Marcus Fuller's Blog 8/14

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
I checked the board, but didn't see anyone post this yet. I apologize if someone has already:

It might only be four practices into preseason camp, but a couple of position battles are starting to get interesting for the Gophers.

The most intriguing competition on defense is at weakside linebacker with senior Nate Triplett and redshirt freshman Keanon Cooper. Basically, it's power and experience against speed and youth. Triplett is currently on the first team, but he can feel Cooper right on his tail.

"(Cooper) has been making plays from the other side of the field," Triplett said. "That's good. Anything he can bring to help out our linebacking corp the better. As far as Coop and I goes, he's pushing me and I'm pushing him everyday. We're trying to make each other better."

At the same time, Triplett said he's the first one to help Cooper out if he makes a mistake on the field. At 210 pounds, Cooper, a former safety turned strongside linebacker, is also trying to adjust to the physical side of the weakside position. The 243-pound Triplett doesn't have that problem.

"It's definitely kind of a friendly rivalry," Triplett said. "He moved positions this year. He was a (strongside) linebacker, but now he moved behind me at (weakside). So, it's different for him. It's a little more physical inside the box at times. He's learning. He's getting stronger and bigger. He's young, so he's got something to learn still. But he's starting to fit into the position."

I imagine that the Gophers won't name a full-time starter at weakside this season. They will probably rotate Triplett and Cooper with the first unit, depending on the opponent and situation. A similar scenario occurred last year with linebackers Kevin Mannion and Simoni Lawrence.

-- The competition for the No. 2 option behind All-Big Ten receiver Eric Decker is wide open, but it might come down to sophomores Brandon Green and Da'Jon McKnight and junior college transfer Hayo Carpenter.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound McKnight said his size gives him an advantage over teammates Green (6-0) and Carpenter (5-11).

"I think I bring (being physical) and speed," he said. "I'm a bigger receiver, so I can give big blocks and things like that. I bring attitude, just a bigger receiver mentality."

-- Senior tight end Nick Tow-Arnett might look up to 6-foot-6, 260-pound freshman Ra'Shede Hageman literally, but he has been setting the tone for the youngster to follow in camp. Hageman's presence also has made Tow-Arnett continue to pick up his game.

"That's what it's all about is competition," Tow-Arnett said. "People come in and it just makes you work harder. I'm fine with that. There's no problem."

Tow-Arnett said he wasn't jealous of Hageman's NFL-type frame for the position.

"Someone that big can definitely move some weight around," he said. "He's definitely going to be a good player. I'm working with what I was given. I'm not complaining about that."

-- The No. 1-ranked high school player in the 2010 class Seantrel Henderson visited Minnesota's practice Thursday. The Gophers have a serious shot at landing the 6-8, 315-pound offensive lineman from Cretin-Derham Hall.

-- Gophers coach Tim Brewster, who is looking forward to camp getting more physical with the first full-pads practice Friday, denied a report that offensive lineman Ryan Wynn's back injury threatened to end his season.

-- Minnesota received an oral commitment from 330-pound Pahokee (Fla.) High School senior defensive tackle Doral Willis on Thursday, according to GopherIllustrated.com. Willis is the 11th commitment in the 2010 class.

It just amazes me how Fuller's blog is so much better than Youngblood's. Kent usually starts his blog with an apology of some sort and then continues to write without the use of paragraphs. At least all of his posts don't begin with "What's up everyone?"

All I can say is I think Marcus Fuller does an awesome job. This particular post is exactly the information I want to ready about.

I am very excited to see Keenan Cooper play. Our lb's have been so slow in recent years that I can't wait to see him fly around the field.

The idea of Cooper and Triplett rotating on one side sounds pretty enticing!

I hope the WR competition commentary was meant to show Green and McKnight have taken HUGE strides and that I'm wrong in thinking that Hayo isn't the beast he's been described as. I do like McKnight's comments about blocking, you don't seem to hear that much from WRs.

I hope the WR competition commentary was meant to show Green and McKnight have taken HUGE strides and that I'm wrong in thinking that Hayo isn't the beast he's been described as. I do like McKnight's comments about blocking, you don't seem to hear that much from WRs.

Im very interested to see Mcknight's progression. From some of the early flashes ive seen of him I think he has potential to be a really good, physical wide reciever for us this year and down the road.

I would be suprised though if he wins that second reciever spot this year simply because decker is on the other side as a big physical reciever(granted he can do just about anything). I would think we might want more of a burner at the #2 spot to compliment Decker this year.

This is all pure speculation on my part obviously.

I have to agree that Kent's blog leaves much to be desired. Just a further illustration of why we should be thankful to have two newspapers in our market. Come on Kent, where is the competitive fire?

Blog

Really enjoyed this blog. Great info for a Gopher junkie like me.
Keep up the nice work!
Go Gophers!:clap:

The No. 1-ranked high school player in the 2010 class Seantrel Henderson visited Minnesota's practice Thursday. The Gophers have a serious shot at landing the 6-8, 315-pound offensive lineman from Cretin-Derham Hall.

Iiiiinteresting... perhaps we arent as hopeless as i thought. I think it's been widely accepted(among gopher fans) that if we have a great season( < 9wins) we expect to have a reasonable shot at Seantrel. Now im definently not ruling out a great season, but it would be really nice to be able to bump that down into the good season range(7 or 8ish wins on this years schedule).

Maybe just maybe??

Well Hayo's only in his first week of practice with the team and from all accounts he's doing well. We knew McKnight was a great athlete but really raw so its good that he's progressing and competing. We also knew Green was very talented and I'm glad to see him fighting for a spot. I really think we'll have a 5 WR rotation with Deck, Hayo, TS, McKnight and Green. The rest of the guys just aren't at the same level right now although Brandon could be there in a few years

Top Bottom