Mark Coyle talks about Pitino; working with Calipari and Boeheim

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' Q&A:

University President Eric Kaler said Wednesday he was “profoundly disappointed” with what’s going on in men’s basketball with off-court issues. What is your take on the situation?

I look forward to sitting down and visiting with him and learning more about what’s happening. It’s hard as an outsider to come in and give an assessment not being here day in and day out for the past 11 years (Pitino and Coyle met later Thursday).

How tough is it to inherit a basketball program with these types of problems?

These are challenging jobs for everybody. And again, I’ll be anxious to spend time with all of our coaches and learn about what’s happening here and what can I do to help them. It’s my job, and I think it’s the job of our staff to support our coaches and our students.

Is it your inclination to have Pitino at least get a year to coach with you on board and see if he can live up to your expectations?

Again, I’d like to meet Coach Pitino (first). I wasn’t here last year, so I don’t know all the ins and outs of what’s going on with the program. I think the first thing is to have a chance to meet with him and see if I can help him and his program achieve the goals they want.

You’ve been around high-level basketball programs at Kentucky and Syracuse. What would it take for Minnesota to get to that level?

I’ve been very blessed leaving here and being around the University of Kentucky basketball. And not only Kentucky basketball but all of the programs in the SEC. They competed at a very high level. In this past year, being around Syracuse basketball, our women’s basketball program went to the Final Four … our men’s program went to the Final Four. It’s being around very successful coaches. And what I’ve learned is they all work incredibly hard and they see the big picture. I’m anxious to spend time with our coaches to see what I can do to achieve the goals they have.

What did you take from working with Kentucky coach John Calipari, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim and other successful coaches?

Being around coach Calipari, he works so hard at recruiting. He worked so hard at developing his program. Being around (former Boise State football coach) Chris Petersen, he worked so hard at recruiting and developing the culture he wants. Being around Jim Boeheim, he works incredibly hard and is competitive. If you surround yourself as an athletic department with coaches who like to compete and like to excel at the highest level, then you’ll have success.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/12/umn-gophers-athletics-director-mark-coyle-listening-learning/

Go Gophers!!

I'd like to think it's a positive sign Pitino will get 2016-17 at least if he's reassuring recruits right after meeting with the new AD.

When? Make your prediction more specific. Based on the other thread- Pitino met with the new AD and it went well.

I was being a bit facetious but this part of the Q & A is pretty interesting:

Is it your inclination to have Pitino at least get a year to coach with you on board and see if he can live up to your expectations?

Again, I’d like to meet Coach Pitino (first). I wasn’t here last year, so I don’t know all the ins and outs of what’s going on with the program. I think the first thing is to have a chance to meet with him and see if I can help him and his program achieve the goals they want.

I'm all for giving Pitino another year, but I can't help but get the feeling that he won't be around much longer.

I was being a bit facetious but this part of the Q & A is pretty interesting:

I'm all for giving Pitino another year, but I can't help but get the feeling that he won't be around much longer.

Okay fair enough. I can't imagine an AD - prior to meeting with the coach- playing all of his cards by saying he's here or he's gone. This interview was before he met Pitino- so of course he says- "hey let me just meet him first..."

So we are both all for giving Pitino another year. Good. So why we would we just react with- "he's gone" facetiously or otherwise? He's gonna be our coach this coming year, his squad has nice potential and the town is way down on the team. This would be a great time for real Gopher fans to rally around the squad as the coach gets a chance to prove that he and his product are worthy.

I'll be re-upping my season tickets for the the 30th year (I've been going to games a lot longer than that) and I'm excited to see this team make a big turnaround. I hope you join me.

Okay fair enough. I can't imagine an AD - prior to meeting with the coach- playing all of his cards by saying he's here or he's gone. This interview was before he met Pitino- so of course he says- "hey let me just meet him first..."

So we are both all for giving Pitino another year. Good. So why we would we just react with- "he's gone" facetiously or otherwise? He's gonna be our coach this coming year, his squad has nice potential and the town is way down on the team. This would be a great time for real Gopher fans to rally around the squad as the coach gets a chance to prove that he and his product are worthy.

I'll be re-upping my season tickets for the the 30th year (I've been going to games a lot longer than that) and I'm excited to see this team make a big turnaround. I hope you join me.

I'm definitely looking for a big turnaround as things can't get any worse than last season. It can only get better.

I'm definitely looking for a big turnaround as things can't get any worse than last season. It can only get better.

Good. I think it is going to get better than you think it is. When I talk to disheartened Gopher fans- that's the way I talk- optimistically about what could happen with this coach and squad. If I'm wrong so be it, no big news there :). I'm going to support the coach and the team and tell others to do the same.

I renewed as well, BGA. Was going to wait it out & think it over until the 31st, but the Coyle hire inspired me. Hoping the Gophers have the kind of season (on & off the court) that we don't even have to talk about Pitino's job status a year from now. Ditto for Claeys and football.

Good post.

Yep, good post. Aren't there about $5,700,000 other reasons to gave Pitino another chance too?

Okay fair enough. I can't imagine an AD - prior to meeting with the coach- playing all of his cards by saying he's here or he's gone. This interview was before he met Pitino- so of course he says- "hey let me just meet him first..." So we are both all for giving Pitino another year. Good. So why we would we just react with- "he's gone" facetiously or otherwise? He's gonna be our coach this coming year, his squad has nice potential and the town is way down on the team. This would be a great time for real Gopher fans to rally around the squad as the coach gets a chance to prove that he and his product are worthy. I'll be re-upping my season tickets for the the 30th year (I've been going to games a lot longer than that) and I'm excited to see this team make a big turnaround. I hope you join me.

I'll be there with ya bga! (Likely getting told to sit the bleep down)

Bravo! Nice to see some positive feedback, I agree with your assessment. I live a little too far out for season tickets, but I hope to make a few games.

Time for all the griping to stop and jump on board!

You must not be on the off topic board much :)

And circle jerk around and around with these idiots on topics I couldn't give 2 ****s about?

No way jose.

Periodically I'll read a thread and realize I've read it 100x before. They all end up in the same spot.

I'm looking forward to the next April/May time period where we don't need to spend thread after thread worrying about our coach leaving or being told to leave. I'm hopeful next year is that year.

Top Bottom