Mark Coyle talks about hoops season, his relationship with Pitino, etc.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per this MN Daily Q&A:

The narrative on the men’s basketball team has shifted since we first spoke in September. What has it been like to watch the turnaround?

First off, [I’m] excited for those students and I’m excited for [head coach Richard Pitino]. They were 8-23 last year and now they’re 23-8, a complete flip of the wins and losses — the biggest turnaround in Division I basketball … We had, I think, three kids get recognized on first team, All-Big Ten, third team. [Reggie Lynch] got defensive player of the year. I give them a lot of credit. Richard and that team took ownership with what happened last year. They worked hard over the summer and I think it prepared them for this year … They deserve that success because they’ve worked really hard, which is great to see.

After last year’s season, there were questions about Pitino’s job status. Was it hard to be patient?

No. Richard and I, we never knew each other until I got here. A day after my press conference, I had a chance to sit down with him and I told Richard the same thing I tell all of our coaches... I feel like my job as the athletics director is to do everything I can to support our coaches and our students... Richard and I have a very strong relationship. I enjoy spending time with him. I think he enjoys spending time with me. Again, I’m just really excited because he and that team have worked so hard. I’m talking academically, socially and athletically. They’ve worked so hard and it’s great to see that hard work pay off with the success they’ve had, and I know they’re excited to get to Washington D.C. for the Big Ten tournament.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017...ftball-team-success-eggum-and-mens-basketball

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom