Marcus Fuller says Gray will play "a lot more" vs. Iowa and in bowl game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his latest blog:

Whaley clearly the No. 1 back?
By Marcus Fuller

Gophers redshirt freshman running back Kevin Whaley had 16 carries for 56 yards rushing in last week's 16-13 win against South Dakota State. Was that a sign?

Whaley had the most rushing attempts for a Minnesota running back since sophomore Duane Bennett had 21 carries for 89 yards and three touchdowns in a 35-24 Big Ten opening win at Northwestern on Sept. 26.

Whaley replaced sophomore DeLeon Eskridge this week at No. 2 on the depth chart behind Bennett for the first time this season, but Gophers coach Tim Brewster said there was no significance behind that move.

"Kevin has done a nice job," Brewster said. "Obviously, he had a fumble against South Dakota State that I wasn't real pleased about, but he's done a good job. He's giving us some good runs. Duane is going to continue to help us, too. DeLeon is going to continue to play there. There's not one guy that has totally stood out and has taken the position over."

But if not for the fumble, Whaley might have had even more carries in the game. He had 12 carries in the first half (none after the fumble with 5:45 left in the second quarter) and just four carries in the second half.

Brewster might not admit that Whaley is the team's No. 1 back, but the numbers show it. Since the Northwestern game, Whaley has 60 carries for 256 yards and two touchdowns (4.3 yards a carry). Bennett has 43 carries for 161 yards and two touchdowns (3.7 yards a carry). And Eskridge has 38 carries for 146 yards and two touchdowns (3.8 yards a carry).

-- Brewster said junior center Jeff Tow-Arnett has been cleared to play for the second straight week after recovering from microfracture surgery. But I would be surprised if Tow-Arnett plays before the bowl game.

-- I've been hearing quite a bit that freshman quarterback MarQueis Gray will play a lot more against Iowa and in the bowl game than he has the last two games. That makes sense. It's not a shock that the Gophers have had two of their worst offensive games this season with Gray's touches being limited. I still haven't seen Minnesota offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch put Gray in for an entire series like he did at the end of the Ohio State loss when Gray led the offense to a touchdown.

-- Weber said this week that he expected sophomore Brandon Green to really step into Eric Decker's role as far as a leader among the wide receivers next season. He said Green is very vocal, but he can lead by example. Weber also hopes Green can become a go-to option for him. That's actually something the Gophers need right now.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/11/whaley-clearly-the-no-1-back.html

Go Gophers!!

All good news, something significant needs to be changed in the O, whether that be Gray with more responsibility or Whaley with more carries. Green has the experience to make a difference in the passing game, run good routes, and get on the same page as the QB. Let's get it done!

You know, I'm thinking back more and more to the Wisky game in 07. Last game in a very forgettable year, but we came out and fought, the records were thrown out, and it just a damn good game. It would have helped if we could tackle a RB, but our guys were running hard, hitting hard, and just plain didn't back down to a supposedly superior opponent. Justin Valentine smashing a LB at the LOS and carrying him forward for 4 yds is etched in my mind. That's the type of game we need to play on Saturday.

We've heard that before about Gray. I'll believe it when I see it.

While I wish Gray would play more -- for entire series, rather than a play here and there -- I have not been among those calling for Gray to replace Weber. I assume there's a reason that Gray isn't playing more. Doesn't understand the offense, can't throw ... something.

However, I have changed my mind, even after not seeing any of the SDSU game. I could play QB and lead this offense to the same results we have had in four of the past six quarters -- and really, four of the past five games. So start Gray against Iowa just because they're not preparing for him. They know the two or three plays he has run this year. They don't know what our offense would look like with Gray playing a full quarter. And if we don't score, that's nothing really new.

This is a broken record. Nevertheless, let the kid play more. I'm sick of the "he's not ready" crap. Can anyone say with a straight face that the team would have done any worse had Gray played the entire SDSU game? (enter your snarky response now!) Give him a full quarter and show us whether he's ready or not!

