Marketing Dept

Reaction score
As long as we are going after the PA guy, I have another complaint about the marketing department.
Whenever I watch BTN, I see great commercials about how wonderful it is at every Big Ten campus. The commercial with hundreds of people doing the OH IO thing is very memorable and captures the pride they have in OSU.
We show commercials about "wheat rot" and the "power grid".
I completely understand that their work is far more important than 4 people spelling OHIO with their arms. However, you have 60 seconds to create an image for your University and we get engineers talking about the power grid and staring somewhere off camera for 15 seconds. Not to mention, your audience is made up of sports fans looking for entertainment, not solving the "wheat rot" problem.
Can we please find some attractive students and take pictures of them having fun around campus and set it to the "Rouser"?

Disagree. I think our commercials are a lot better than any of the other ones I've seen on BTN, both in production value (way better--ours looks so much cleaner and visually appealing) and content.

I do like the University of Minnesota commercials, but I agree that it would be nice to have a "campus" commercial. Something that shows off the campus, people and traditions set to Hail, Minnesota or the Rouser.

Speaking of which, Indiana's commercials are a joke and I laugh every time I see them.

Indiana's Podcast commercial may be the worst thing I have ever seen on television. Put that stuff in the school newspaper, don't broadcast it over national television.

I have noticed that we advertise less than other universities during games. A typical ESPN game will show 1-2 ads for each school (the WI-OreSt game comes to mind but I've seen it many times) whereas I NEVER see one for UMN on ESPN/ABC. On the BTN I see some but the quantity of them just isn't there. And we can have an ad that both shows off what the university has done/is doing while also instilling pride in the campus, people, etc, no??? That's on whatever ad agency the U hires (I guarantee they don't write, script, film, and edit tv ads)

The Driven to Discover commercials won a lot of ad awards when they first came out (maybe 2008?).. They really set us apart in how we market the U from other school commercials (I've never hated Tom Brokaw's voice until he did that annoying Iowa commercial).

I've noticed too that we don't have as many spots as the other universities, but I've also noticed this year that we have a ton more ads up around the twin cities... The 'Saturday's Coming' campaign is all over the place, which I appreciate.

Norman Borlaug

Saved a Billion Lives.

Suck on that, bitches.

University of Minnesota

Pretty sure each school doesnt pay for those spots. I am sure that is in the tv contracts that each school gets a certain amount of commercial time. Of course I am not certain about this, but I am willing to put money on that being the case.

Pretty sure each school doesnt pay for those spots. I am sure that is in the tv contracts that each school gets a certain amount of commercial time. Of course I am not certain about this, but I am willing to put money on that being the case.

That's how I understand it too. However, on another note, it seems like when I flip through the BTN, I see "Iowa Campus Programming", "Illinois Campus Programming", etc. for every school but Minnesota. Do we not produce any of these 30-minute deals? I wonder why.

Indiana's Podcast commercial may be the worst thing I have ever seen on television. Put that stuff in the school newspaper, don't broadcast it over national television.

Quoted for truth. I was stunned the first time I saw that commercial. That's a rough commercial for a campus station, let alone a freaking cable network.

Norman Borlaug

Saved a Billion Lives.

Suck on that, bitches.

University of Minnesota

I would pay for that to be our new marketing campaign.

Also the way I understand it during a game each school gets 1 comped 30 second commercial.

I agree OP. Let's have 3 penny films produce a commercial showing a shirtless Moses jumping rope, or washing a car.

I couldn't find a source at all, but I remember reading an article during the 2010 NCAA Tournament that rated the different University's commercials. I only remember it because Minnesota came out on top.

Top Bottom