Marcus Fuller blog: Coleman is the biggest surprise so far in practice

Don’t be surprised if the 6-foot-4, 210-pound Coleman pushes junior Rodney Williams for the starting wing position.

“He scores in so many ways,” Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said Monday about Coleman. “He gets out and he goes. It’s not even a second thought. Some guys have to think about running (the floor). But he’s gone. That’s why he scores. And he’s relentless attacking the basket.”

Smith said Coleman led the team in scoring through 11 practices. That’s in total points. Coleman was actually second with 12 points a game behind senior Trevor Mbakwe, who averaged 13 points in scrimmages. Coleman also recorded a team-high 38 steals in scrimmages, which was 15 more steals than any other player.

“Joe’s been playing excellent, and he’s probably been one of our best defenders since practice has started,” Mbakwe said. “He’s scoring a lot in transition, getting up and down. It’s something we’re going to need from everybody.”

Sophomore guard Austin Hollins said Coleman has been showing off his mid-range game as well.

If we are going to run more successfully with decent opponents, we will need good defensive guards/wings. I don't think we have enough talent to play up-tempo in open court and win over good teams consistently. The only way to pick up tempo "in a meaningful way," to me, must start with tough man to man pressure and perimeter defense. If Coleman can help out in that regard, we will have some interesting rotations. Looking good so far...

I think Austin may be the key player for us this season if we want something more than just making the Tourney.

I thought Freshman couldn't speak to the media until they played a game?

I thought Freshman couldn't speak to the media until they played a game?

Is this one of Tubby's rules or something, or an NCAA rule? I've never heard this before, so I'm curious. Will there be serious repercussions for breaking it?

Is this one of Tubby's rules or something, or an NCAA rule? I've never heard this before, so I'm curious. Will there be serious repercussions for breaking it?

It's a Tubby rule. Maybe he's changed his stance. The video makes it looks like he's being interviewed openly at practice. Doubt there will be any repercussions from Tubman

It's a Tubby rule. Maybe he's changed his stance. The video makes it looks like he's being interviewed openly at practice. Doubt there will be any repercussions from Tubman

He started this policy several years back when he had a 5-star SG at UK who went crazy with the media. The kid later transferred to Oklahama and later worked in Burger King (Kidding). He was an incredible player who destroyed his future all by himself. After that year, Tubby stopped freshman players to have any interviews.

Go Gophers

I thought it was related to during the actual season. Maybe pre-season is different?

Top Bottom