BTW - I feel good about the Iowa game. Unfortunately, I think it is because I have zero expectations and I've been watching too much (good/well coached) Gopher basketball.

The only thing that would surprise me is if we came out and dominated Iowa. Any other outcome of the game is well within the realm of possibility. Mind you, I hope my expectations are proven wrong, and we beat them by twenty or more.

The first time Weber rolled right, he falls on his ass. Ouch! His pick six was something a 5th grader wouldn't do. So if Gray is worse, then Brew is a horrible judge of talent. You watch that Stanford freshman qb and wonder, why can't we recruit someone like that? Gray doesn't know the offense. Then what the hell is Jedi Fisch doing all year? Can't these guys coach him up? We're proud of the defense against San Diego State. Are you kidding me? The worst qb to ever play a D1 game doubles Weber's yardage against your defense. And you are proud? Come on Brew. Give me a break.

Brew is going to get destroyed by the Hawks.

We're proud of the defense against San Diego State. Are you kidding me? The worst qb to ever play a D1 game doubles Weber's yardage against your defense. And you are proud?

You certainly give off the appearance of a troll in all your posts, but I'll bite on this part.

The defense played fine against SDSU. 229 yards and two field goals allowed, one of which came on an eight yard drive after a long kick return... what more do you want? It's not the defense's fault that they put up good numbers (the opposing QB had a completion percentage of 38.5%, 184 yards, no TDs, two picks) and their Weber had such an atrocious game he was unable to match what, by all statistical accounts and my own and other firsthand accounts, was a mediocre at best performance by the opposing quarterback. Hell, the defense scored the game's only touchdown for the Gophers. On their own ledger, they washed out the points they allowed (six to six) without the offense's help.

If nothing else, the defense proved the point that Gray couldn't perform much worse than Weber. Beyond just Weber though, the offense as a whole just looked terrible. To allow 229 yards to a DII team is perfectly acceptable. To only gain 231 yards and not score a single touchdown against a DII team is not.

Main Entry: 1troll
Pronunciation: \ˈtrōl\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, probably from Anglo-French *troiller, *troller; akin to Anglo-French troil, trolle winch
Date: 15th century
transitive verb
1 : to cause to move round and round : roll
2 a : to sing the parts of (as a round or catch) in succession b : to sing loudly c : to celebrate in song
3 a : to fish for by trolling b : to fish by trolling in <troll lakes> c : to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure> d : to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains>; also : prowl <troll nightclubs>
intransitive verb
1 : to move around : ramble
2 a : to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat b : search, look <trolling for sponsors>; also : prowl
3 : to sing or play in a jovial manner
4 : to speak rapidly

WTF

So you're saying it's ok to let a pure freshman qb who could not play for St. Thomas lead his team to 229 yards?

Main Entry: 1troll
Pronunciation: \ˈtrōl\
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, probably from Anglo-French *troiller, *troller; akin to Anglo-French troil, trolle winch
Date: 15th century
transitive verb
1 : to cause to move round and round : roll
2 a : to sing the parts of (as a round or catch) in succession b : to sing loudly c : to celebrate in song
3 a : to fish for by trolling b : to fish by trolling in <troll lakes> c : to pull through the water in trolling <troll a lure> d : to search in or at <trolls flea markets for bargains>; also : prowl <troll nightclubs>
intransitive verb
1 : to move around : ramble
2 a : to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat b : search, look <trolling for sponsors>; also : prowl
3 : to sing or play in a jovial manner
4 : to speak rapidly

WTF

So you're saying it's ok to let a pure freshman qb who could not play for St. Thomas lead his team to 229 yards?

A little hint: a verb is not the same thing as a noun. :rolleyes:

Oh yes the ever I could play better then {insert player name} case. Who is your backup? Your posting is subpar. I am sure they could write better posts.

