MarQueis Gray

SPCPrice21

Reaction score
IMO, Jerry Kill partially gave up on this season when Kill decided to use Nelson as the starting QB and give up on a injured MarQueis. It was a BS excuse when Kill said that he didn't want Gray to play quarterback because he wasn't healthy enough. Maybe this is just frustration on my part, but MarQueis gives us the best chance to win NOW. His great ability to run and his below average arm makes him a better option then Shortell or Nelson. He is a natural playmaker. I understand Nelson is the future and this pt is huge for him, but thats not fair for Gray, nor is is fair for every single senior on that team. Unless Gray suggested the switch (which I doubt) because of his potential future as a WR/TE in the NFL this is not okay. Kill should worry about the future at the end of the season and worry about the present now. Gray is our best QB. He always talks about he is going to play the best players whether they are a true freshman or a senior. Well Mr. Kill practice what you preach please. I'm sure a bunch of people will disagree with me, but I've thought this since they started Nelson. Overall, I am impressed with Phillip Nelson but he shouldn't be the starter right now. IDK thats my opinion and my apologize if this is elsewhere on gopherhole, but I am not on here much.

I hear ya. I am firmly a Gray fan at QB, always had been, always will be. But, unfortunately, Nelson had to put in as the starter. It is what it is. The TD's gray scored today were against 2nd teamers, maybe even 3rd. We hardly had enough kids to have a decent o-line tonight. We just got hammered. Gray wouldn't have made that dynamic of a difference tonight. So, it is what it is.

Simply put, we are still 6-5 if Gray is back there. What game would we have won? Northwestern? Maybe... Still 6-5 IMO.

Here we go again....

I'm not being a bandwagon guy here Ogee because I have always thought Gray should start. I've never said Shortell or Nelson should start. Obviously Max had to because of injury, but other then that personally I've been a Gray guy the WHOLE TIME. I'm not saying it because of a bad outting by Nelson. I'm saying it because it's the truth.

I'll take Nelson. Love Gray and do feel he should be incorporated once in awhile in the backfield as a wildcat/RB like the Short yard TD, but our best bet long-term was to go with Nelson. Bottom line. This is what you get with a freshman. Things will be bumpy along the way, but you hope with a year of experience now that he'll blossom next BT season and year's to come. I'd take a better year next year and the following two vs another win this year and one bowl higher. Just my opinion.

Not sure how healthy Gray for the Michigan game but my guess is that he scores 2 TDs inside the 5 and keeps the game close. Northwestern plays 2 QBs in Colter and Siemian. Today they both played well in their roles. Sieman led them to the win over Michigan St with his passing. Colter had some great runs. If the Gophers want to have a chance to beat Sparty, they should play both Nelson and Gray at QB. Gray can do what he did today; run QB draws in short yardage situations. Gray is a load and can read the defense better than Nelson in those situations. It also reduces the beating and possible injuries for both players.

A healthy Gray is the best athlete on the team and the best QB, overall. But is he healthy? I wanted him starting his sophomore year - he's been yanked around a lot, but the injuries this year and last had a lot to do with his situation at QB.

He sure looked healthy on those draw plays! Granted it was against a 2nd or 3rd team defense he was very very quick. He looked explosive.

It doesn't matter who is playing quarterback if our receivers drop passes. I've never seen so many dropped passes. Passes that hit our receivers right in the hands and they can't catch it. The interception that Nebraska took all the way back hit Crawford-Tufts right in the hands...there were many other drops too. Nebraska is much better than the Gophers but the Gophers sure made it easy for them by dropping passes that should have been caught.

It doesn't matter who is playing quarterback if our receivers drop passes. I've never seen so many dropped passes. Passes that hit our receivers right in the hands and they can't catch it. The interception that Nebraska took all the way back hit Crawford-Tufts right in the hands...there were many other drops too. Nebraska is much better than the Gophers but the Gophers sure made it easy for them by dropping passes that should have been caught.

+100

I agree with that statement Goldy's! The other interception was caused by Andre who had the ball bounce off his numbers.

Even if he is the best answer for this season, who says we are playing for this season? The real question should be if getting Nelson game speed reps in the Big Ten is worth more in the next few years than Grey winning a few games this year (which is debatable anyway).

McDonald made a great move and the ball hits him in the hands then bounces right to a N defender. He should have caught that pass and there were a couple of other drops. The interceptin for the TD was thrown behind the receiver. He could and should have caught it but it was not thrown well. The pass that went to Gray was like wounded duck. It could have caught but it was not well thrown. Phillip did not have a good day. What conerns right now is his ability to step on big plays. It seems like he is 0 for ever on third down. I agree with the OP. If Gray is healthy enough to play then play him for the next 2 games. Next year we will have 3 guys competing for QB in my opinion. Let them compete next year.

