Marcus: Dwight McCombs would be a better fit for the Gophers than Mo Walker

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet:

"Dwight McCombs would be a better fit for the Gophers than Mo Walker. They really don't need another big man that would redshirt."

"Walker does have upside if he works on his conditioning and weight. He helps in recruiting Cory Joseph, so I understand the sudden interest."

Go Gophers!!

Sudden interest? Haven't we been recruiting Walker for awhile?

per this tweet:

"Dwight McCombs would be a better fit for the Gophers than Mo Walker. They really don't need another big man that would redshirt."

"Walker does have upside if he works on his conditioning and weight. He helps in recruiting Cory Joseph, so I understand the sudden interest."

Go Gophers!!

There's something to be said for this argument from a purely positional standpoint. If/when Walker commits, we'll have four guys that go 6-10 or taller. :eek: In other words, we'll be absolutely huge physically, but we'll almost certainly have to move one (or maybe even two) of those guys to power forward, especially if Trevor's legal issues win out in the end. In that regard, getting McCombs would be a nice deal. However, I'm going to play the optimist here because I think Walker is all but in and that Trevor stands a good chance of being cleared.

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind have McCombs in the fold either.

Sudden interest? Haven't we been recruiting Walker for awhile?

According to a Rivals article he was on the radar since 2007 and Walker was quoted saying they were recruiting him since before the season even started, but didn't specify exactly when. Not very sudden to me.

McCombs is not a very highly-rated player. Plain and simple. Out of high school, he went to Miami, Ohio. I don't think you can have too many big men either. Needless to say, I disagree with Myron's assessment. Walker is a top 150 recruit on Rivals.com and is ranked higher than Elliason on both Scout and Rivals. He also has a lot more potential (from what I understand). Honestly, I just don't know how a 6-8, 2 star talent would help the Gophers. Walker would have four years of eligibility. McCombs would have just two.

McCombs is not a very highly-rated player. Plain and simple. Out of high school, he went to Miami, Ohio. I don't think you can have too many big men either. Needless to say, I disagree with Myron's assessment. Walker is a top 150 recruit on Rivals.com and is ranked higher than Elliason on both Scout and Rivals. He also has a lot more potential (from what I understand). Honestly, I just don't know how a 6-8, 2 star talent would help the Gophers. Walker would have four years of eligibility. McCombs would have just two.

I would rather have Walker too, but just because McCombs isn't highly rated doesn't mean he's automatically going to be a bad player. He's supposed to be a late bloomer, so that 2-star ranking could be inaccurate at this point. Can't always go strictly by rankings as you seem to do, but in this case I would rather have Walker too.

McCombs played on a strong Whitney Young HS team here in Chicago a few years ago.

I would rather have Walker too, but just because McCombs isn't highly rated doesn't mean he's automatically going to be a bad player. He's supposed to be a late bloomer, so that 2-star ranking could be inaccurate at this point. Can't always go strictly by rankings as you seem to do, but in this case I would rather have Walker too.

For players that I haven't seen in person, rankings are one of the few things I can go by. I can also go by the fact that he signed with a mid-major program out of high school and played at a NJCAA Division II (not Division I like Mbakwe for instance) and hasn't attracted a list of schools that even compares to Walker's. How many 2-star prospects make an impact in the Big Ten?
I'm just saying.

For players that I haven't seen in person, rankings are one of the few things I can go by. I can also go by the fact that he signed with a mid-major program out of high school and played at a NJCAA Division II (not Division I like Mbakwe for instance) and hasn't attracted a list of schools that even compares to Walker's. How many 2-star prospects make an impact in the Big Ten?
I'm just saying.

That's fine, I actually agree with you here. It's just the way you said "He's not that highly ranked. Plain and simple." My point is just that it actually isn't that simple. Just because someone is rated lower than someone else doesn't mean you take them out of consideration. In this case I agree with your points and if you haven't seen the guy play those are some good things to go by (the fact that he played mid-major and then juco d2).

Yeah, I just get scared when the Gophers zero-in on the "fridge" players that are 2/3 star talent and only have other offers from smaller Division I programs (Devron Bostick comes to mind). I've said this before, but lower-rated players have much less room for error. If McCombs simply "lives up" to his rating, than we have a reserve/role player. He could always overachieve and become a solid contributor (with the Gophers or otherwise), but you just never know. I feel like McCombs would be a last resort if Mbakwe and White don't come back and Walker doesn't sign.

That's fine, I actually agree with you here. It's just the way you said "He's not that highly ranked. Plain and simple." My point is just that it actually isn't that simple. Just because someone is rated lower than someone else doesn't mean you take them out of consideration. In this case I agree with your points and if you haven't seen the guy play those are some good things to go by (the fact that he played mid-major and then juco d2).

I've never seen him play either, so I can understand the concern with a 2-star rating. But only to a point. When coaches decide to recruit somebody, it's usually based off of film evaluations, so if Tubby, Vince, Saul and Ron all saw something they liked, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I going to go ahead and say the same about Oto Osenieks, who is apparently going to visit as per a tweet from Marcus Fuller.

I've never seen him play either, so I can understand the concern with a 2-star rating. But only to a point. When coaches decide to recruit somebody, it's usually based off of film evaluations, so if Tubby, Vince, Saul and Ron all saw something they liked, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I going to go ahead and say the same about Oto Osenieks, who is apparently going to visit as per a tweet from Marcus Fuller.

Completely agreed. I'll trust their evaluations.

McCombs played on a strong Whitney Young HS team here in Chicago a few years ago.

Sorry, my computer was malfunctionating. McCombs GREATLY IMPROVED at JuCo this year. His HS team had quite a few good players and even won the state title, I think.

He may or may not fit Gopher needs but he'll be a quality PF somewhere in Div I in 2011 and 2012.

I don't care that we already have 3 centers (although I guess it depends on what you call Sampson now). Walker, not McCombs, please.

Interesting he committed to UCF even after Coach Speraw went to Iowa.

Iowa could have used Dwight McCombs.

Top Bottom