The defense allowed 6 points on short fields while scoring our only touchdown of the game. They forced 4 turnovers, limited a run first team to 46 rushing yards, and "allowed" a 38% pass completion rate. Of the 183 passing yards allowed, 50 of those came on a great catch that resulted in zero points. The defense absolutely played well.

The defense allowed 6 points on short fields while scoring our only touchdown of the game. They forced 4 turnovers, limited a run first team to 46 rushing yards, and "allowed" a 38% pass completion rate. Of the 183 passing yards allowed, 50 of those came on a great catch that resulted in zero points. The defense absolutely played well.

That great catch was proceeded by an obvious pushoff.

how many sacks did we log last week? Not a rhetorical question-I did not see the stats, nor see any happen while watching-could be my bad

They played about the way we expected them to play against a vastly inferior opponent...our pass rush is still non existent, however, based on my memory of the game

As for giving Gray more playing time--as was mentioned- we'll believe it when we see it. Seeing him sit when Weber was playing well was hard enough...seeing him sit while Weber has regressed and really hurt the team is, well, perplexing and beyond any logical explanation

The first time Weber rolled right, he falls on his ass. Ouch! His pick six was something a 5th grader wouldn't do. So if Gray is worse, then Brew is a horrible judge of talent. You watch that Stanford freshman qb and wonder, why can't we recruit someone like that? Gray doesn't know the offense. Then what the hell is Jedi Fisch doing all year? Can't these guys coach him up? We're proud of the defense against San Diego State. Are you kidding me? The worst qb to ever play a D1 game doubles Weber's yardage against your defense. And you are proud? Come on Brew. Give me a break.

Brew is going to get destroyed by the Hawks.

Not Minnesota, not the Gophers but Brew is going to be destroyed by the Hawks. :banghead:

how many sacks did we log last week? Not a rhetorical question-I did not see the stats, nor see any happen while watching-could be my bad

They played about the way we expected them to play against a vastly inferior opponent...our pass rush is still non existent, however, based on my memory of the game

As for giving Gray more playing time--as was mentioned- we'll believe it when we see it. Seeing him sit when Weber was playing well was hard enough...seeing him sit while Weber has regressed and really hurt the team is, well, perplexing and beyond any logical explanation

You are joking right? Their QB was running for his life most of the time. That is why he threw the picks. Like others have inferred, so was Weber. Unfortunately for the O, it was a perfect storm in the wrong way. SDSU's defense played very well, and our O played very, very poorly.

Hope Marcus knows what he's talking about - but the ideal game to showcase Gray was SD State - a big lost opportunity.

Why Not!

Might as well play Gray. It's not going to hurt anything. We have a bowl game wrapped up.

Not too long ago we had an Iowa fan posting here and he even said that he's not worried about this game unless we were planning to play Gray alot. Gray may stink up the joint but it can't get worse then last years loss. Then again Gray may show on Saturday that he's a heisman canidate in the years to come.

Hope Marcus knows what he's talking about - but the ideal game to showcase Gray was SD State - a big lost opportunity.
+1

Agreed. On the few plays Gray was in he was a man among boys in comparison to the opposing defensive players. When he caught a pass at wideout, he stutter stepped, freezing the corner then blew past him and bowled two other guys over. I have been a big Weber apologist but I always asserted that SDSU was the game to give Gray a couple quarters. In a few different games, most notably the Air Force and SDSU games, Brewster seems willing to play Gray more and more as the game goes on right up until he fumbles, and then he is sidelined immediately. This wouldn't be a problem if the same rule applied to Weber. After that unconscionable pick six Gray should have been immediately reinserted into the lineup to utilize what we had already seen to be his freakish ability. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only full drive Gray led ended in the endzone. And I know it was Ohio State's second teamers, but they are as good or better than most team's starters.

preceeded. But I agree, it was clearly a pushoff.

If you're going to go to the trouble of correcting someone's spelling, you should probably spell it correctly yourself. It is "preceded."

Whaley has potential

Hopefully he can learn how to hold on to the ball and stay out of trouble.

Top Bottom