Marcus Fuller blog: Parish making a push for the No. 2 quarterback job?

People (me included) are fired up about Shortell, but Parish seems to be constantly overlooked. Is there a reason why, or is it just a case of folks looking forward to the next big thing and overlooking redshirts?

Good luck and best wishes to all the qb's!

This might turn into a very interesting competition for placement on the depth chart. Which one will be the one to always be healthy and ready to go? Each of them, I hope. Durability is so important at the qb position. I won't get too fired up about any individual until I have seen them take some snaps in some Big Ten games. Running a football team and it's offense takes a lot of different skill sets, savvy, moxy, leadership and mental as well as physical toughness... I have no favorite and am pulling for all of the qb's right now. In due time, it will most likely be pretty obvious how this all plays out.

People (me included) are fired up about Shortell, but Parish seems to be constantly overlooked. Is there a reason why, or is it just a case of folks looking forward to the next big thing and overlooking redshirts?

This, plus the excitement of Gray being "the guy" this year.

I think it has more to do with the time of the year. I mean Parish was about an equal recruit as Shortell (according to the web services, which is all we have to go on right now). I think it's that since the last time we played a game we've signed both Shortell (who has had a lot written on him) and Nelson (local kid who most of us thought was heading to Madison).

Coach Kill and his staff weren't the types to talk about players they knew nothing about (Parish) and they talked quite a bit about Shortell because unlike the players on the team, he knew something about him.

I hope this group of QBs (Gray, Shortell, Parish, Nelson, Alipate) have someone who can emerge and be a good Big 10 QB. Wren was right, we really won't know anything about them for awhile. I am cautiously optimistic that someone will turn out to be a very good Big 10 QB because this seems like a talented group of guys.

It would really be a shame to see Moses eat away his opportunity at playing qb for the gophers. From the sounds of it he has the best arm of the group but his mobility is a big unknown as he hasn't been in shape since possibly his senior year of hs. Even then I remember comments about his weight from people who watched him play bball that year.
He is definitely facing an uphill battle as there is no way he can run Kills offense at 270 or perhaps even 250. He may have to lose 30-40 lbs. to truly have a chance to compete for the starting spot.
Here's hoping he can put his nose to the grindstone as he has too much talent to let it go to waste.
I look forward to some good QB battles over the next couple years as there seems to be some good potential and depth.

It would really be a shame to see Moses eat away his opportunity at playing qb for the gophers. From the sounds of it he has the best arm of the group but his mobility is a big unknown as he hasn't been in shape since possibly his senior year of hs.

Wasn't in that great of shape in HS. Has the biggest arm, but it is far from the best arm.

It would really be a shame to see Moses eat away his opportunity at playing qb for the gophers. From the sounds of it he has the best arm of the group but his mobility is a big unknown as he hasn't been in shape since possibly his senior year of hs. Even then I remember comments about his weight from people who watched him play bball that year.
He is definitely facing an uphill battle as there is no way he can run Kills offense at 270 or perhaps even 250. He may have to lose 30-40 lbs. to truly have a chance to compete for the starting spot.
Here's hoping he can put his nose to the grindstone as he has too much talent to let it go to waste.
I look forward to some good QB battles over the next couple years as there seems to be some good potential and depth.

I keep hearing that he is getting into much better shape, but it will be interesting to see how he handles it if he is 3rd string (possibly 4th string because it sounds like Pride has been better than most people thought he would be).

It sounds like his conditioning, weight, and Parish's ability to grasp the offense have him lower on the depth chart so far, but even if that continues this season, he'd still have two full seasons to really make up ground on Parish mentally and with his condition (assuming he really is a more physically gifted QB).

I think it has more to do with the time of the year. I mean Parish was about an equal recruit as Shortell (according to the web services, which is all we have to go on right now). I think it's that since the last time we played a game we've signed both Shortell (who has had a lot written on him) and Nelson (local kid who most of us thought was heading to Madison).

Coach Kill and his staff weren't the types to talk about players they knew nothing about (Parish) and they talked quite a bit about Shortell because unlike the players on the team, he knew something about him.

I hope this group of QBs (Gray, Shortell, Parish, Nelson, Alipate) have someone who can emerge and be a good Big 10 QB. Wren was right, we really won't know anything about them for awhile. I am cautiously optimistic that someone will turn out to be a very good Big 10 QB because this seems like a talented group of guys.

Shortell will not play a down this season. The staff will not let him waste a year of eligibility and he will redshirt, no matter what Max says. He is an incoming Freshman with 5 players ahead of him, including two Juniors and a Sophomore. I will say this again: he will not play a down this season.

