Marcus Fuller lists possible DC and OC candidates

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Possible candidates for Gophers OC and DC jobs
The Gophers football program will definitely have a new look next season with new offensive and defensive coordinators replacing Mike Dunbar and Ted Roof, who both resigned Tuesday.

Gophers coach Tim Brewster is conducting a national search. And these could be some possible names that are considered:

Texas running backs coach Major Applewhite played quarterback for the Longhorns when Brewster was an assistant coach under Mack Brown. Applewhite was an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Alabama in 2007. He was also an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Rice.

Houston offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dana Holgorsen was a offensive coordinator at Texas Tech for eight seasons from 2000-07. Holgorsen is also an Iowa native and played at Iowa Wesleyan in the 1990s, so he has some Midwest ties.

For defensive coordinator, former Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove could be a possibility, because he was a graduate assistant at Brewster's alma mater Illinois from 1980-82. Cosgrove's son, Clint, was also a Gophers defensive graduate assistant this season.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/01/possible_candidates_for_gopher.html

Go Gophers!!

No no no no no no no no no on Cosgrove.

How long

Would be be able to to keep Applewhite?

Possible candidates for Gophers OC and DC jobs
The Gophers football program will definitely have a new look next season with new offensive and defensive coordinators replacing Mike Dunbar and Ted Roof, who both resigned Tuesday.

Gophers coach Tim Brewster is conducting a national search. And these could be some possible names that are considered:

Texas running backs coach Major Applewhite played quarterback for the Longhorns when Brewster was an assistant coach under Mack Brown. Applewhite was an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Alabama in 2007. He was also an offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Rice.

Houston offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Dana Holgorsen was a offensive coordinator at Texas Tech for eight seasons from 2000-07. Holgorsen is also an Iowa native and played at Iowa Wesleyan in the 1990s, so he has some Midwest ties.

For defensive coordinator, former Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove could be a possibility, because he was a graduate assistant at Brewster's alma mater Illinois from 1980-82. Cosgrove's son, Clint, was also a Gophers defensive graduate assistant this season.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/01/possible_candidates_for_gopher.html

Go Gophers!!

I think Applewhite would be a great choice and has ties to both Brewster and Davis. As someone mentioned, though, it may be a short stop for him as he is on the rise. But he would give us more recruiting traction in Texas, which simply cannot hurt.

On the defensive side of the ball, I share everyone's concern about Cosgrove. I doubt he'd be the hire (now watch him get hired) because he's been in the mix so often up here and never been offered the job that I can't believe that would change now.

My biggest concern here is that I don't want the U to become, as it has been over the past couple of decades, the "rest stop" for either out-of-work coaches (Roof) looking to get back to a more prestigious program or up-and-comers who see this as resume bullet. I've harped on Mason about the lack of stability the program seemed to have under him and that is probably the most important off-the-field aspect that Brewster has to correct. You cannot have long-term success if you don't have stability.

My biggest concern here is that I don't want the U to become, as it has been over the past couple of decades, the "rest stop" for either out-of-work coaches (Roof) looking to get back to a more prestigious program or up-and-comers who see this as resume bullet.

I'll agree with you on the retreads who failed elsewhere, but you *want* to be a place where coaches get a "resume bullet." That means that we're successful, and we're getting good young coaches on their way to lead other programs. Would you rather we go 7-5 every year and have guys the ilk of Mitch Browning and David Lockwood hang around for 10 years, or have 2-3 years with the Lane Kiffins and Will Muschamps of the world? Look how many assistants USC has lost in the last few years. Guys who are successful will move up the ladder - that's the way it is in any business. If you've got a guy who's been stuck in the same position for years on end, he's not valuable and is not learning and growing in his profession.

I should have been more clear. I want to get good young coaches and keep good young coaches into the middle portions of their careers. I want them leaving the Gopher program for promotions into coordinator and head coaching positions, not lateral moves. I would like the first few ladder steps to be in the Gopher program, with qualified position coaches moving into coordinator positions and assuming more responsibility. When I say "resume bullet," I mean just a citation and little more.

I agree with you totally on guys like Browning and Lockwood (and Peterson and fill-in-the-blank). I don't want to go back to those days at all.

Cosgrove very unpopular at Nebraska as DC

They collapsed when he was there. Fans wanted his head...dire warnings from Cornhusker fans last February when Withers left and Cosgrove's name came up for the Gopher spot. Hope he's not the choice.

Will it be Cosgrove?

Friend of mine in Huskerland says the Lincoln Journal Star makes it sound like the choice is Cosgrove. Not sure if this is fact or rumor.

Two other names are Georgia State defensive coordinator John Thompson and former Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove. Thompson was coach at East Carolina from 2003-04 and has been a defensive coordinator at numerous schools in the Southeast. Cosgrove helped make Wisconsin a national power as Badgers defensive coordinator from 1995-2003. Both are accomplished recruiters, too.

Cosgrove sounds ok, at this point I would rather have a coach who is better at recruiting then at coaching.

I wouldn't trust anything from the Lincoln Urinal Star.

My brother and I got one of their sports reporters suspended for plagiarism a few years ago.

Cosgrove sounds ok, at this point I would rather have a coach who is better at recruiting then at coaching.

What do the numbers 17, 41, 45, 36, 28, 76, 31, and 65 have in common?

They were all the amount of points that Kevin Cosgrove gave up as DC at his last job, at Nebraska.

And those are players that he helped recruit, YAY RECRUITER!

Link

Friend of mine in Huskerland says the Lincoln Journal Star makes it sound like the choice is Cosgrove. Not sure if this is fact or rumor.

Here's what I found online in the Lincoln Journal Star (in a blog similar to Fuller's):

The buzz is Kevin Cosgrove is heading to Minnesota, apparently as defensive coordinator. Cosgrove was out of coaching this season. Cosgrove would replace Ted Roof, who recently joined Gene Chizik's staff at Auburn.

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?title=cosgrove_to_minnesota&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

DC or OC Candidate?

First time post - how about Joe Glenn? Not sure if he is an offensive guy or defensive guy, but I believe he won two national titles at Montana and has been at Wyoming for the last five years or so. Folks in WY were disappointed he was let go; well liked guy at tough place to win who was viewed as someone who would be around for a long time.

What do the numbers 17, 41, 45, 36, 28, 76, 31, and 65 have in common?

They were all the amount of points that Kevin Cosgrove gave up as DC at his last job, at Nebraska.

And those are players that he helped recruit, YAY RECRUITER!
Here is where his defenses ranked and this link didn't even include his 2007 rankings at Nebraska which were in close to or rated worse than 100. Not the type of rankings you would expect from programs that have had a history of defensive success.

http://firecosgrove.com/bio.php

Joe Glenn was the OC at Montana before becoming head coach there.

Top Bottom