Marcus Fuller blog: When can Austin Hollins take the next step?

He also put his name on the national stage when he soared for a one-hand putback dunk on a missed jumper in the first half in last week’s 67-57 win against Fairfield. The play earned ESPN.com’s top play of the day and was shown on Sportscenter as the sixth best play of the night.

Hollins, who finished with eight points in that game, also had a steal and two-handed dunk in the second half against Fairfield. Those two dunks made me say, “where did that come from?”

Big Ten Network analyst Jim Jackson covered the Fairfield game. He said Hollins frustrated Minnesota’s coaches a bit because they’re wondering when he’ll “take the next step” and start to take over games more often with his shooting and athleticism.

I’m wondering the same thing. When he was recruited two years ago, I remember thinking after watching a YouTube highlight video that Hollins’ size and skills compared to Ohio State’s William Buford.

Hollins and Buford were both around 6-4 and 6-5 coming out of high school. They’re long, athletic and can shoot from mid-range out to the three-point line. Obviously, Buford was a much more high-profile recruit.

Still, I figured the Gophers got a steal, especially with Hollins coming from great basketball pedigree with his father, Lionel, having played in the NBA and now coaching the Memphis Grizzlies.

Hollins had a decent freshman season, the highlight being when he scored 13 points in the second half to help the Gophers nearly comeback to beat Indiana on the road.

He didn’t play enough minutes (17) last season to develop much. Now that Blake Hoffarber is gone, Hollins is starting at shooting guard. He’s also playing 24 minutes a game, so it’s time for him to start growing into a future star.

Players usually make the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year.

_________

How is playing 17mpg as a freshman not enough minutes to develop and 24mpg as a sophomore is?

He also put his name on the national stage when he soared for a one-hand putback dunk on a missed jumper in the first half in last week’s 67-57 win against Fairfield. The play earned ESPN.com’s top play of the day and was shown on Sportscenter as the sixth best play of the night.

Hollins, who finished with eight points in that game, also had a steal and two-handed dunk in the second half against Fairfield. Those two dunks made me say, “where did that come from?”

Big Ten Network analyst Jim Jackson covered the Fairfield game. He said Hollins frustrated Minnesota’s coaches a bit because they’re wondering when he’ll “take the next step” and start to take over games more often with his shooting and athleticism.

I’m wondering the same thing. When he was recruited two years ago, I remember thinking after watching a YouTube highlight video that Hollins’ size and skills compared to Ohio State’s William Buford.

Hollins and Buford were both around 6-4 and 6-5 coming out of high school. They’re long, athletic and can shoot from mid-range out to the three-point line. Obviously, Buford was a much more high-profile recruit.

Still, I figured the Gophers got a steal, especially with Hollins coming from great basketball pedigree with his father, Lionel, having played in the NBA and now coaching the Memphis Grizzlies.

Hollins had a decent freshman season, the highlight being when he scored 13 points in the second half to help the Gophers nearly comeback to beat Indiana on the road.

He didn’t play enough minutes (17) last season to develop much. Now that Blake Hoffarber is gone, Hollins is starting at shooting guard. He’s also playing 24 minutes a game, so it’s time for him to start growing into a future star.

Players usually make the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year.

_________

How is playing 17mpg as a freshman not enough minutes to develop and 24mpg as a sophomore is?

I thought the same thing. 17mpg is quite a few for a freshman.

Good concept on the article, but that part about his minutes is kind of glaring.

Top Bottom