If the Gophers want to beat Mich St, who may mail it in, they should play Gray at QB in situations like they did today. There is no reason they can't play both players at QB.

Grey is a better qb if healthy enough-no question. Is he healthy enough to play a whole game at qb? That is the question. Not that it matters because we aren't going back no matter what. I'm not hating on Nelson, but what is it that has people certain he is the savior? I haven't seen anything to show me that. His arm is average. His throw is not impressive at all-he would make Joe Kapp proud. He can run a little bit but nothing earth shattering. He seems like he has the confidence needed to play the position at a higher level, but what is it exactly that sets him above everyone else enough for people to go gaga?

If the Gophers want to beat Mich St, who may mail it in, they should play Gray at QB in situations like they did today. There is no reason they can't play both players at QB.

Michigan State will be motivated to get to a bowl game. Even if they are disappointed by the season as a whole the players will be motivated to get a bowl game for all the perks that come along with it (free trip, bowl gifts....). I expect to get the best of what MSU has to offer but if we can muster any kind of offense against them I think we will have a good shot at getting the victory.

more on Gray

Completely agree. Marqueis' future is as a qb--probably in the CFL--not as a receiver. As a way of making our offense more dynamic and potent we need a healthy dose of Gray against Michigan State. Shouldn't be too difficult to use both Gray and Nelson next weekend.

They should unload the kitchen next week. Motion MG into the backfield, have him run, throw, hell have him punt. Every trick play they ever considered, RUN them. I will be irate if I see pistol formation and 2 or 3 runs and a punt. LET HIM FLING IT.

+1 To add to your post, I think they may have decided to set some things up for next Saturday by easing Gray back in. That or at minimum give MSU more to think about.

Grey is a better qb if healthy enough-no question. Is he healthy enough to play a whole game at qb? That is the question. Not that it matters because we aren't going back no matter what. I'm not hating on Nelson, but what is it that has people certain he is the savior? I haven't seen anything to show me that. His arm is average. His throw is not impressive at all-he would make Joe Kapp proud. He can run a little bit but nothing earth shattering. He seems like he has the confidence needed to play the position at a higher level, but what is it exactly that sets him above everyone else enough for people to go gaga?

I'm not all that impressed with Nelson yet, but I remember the enormous improvement Abdul-Khaliq made from his sophomore to senior seasons - I think he led the nation in pass efficiency some of his senior year. Strangely, Weber did not make a similar improvement. But at this point, Nelson not a savior by any means. This has been a bad year for offense, with line injuries, Gray hurt, no running back taking charge, etc.

Being at the game, it appears Gray has quit on plays. His hands look terrible. He's not a Qb but struggles as a receiver too.

I don't know if having Gray at QB is/was the answer, but I do think they need/needed to find more ways to get the ball in his hands, whether that be at QB, RB or WR. I agree, I think Kill gave up on Gray at QB, because he doesn't fit his system, and I don't think he knows how to coach a player like that at QB. Still, if they were a little more creative with their playbook, and gave Gray more opportunities to make plays, I think we would have been more competitive. It works for Northwestern with Kain Colter, and Fitzpatrick adapted to his skills not the other way around.

Gray seems to have no interest in playing receiver. When that happens, you give him the ball more. (Problem: he's never open.)

I can't fathom why we've not run more plays with both Nelson and Gray in the backfield.

Kill didn't choose Nelson over Grey, he chose Nelson over Shortell. 6 weeks ago, Grey was too hurt to play. If they were going to start Nelson once, they were going to start him the rest of the season.
Grey may be the better QB for Sparty game.

Aside from the 1st half vs. Purdue, Nelson has been pretty bad. His numbers make Christian Ponder look like Peyton Manning.

Surprised it's not talked about more, probably because he's just a Freshman?

If Gray is healthy, he needs to start and play a majority of the game vs. MSU. Playcalling is awful right now. Gray would open things up a bit.

This love/hate relationship Gopher fans have had with Gray over the last 4 years has been interesting to watch.

Anyways, even though he had two impressive TD runs, watching him run his routes, I'm still not entirely sure he's completely healthy.

Kill didn't choose Nelson over Grey, he chose Nelson over Shortell. 6 weeks ago, Grey was too hurt to play. If they were going to start Nelson once, they were going to start him the rest of the season.
Grey may be the better QB for Sparty game.

This post is exactly right. Gray could not play. The staff figured Nelson was better option than than Shortell, who did not fit the system. End of story.

Top Bottom