot. He finished practice, but an X-ray later revealed the injury...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-will-miss-several-weeks-with-fractured-foot/

Isaiah Davis is suspended by DJ Durkin for late hit on Penn State kicker Joey Julius

Maryland Coach DJ Durkin has suspended redshirt freshman linebacker Isaiah Davis one game for his late hit on Penn State kicker Joey Julius in last Saturday’s 38-14 loss to the Nittany Lions.

Davis, who was ejected after he hit Julius after the whistle on the opening kickoff of the second half, will sit out Maryland’s game against Minnesota on Saturday.

“Isaiah is a great young man, he’s a great member of our team. We love him. He made a very bad decision. We are a work in progress in learning what our team is about, what our culture is about. I spend a lot of time talking to our guys and trying to educate them on respecting the game we play. Respecting our team and being accountable to each other,” Durkin said on Tuesday. “And that really violates all of those things.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-late-hit-on-penn-state-kicker-joey-julius/

Isaiah Davis is suspended by DJ Durkin for late hit on Penn State kicker Joey Julius

Maryland Coach DJ Durkin has suspended redshirt freshman linebacker Isaiah Davis one game for his late hit on Penn State kicker Joey Julius in last Saturday’s 38-14 loss to the Nittany Lions.

Davis, who was ejected after he hit Julius after the whistle on the opening kickoff of the second half, will sit out Maryland’s game against Minnesota on Saturday.

I get it that those are penalties, but certainly no worse than the targeting call that should have been called on Iowa for Mitch's concussion. You can't launch your helmet into a player, yet no penalty, no suspension for Iowa.

If you ask me, the Penn State kicker is just begging to be hammered.

If you ask me, the Penn State kicker is just begging to be hammered.

I agree. The players just need to make sure they block him right away so it isn't considered a late hit.

I get it that those are penalties, but certainly no worse than the targeting call that should have been called on Iowa for Mitch's concussion. You can't launch your helmet into a player, yet no penalty, no suspension for Iowa.

It wasn't targeting and he didn't launch his helmet into Leidner. Go back and watch the replay in slow motion. It was a clean hit.

Targeting calls are made when a "defenseless player" is hit. Leidner was running a outside sweep when he was hit and he was not out of bounds. There are almost no situations when a runner is considered a "defenseless player".

There was not call to be made on that that play.

Clean hit but second hit was out of bounds. Penalty not called but certainly punishable. Really no excuse from not calling the second hit,

Clean hit but second hit was out of bounds. Penalty not called but certainly punishable. Really no excuse from not calling the second hit,

They practically hit him at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I think of it, was there any word on how Claeys dealt with Waters? Did Waters play at all against Iowa?

Now that I think of it, was there any word on how Claeys dealt with Waters? Did Waters play at all against Iowa?

He played.

Interesting take. We should start a thread on this. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on that hit. Discuss....

Interesting take. We should start a thread on this. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on that hit. Discuss....

Good humor isn't it? Upon further review, only one player hits him and there is no launch or target. Again he's not defenseless.

https://vimeo.com/187116849

Do you suppose that Franklin is coaching his kicker to be a jerk and try to create the penalty? No James Franklin would never coach that way. Never

Do you suppose that Franklin is coaching his kicker to be a jerk and try to create the penalty? No James Franklin would never coach that way. Never

Not sure the kicker handing out legit hits is "be a jerk".

Not sure about this but he certainly doesn't seem to discourage him from flopping.

Basically it boils down to if he was defenseless. To me it seems he's running out of bounds.
In this day and age of protecting players I can't believe that leading with your helmet into the helmet of another player is legal if you have opportunity to avoid that type of hit.

Anyway - done discussing until the next time it happens!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 42

Basically it boils down to if he was defenseless. To me it seems he's running out of bounds.
In this day and age of protecting players I can't believe that leading with your helmet into the helmet of another player is legal if you have opportunity to avoid that type of hit.

Anyway - done discussing until the next time it happens!

However he isn't out of bounds when contact starts. The defender's first contact is with shoulder and then Leidner's head whips from contact. The side of iowa's helmet makes contact with Leidner's.

No crown involved
No launch involved
No defenseless player involved

He did but was not allowed to hit anyone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He did but was not allowed to hit anyone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He actually got into it again at the end of a kickoff.

Interesting that Claeys did not suspend and Maryland coach did. Basically same play.

However he isn't out of bounds when contact starts. The defender's first contact is with shoulder and then Leidner's head whips from contact. The side of iowa's helmet makes contact with Leidner's.

No crown involved
No launch involved
No defenseless player involved

He did hit him with the crown of his helmet IMO.

It is interesting you think spearing someone in the head is ok but the love tap shoulder to shoulder hit on Meat Loaf from PSU was "flagrant" and worthy of ejection. Just because one is technically maybe legal (he was obviously going out of bounds -really any different than sliding?) doesn't make it right.

Up is down, blue is red.

He actually got into it again at the end of a kickoff.

Interesting that Claeys did not suspend and Maryland coach did. Basically same play.

Because Claeys understands it wasn't flagrant.

I kind of wondered what "I'll take care of it" meant from Claeys. I wondered from the beginning if that wasn't more to just get Franklin to drop it.

I think coach's are pretty lenient as far as what they expect the other coach to do in such situations. They all get that their jobs are hard and discipline difficult. It might be just enough that Claeys acknowledged the situation a from there Franklin considered it over / Claeys business.

Outside the most egregious acts the whole dance where one coach raises an issue with a hit or something that happened during a game, and the other coach says publicly they'll handle and everyone just moves on seems pretty common.

I think coach's are pretty lenient as far as what they expect the other coach to do in such situations. They all get that their jobs are hard and discipline difficult. It might be just enough that Claeys acknowledged the situation a from there Franklin considered it over / Claeys business.

Outside the most egregious acts the whole dance where one coach raises an issue with a hit or something that happened during a game, and the other coach says publicly they'll handle and everyone just moves on seems pretty common.

True, I agree with all that. I'll say though that from what little I saw on TV it seemed Franklin was making a bigger deal out of it than warranted, certainly more than Claeys would have if the roles were reversed. Maybe I was looking into a five second camera shot too much though

Just rewarched the DVR and he does strike him with the crown, the torque of the hit turns the Iowa players helmet towards the sideline after the initial strike. Really no reason to strike him as high as he did. Flagrant head shot.

True, I agree with all that. I'll say though that from what little I saw on TV it seemed Franklin was making a bigger deal out of it than warranted, certainly more than Claeys would have if the roles were reversed. Maybe I was looking into a five second camera shot too much though

Franklin also has been in warmish water... with what happened during the game maybe he thought it was a good time to support the team / an issue the players were worked up about ;)

Really though barring serious misconduct most coaches just want the other coach to ack that something went wrong.

If they throw out "oh man that guy should be out a game" next week it could be their guy ;)

All this whining about the sideline hit on Mitch needs to stop.

1. He was a runner
2. He was hit when in bounds
3. if the hit was on Shannon Brooks no one would talking about it
4. No one ever gets called for hitting a running back in the head with the crown of the helmet when running the ball, and still upright. If anyone can cite and example, please do so. I have never seen that call made, at least in the era of the "targeting" call.

All this whining about the sideline hit on Mitch needs to stop.

1. He was a runner
2. He was hit when in bounds
3. if the hit was on Shannon Brooks no one would talking about it
4. No one ever gets called for hitting a running back in the head with the crown of the helmet when running the ball, and still upright. If anyone can cite and example, please do so. I have never seen that call made, at least in the era of the "targeting" call.

It may not be illegal at this time in the NCAAs but it is illegal in the NFL. And, the unnecessary shots to the head are clearly more egregious than the "flagrant" late hit on PSU tubby.

The exact wording of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 is as followed:

“It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.”

So, yeah, I'll "whine" about it and I'll bet we'll see the rule eventually change in college ball. No reason to lead with the helmet like that on a guy running out of bounds. Wasn't incidental either.

It may not be illegal at this time in the NCAAs but it is illegal in the NFL. And, the unnecessary shots to the head are clearly more egregious than the "flagrant" late hit on PSU tubby.

The exact wording of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 is as followed:

“It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.”

So, yeah, I'll "whine" about it and I'll bet we'll see the rule eventually change in college ball. No reason to lead with the helmet like that on a guy running out of bounds. Wasn't incidental either.
Maybe baseball is more your speed? It's a little more gentle sport.

Top Bottom