Marcus Fuller blog: Former Gophers coach Glen Mason talks about current run game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Former Gophers coach Glen Mason talks about current run game
By Marcus Fuller

Former Gophers coach and current Big Ten Network Analyst Glen Mason should recognize a solid run game when he sees one, having coached some of the top rushing teams in the nation during his tenure.

Mason didn't watch Minnesota junior tailback Duane Bennett rush for 187 of the team's 281 yards in Thursday's 24-17 season opening win at Middle Tennessee State.

But Mason said Bennett couldn't have had that much success in the game without quality blocking up front.

"It has to be a combination of both," Mason said. "All too often, the offensive line doesn't get enough credit, and when things don't go well they get too much criticism. I know just speaking about (Minnesota's) line, but that's any line. When a Laurence Maroney, a Marion Barber or a Duane Bennett has a good game rushing, obviously that was probably the case because the guys upfront played pretty well also."

Mason had at least two feature backs in his program at a time for a number of years. For that reason, he said he never had a plan going into a game about how to distribute the carries.

"We never thought about it," Mason said. "I never worried about those types of things. We kind of practiced the way we were going to play. Barber and Maroney were never first or second team, because they weren't ever first or second team in practice. We rotated them in during practice just like games. I never noticed any difference."

Bennett seems ready to be Minnesota's workhorse this season, the first time coach Tim Brewster has had one. I'm not sure Brewster has two workhorse backs this year. Freshman Donnell Kirkwood could be that type of player in the near future, but he isn't yet. Junior DeLeon Eskridge probably will never be that guy after he got his chance in 2008.

I think it would be a mistake to give Bennett fewer than 25 carries against South Dakota. Brewster wants to slowly add more to Kirkwood's plate, but there's no rush. He'll have his time. Bennett's time is now. The run game won't be as dominant moving forward against solid teams as it showed Thursday. But Bennett still should reach 1,000 yards this year, unless he gets hurt.

-- Senior quarterback Adam Weber said the Gophers used only 30 percent of their offensive playbook last week in the opener. Brewster implied that there would be more passing Saturday. But why try to be more balanced when you don't have to.

Weber said the offense needs to run certain plays in the game to get the experience, but I wouldn't start doing that until it is 28-0 in the second half against South Dakota. There's nothing wrong with consecutive games where the running the ball becomes excessive. That seems like the only way the Gophers will truly start to change their mentality. If Weber throws for 300 yards or more in a game this year, then a chunk of that should be on several big play-action passes.

-- Brewster mentioned that Bennett was given the hard hat hit of the week honor for nailing a blitzing linebacker in pass protection during Thursday's win. That will be huge for Weber and the passing game if Bennett can block with effectiveness this season, because teams will feel like they can pressure Weber into making mistakes. I've heard Brewster talk about Kirkwood's blocking as a plus as well, so that's another good sign.

-- Freshman Lamonte Edwards was the running back expected to make an immediate impact this year, but Kirkwood has obviously surpassed him in readiness. That doesn't mean Edwards still can't help the team. He won the offensive scout team player of the week honor, Brewster said Tuesday.

"We have a couple of outstanding young runners," Brewster said about Kirkwood and Edwards. "I think Lamonte is in a great position where he might possibly redshirt, get bigger and stronger. He's going to be an outstanding player."

I didn't see freshman running back Devon Wright at the start of Tuesday's practice. Brewster has said there is no eligibility issue, but I'm confused as to why he has missed so many practices. I guess we'll find out eventually.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/

Go Gophers!!

I really hope Edwards redshirts, and that Wright is okay. Having Kirkwood as a junior and Edwards as a redshirt soph along with the speedy Wright would be a fantastic combo.

I was absolutely convinced that Edwards would end up on the defensive side of the ball (I thought that was a more sure thing than Hageman). I wonder if that is still a possibility. I am sure I am dead wrong about this kid, but the few times i've seen him play he never seemed like a super natural runner, he just seemed like a big, physical, athletic kid who loves contact. As much as we need a ton of running depth, I think he'd be a monster LB (or possibly even DE).

I was absolutely convinced that Edwards would end up on the defensive side of the ball (I thought that was a more sure thing than Hageman). I wonder if that is still a possibility. I am sure I am dead wrong about this kid, but the few times i've seen him play he never seemed like a super natural runner, he just seemed like a big, physical, athletic kid who loves contact. As much as we need a ton of running depth, I think he'd be a monster LB (or possibly even DE).

Yeah, I was with you on this. The coaches must see something different, or lamonte does and the coaches are waiting for him to come to that same conslusion before they move him. A year of red shirting won't hurt no matter.

Not to get too picky, but the title had nothing about the content of the blog. The only thing Mason said about the current gophers is that he didn't see the game and that for the running back to get that many yards the offensive line must have done a good job. The rest was all about Mason's old team and commentary from the author.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

"Mason didn't watch Minnesota junior tailback Duane Bennett rush for 187 of the team's 281 yards in Thursday's 24-17 season opening win at Middle Tennessee State."

Well isn't his insight invaluable then!!!

Thought the exact same thing. Remember he was only a starting RB in HS during his senior year so I don't know if he has really learned the position yet. He dominated almost completely because he has a rare size/speed/strength combo for MN. With the emergence of Kirkwood and if we can recruit another high quality RB this year I'd love to see him at LB where his athleticism could make him special. He's a tall 6'1" and a legit 210 already with the frame to easily add another 20+ lbs over a few years. Plus I'm guessing at the moment he's around a legit 4.55-4.6 40 time which even with another 20 lbs should leave him around a 4.65-4.7 which is excellent speed for a B10 LB

How did he not watch the game? Not only is he the former coach, but he is currently a Big Ten analyst. Isnt it his job to watch these games? That is just lazy. Must be about as dedicated to his current job as he was his previous.

How did he not watch the game? Not only is he the former coach, but he is currently a Big Ten analyst. Isnt it his job to watch these games? That is just lazy. Must be about as dedicated to his current job as he was his previous.

Maybe his cable company doesn't carry ESPNU.

Mason was asked about the sports illustrated swim suit models. He says he hasn't seen them, but he thinks if they have them in a national magazine they must be attractive girls.

His Big Ten analyst gig is not his full-time job and primary responsibility. He is Senior Vice President of Business Development for Marquette Asset Management as well as being actively involved with several charities.

glen who?? can someone explain to me why Mason gets brought up by our gopher writers from time to time?

Top Bottom