Alipate, Moses QB 6-5 281 So.
Gray, MarQueis QB 6-4 229 Jr.
Lueck, Adam QB 6-0 191 Jr.
Parish, Tom QB 6-3 198 RFr.
Pride, J.D. QB 6-1 203 RFr.
Shortell, Max QB 6-6 215 Fr.

We had a great group redshirt last year. I think people are discounting the talent of the that Freshman class.
The talent on this team continues to improve and the QB position is a perfect example of it.
We have had very good recruiting classes the last 2-3 years and we will see the rewards on the field more and more.
Upgraded talent and coaching should take us a long way this year and into the future.

The quarterback position is solid for many years to come.

We had a great group redshirt last year. I think people are discounting the talent of the that Freshman class.
The talent on this team continues to improve and the QB position is a perfect example of it.
We have had very good recruiting classes the last 2-3 years and we will see the rewards on the field more and more.
Upgraded talent and coaching should take us a long way this year and into the future.

The quarterback position is solid for many years to come.

So there you have it!! For sure we are a lock for bigger and better things!:rolleyes:

Shortell will not play a down this season. The staff will not let him waste a year of eligibility and he will redshirt, no matter what Max says. He is an incoming Freshman with 5 players ahead of him, including two Juniors and a Sophomore. I will say this again: he will not play a down this season.

Alipate, Moses QB 6-5 281 So.
Gray, MarQueis QB 6-4 229 Jr.
Lueck, Adam QB 6-0 191 Jr.
Parish, Tom QB 6-3 198 RFr.
Pride, J.D. QB 6-1 203 RFr.
Shortell, Max QB 6-6 215 Fr.

I agree, I was more talking about within the next few years.

Time for Moses to start chasing QB's from the DL....(or blocking them as a TE)....

wasn't his father a DE?

Remember the great line on the fighter Roberto Duran. "Hands of stone" You can equate that line to Moses footwork. "Feet of stone" IMHO he will never play a down as the U quarterback.

Time for Moses to start chasing QB's from the DL....(or blocking them as a TE)....

wasn't his father a DE?

I was at the scrimmage and when he got off the bus with the o-linemen you would never have thought he was a qb. However, he is pretty spry for his size though.

Wasn't in that great of shape in HS. Has the biggest arm, but it is far from the best arm.

People talk about Gray like he has a no arm and is just a running qb. He will surprise all those who expect him to toss up wounded ducks. Also, McKnight and Lair are proven commodities at receiver, who will help Gray get acclimated. He won't win the Heisman, but he'll make plays with both his arm and his legs.

I keep hearing that he is getting into much better shape, but it will be interesting to see how he handles it if he is 3rd string (possibly 4th string because it sounds like Pride has been better than most people thought he would be).

It sounds like his conditioning, weight, and Parish's ability to grasp the offense have him lower on the depth chart so far, but even if that continues this season, he'd still have two full seasons to really make up ground on Parish mentally and with his condition (assuming he really is a more physically gifted QB).

Alipate knows that Coach Kill wants a mobile QB. What is he waiting for with his conditioning? He has had three months with the SC coach and his reported weight is 281?

Does anyone else here question his resolve?

Alipate knows that Coach Kill wants a mobile QB. What is he waiting for with his conditioning? He has had three months with the SC coach and his reported weight is 281?

I don't think that weight is accurate. I was always under the impression of that weight was prior to his work with Coach Klein..

I don't think his 'updated' weight has been reported yet.

To be honest with you Bayfield, I actually think he is in quite a bit better shape now than he was last year. Towards the end of last year, he was looking huge (by last year, I mean last football season). I doubt he stayed in that great of shape after the season was over, especially without a coach. So I actually do think he has come a ways, which only speaks to how big he had gotten.

That said, I actually think he is a fairly athletic kid for his size. He isn't atheltic enough to play in Kill's system yet, but he isn't just a plodding pile of goo either.

His biggest problems are going to be his accuracy and being able to command the offense.

Moses

I don't think I'm imagining this, but think I heard/read somewhere that Moses has been working with Klein and has lost something like 20 pounds since he started. Also, that Klein has him getting more sleep, which is both good for his conditioning and helps keep him from eating so much in the middle of the night.

I don't think I'm imagining this, but think I heard/read somewhere that Moses has been working with Klein and has lost something like 20 pounds since he started. Also, that Klein has him getting more sleep, which is both good for his conditioning and helps keep him from eating so much in the middle of the night.

Yeah, I saw that somewhere too.

Top Bottom