Mark Coyle it is

This is their guy but they haven't interviewed him yet? Why interview him at all then?

I love my university.

Is he A finalist, or THE finalist?

And if he is the finalist, doesn't mean he has taken the job right?

This is their guy but they haven't interviewed him yet? Why interview him at all then?

I love my university.

They named 3 (Goetz, Estin, & Frazier), but interviewed 4.

He must have been the 4th interview.

He's the guy. Didn't think we had the ability to steal another Power 5 A.D. That alone makes me encouraged about this hire. And he's not Beth Goetz so that is also a plus!

They name one finalist because if they named multiple finalists, a guy like this would not be a candidate. A very nice job with the search process to make sure that they could have a candidate like this pursue the position.

Standard Operating Procedure:

April 22, 2012 - Norwood Teague named finalist as Gophers Director of Athletics

July 2, 2002 - Maturi Named Finalist For Athletic Director

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...res_iowa_roots_their_three_children_play.html

Coyle family article from last years move to Syracuse:

Krystan and Mark Coyle grew up in Iowa but met in Chicago, while she worked at Northwestern University's Medical Center and he worked for a public relations firm. They will celebrate their 16th anniversary in August.

Krystan Coyle was born in Council Bluffs, Iowa, and attended high school in Davenport, where her father worked at Creighton University. Mark Coyle grew up in Waterloo, the son of a cardiothoracic surgeon. He earned his undergraduate degree in English from Drake University in Des Moines and two master's degrees — one in sports administration from Florida State, another in teaching from Drake. His close friend, Ed Lewis, has known Coyle since first or second grade and said they bonded early as "the two nerds in school who both worked very hard."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ector_mark_coyles_departure_its_shocking.html

Jim Boeheim is shocked:

Boeheim said he had no inkling that Coyle was about to depart SU.

"I would say it's a surprise," he said. "I really liked Mark Coyle. I thought he was really good. Thought he had a good grip on everything in a relatively short period of time. It's shocking. I like him a lot and I thought he was doing great."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ector_mark_coyles_departure_its_shocking.html

Jim Boeheim is shocked:

"I would say it's a surprise," he said. "I really liked Mark Coyle. I thought he was really good. Thought he had a good grip on everything in a relatively short period of time. It's shocking. I like him a lot and I thought he was doing great."

Nice quotes. I'm getting pretty excited about this hire.

Jim Boeheim is shocked:

Good to hear but surprised that none of the committee members gave him a head's-up call. :rolleyes:

Can't find much not to like about this hire.

P5 experience - check.
Fundraising success - check.
Prior success in football and basketball - check.
Track record for strong academic performance - check.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this could be our guy for a long time.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

P5 experience - check.

I hope he has a stay as long (comparatively) as that guy's mullet!

Jim Boeheim is shocked:

I like the quotes on this.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

P5 experience - check.

add to the list "Under his guidance, the marketing staff was recognized as the top marketing staff in the Big Ten Conference."

Jim Boeheim is shocked:

I also remember Boeheim saying Johnny Flynn was the most NBA ready point guard in the draft. I remember Brad Stevens saying the clearly inexperienced Beth Goetz would be a great hire. And I remember big name NCAA and NFL football coaches saying Tim Brewster was a great hire.

My point being that from the perspective of coaches everywhere, it is impossible to have too many friends in high places. Don't pay any attention to anything they say in hiring matters.

Regardless of the above, I am quite enthused about this highly probable hire.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...yracuse_to_minnesota_has_bad_whiff_to_it.html

Meanwhile, back in the 'Cuse:

Gone … and leaving an aroma in his wake.

Again, if we dismiss the idea that the best way to handle a family situation is to take another job in a different time zone — and that would seem the way to bet — Coyle's sudden departure appears to speak poorly about someone or some thing.

The "someone" would be Coyle, who happily told stories about how his admiration for Syracuse was such that he'd worn Dwayne Washington-styled sneakers as an Iowa-raised teenager in homage to the Pearl … and yet has vanished for a big-city job in a conference, the Big Ten, with more gravitas that almost certainly pays more.

The "some thing" would be SU, which may have discouraged its AD with some kind of behind-the-scenes policy shifts related to budget matters, the Carrier Dome's future and/or other matters … and this, only a blink or two after having introduced Coyle amid the requite pomp and circumstance as the successor to Daryl Gross.

Either way, there's a whiff blowing our way, and it's smelling not at all like a fistful of posies.

So, now what?

Is Dino Babers, the new Orange football coach who didn't know of Coyle's retreat until told of it this afternoon by reporters, soon to be headed out the door, himself? What happens to all those staffers, so many from Idaho, brought on by Coyle?

Top Bottom