Marcus Fuller blog: Mbakwe about thumb and wrist injury: “It’s just a little sore”

CLIPPED (some good stuff in here)-

–The Gophers trailed 44-39 with 14:36 left, but they went on a 18-1 run in the next six minutes. The bench had 13 of its 27 points during that stretch. Sophomore Maverick Ahanmisi had five points during the run, including a three pointer. Freshman Oto Osenieks hit a three pointer. Freshman Joe Coleman also had a three-point play after getting fouled on a layup. The second unit did a nice job of pushing the tempo and that allowed the Gophers to create more turnovers and score in transition. That will be important moving forward because the team has been starting slow.

– Smith said Ahanmisi was the “key to the offense” in the second half Monday night. He finished with eight points and three assists in just 13 minutes. That was better than freshman Andre Hollins (five points, one assist, four fouls in 11 minutes) and junior Julian Welch (zero points, three rebounds, three turnovers, one assist, one steal in 17 minutes). What does that mean for the Gophers’ point guard situation? Probably nothing. It means the Gophers are likely to rotate three different point guards just like Smith said he would before the season.

– South Dakota State junior Nate Wolters, who finished with 20 points and six assists, really was the best player of the floor in the first half Monday. The St. Cloud native hit three-pointers. He scored on acrobatic layups. He also drove and passed the ball to his teammates in great positions to score. He was definitely better than any point guard on Minnesota’s roster.

Wolters started strong in the second half with eight points, but he just got too tired to keep it up in the end. Credit Minnesota for speeding things up and forcing Wolters to rush back on defense and take some bad shots offensively in the second half. Smith said he was “very impressed with Wolters.” I’m sure he wishes he would have tried harder to recruit him, at least as a walk-on, coming out of high school.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Julian Welch zero points, three rebounds, three turnovers, one assist, one steal in 17 minutes

Rodney- Decent defense, no offense against very unaesthetic teams so far.
7 pts in 32 minutes

Mbakwe sure is fun to watch. He's a twelve foot jump shot away from a long career in the NBA. I hope that he masters that skill.

Mbakwe sure is fun to watch. He's a twelve foot jump shot away from a long career in the NBA. I hope that he masters that skill.

Trevor could also benefit by really mastering ball handling. He'd be an NBA stud if he could handle the ball, say, like LeBron James. He is a similar build to James and if he could also ball handle like a guard ... YIKES!

A whole lotta players would be studs if they could handle the ball like Bron lol.

I don't even want to think about what would happen to the Gophers if Mbakwe went down for an extended period of time. Heck, even a short period of time.

He'd be an NBA stud if he could handle the ball, say, like LeBron James.

Why do people even say things like this? I can understand it entering your prefrontal cortex for a fleeting moment, but how do you allow it to get to the point of putting finger to keyboard?

On the other hand, if it was some sort of bit - I apologize.

Why do people even say things like this? I can understand it entering your prefrontal cortex for a fleeting moment, but how do you allow it to get to the point of putting finger to keyboard?

Imagine if he could shoot like Bird! He would really be something as a pro!!11!

I think the answer lies in your question... the prefrontal cortex is involved in decision making. Psych major... had to say it.

A whole lotta players would be studs if they could handle the ball like Bron lol.

Since when is LeBron James the epitome of ball handling? I could have said Royce White too, White is the same height and bigger than Trevor, why is it far fetched to think that Trevor couldn't develop the same ball handling skills for his NBA career? Do guys not improve their skills from college to the NBA? I apologize if using LBJ was too much of a stretch, I don't personally think his handling is THAT good, but he was the first 6-8 ball handler I thought of. Trevor's hustle and rebounding will keep him in the NBA at PF for a nice career. A jump shot (like say, Glen Davis) or ball handling (like say, Derrick Williams) would be helpful to solidify his career.

Sorry, maybe James was a bad example. There are plenty of 6-8 guys who can handle the ball and have a drive from the perimeter or be able to lead a fast break to beat someone for a dunk. Think any SF that plays in the NBA. Yes, Trevor is a PF, but having too many skills has never been a bad thing. Fact is, improved ball handling would help any players career. Who would have thought such a simple concept would be so complicated?

Since when is LeBron James the epitome of ball handling? I could have said Royce White too, White is the same height and bigger than Trevor, why is it far fetched to think that Trevor couldn't develop the same ball handling skills for his NBA career? Do guys not improve their skills from college to the NBA? I apologize if using LBJ was too much of a stretch, I don't personally think his handling is THAT good, but he was the first 6-8 ball handler I thought of. Trevor's hustle and rebounding will keep him in the NBA at PF for a nice career. A jump shot (like say, Glen Davis) or ball handling (like say, Derrick Williams) would be helpful to solidify his career.

Sorry, maybe James was a bad example. There are plenty of 6-8 guys who can handle the ball and have a drive from the perimeter or be able to lead a fast break to beat someone for a dunk. Think any SF that plays in the NBA. Yes, Trevor is a PF, but having too many skills has never been a bad thing. Fact is, improved ball handling would help any players career. Who would have thought such a simple concept would be so complicated?
James' ball handling was good enough last year for him to play PG for the Heat until Chalmers figured it out.

James' ball handling was good enough last year for him to play PG for the Heat until Chalmers figured it out.

Sorry, count me in the camp who thinks LBJ is somewhat overrated. Good ball handler, yes, is he an all time great ball handler? No. The fact he played PG speaks more to his court vision and decision making than his ball handling IMO.

However, he was a poor example to compare Trevor's ball handling too, I tried to choose an athletic player who is 6-8. The first one I thought of was LBJ obviously. I should have used a different bigger guy who can handle the ball.

I think a decent example is actually Royce. Who is a similar height yet plays "PG" for his team. I don't think Trevor needs to ever be good enough at it to play PG, but the example (play) I am thinking of, is there were times when SD was pressing and Trevor got the ball at mid court with no defender until the FT line. IMO, a little better ball handling and a quick move would result in an easy trip to the basket for him.

Top Bottom