Maryland hopes to sell wine & beer at games, cites MN as good example

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Washington Post:

“Of all the schools we discussed this with, Minnesota, West Virginia, Colorado [State], various other places . . . no one indicated an increase in problems,” Hadley said. “I think everybody always worries about the optics of anything like this because of course you certainly don’t want to appear to be promoting irresponsible behavior in any way.”

Only a handful of schools sold alcohol to the general public in football venues last season, including Minnesota, which began beer and wine sales in 2012 after a legislative mandate. That began a two-year pilot program that sold alcohol in one plaza area of TCF Bank Stadium, which the school then expanded to concession stands throughout the venue before last season.

Minnesota Senior Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Communications Chris Werle said Wednesday that the school wasn’t focused on revenue when it introduced alcohol to the general public during games three years ago but rather on enhancing the fan experience in a market that holds four professional teams and in which alcohol is part of the fabric of events.

The number of alcohol-related incidents has not significantly increased since the school began alcohol sales, Werle said.

“In a sense, our fans have a higher expectation of being able to enjoy a beer or wine during a game than I think probably some other college markets,” Werle said. “I think [Maryland] is dealing with the same thing.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...32f6c6-0fb1-11e5-a0dc-2b6f404ff5cf_story.html

Go Gophers!!

Similar demos in both areas, so not surprised to see Maryland doing this. Both situated in large metropolitan areas with longtime and transient populations. Major professional sports teams, other cultural events always available. Have heard that University of Texas is planning to add alcohol to their stadium soon.

per the Washington Post:

The number of alcohol-related incidents has not significantly increased since the school began alcohol sales, Werle said.

“In a sense, our fans have a higher expectation of being able to enjoy a beer or wine during a game than I think probably some other college markets,” Werle said. “I think [Maryland] is dealing with the same thing.”

Go Gophers!!

Drinkers are going to drink and out of control drinkers are going to drink out of control. If it's not available at the game be prepared to see lots of pregame problems as people try to top off the tank before entering the stadium. Not selling booze at the stadiums is simply denying responsible people the option to partake responsibly. The drunks will be drunk prior to entering the stadium either way.

The people will do what they want to do. Good for Maryland. Another victory for the common man.

I saw more hidden flask's and bottles when Alcohol was not sold in the stadium.

I actually saw more drunks in the seats when it was prohibited.

If people are going to drink might as well get a piece of the action. I enjoy an adult beverage now and then but refuse to pay 12 pack prices for 1 tall can. but if someone wants to pay that then the U should benefit from it.

Top Bottom