Maryland and Minnesota seek to maintain momentum in Big Ten play - Chicago Tribune

Iceland12

Reaction score
An undefeated non-conference slate does not a Big Ten champion make. That's understood.

But the 3-0 starts for Maryland and Minnesota are intriguing, prompting wonder if these programs could produce some surprises this conference season.

The Terrapins were selected to finish sixth in the Big Ten East Division in a preseason media poll, while the Golden Gophers were picked to finish fifth in the West Division. Of course, neither team's strength of schedule ranking so far would be in the top 90.

With their Big Ten seasons kicking off on Saturday — Minnesota against Purdue and Maryland at Penn State — a better sense of their potential should emerge.

"We were able to get through the nonconference undefeated," Minnesota coach Tracy Claeys said on Tuesday's weekly Big Ten coaches teleconference. "But this is what we all get excited about. It's a tremendous challenge on the road."

The Gophers, he said, need to improve on cutting down penalties on offense and giving up big plays on defense. They have been penalized 73.3 yards per game on 27 total penalties to rank 13th in the league.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-around-big-ten-spt-0928-20160927-column.html

With their Big Ten seasons kicking off on Saturday — Minnesota against Purdue and Maryland at Penn State — a better sense of their potential should emerge.

I sure hope we can beat Purdue on Saturday. OH WAIT...

I'm beginning to think I should have gone into journalism. It is clear that even at a top paper like the Chicago Trib, laziness permeates.

They need both spellcheck and gamecheck turned on when writing.

Top Bottom