Marcus Carr vs McKinley Wright

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Since we spent so much time comparing IW vs Wright, watching the Colorado/Zona game and thought this would be interesting:

Carr - 16.5 pts/7.3 ast/5.3 reb/0.9 stl/3.0 TOs/75.7 FT%/32.1 3%

Wright - 13.4 pts/5.0 ast/5.4 reb/1.2 stl/2.8 TOs/73.5 FT%/34.8 3%

Who ya got? Pretty comparable, but I'll take Carr - especially for 2 more years after this.

Yeah I’ll take Carr. But last year we would have had Wright and he would have helped that team immensely. Going with IW over Wright was unfortunate. But at the time I was glad we got IW.

Yeah I’ll take Carr. But last year we would have had Wright and he would have helped that team immensely. Going with IW over Wright was unfortunate. But at the time I was glad we got IW.

Yeah I'm just talking about them in their current states. Obviously can't fault Carr for the NCAA'S wheel of decisions last year

IW is only averaging 9 ppg with iona and doesnt start. He might have just been an over hyped prospect

Both are really good guards. I haven't been able to watch Wright a lot tho. Him over IW would been huge, but probably means no Carr.

If Carr sticks to driving the hole and dishing for the main source of his game, he will keep being really, really good.

IW averaging 9 pts, 3 assists, 2 TO in 29 minutes/game.

We lost Theo John and McKinley Wright to get IW as they would have came together. Would have had a huge benefit last year and this year.

Everyone focuses on missing out on top 30 guys from the state but I think that choice hurt the program more.

IW averaging 9 pts, 3 assists, 2 TO in 29 minutes/game.

We lost Theo John and McKinley Wright to get IW as they would have came together. Would have had a huge benefit last year and this year.

Everyone focuses on missing out on top 30 guys from the state but I think that choice hurt the program more.

Um, no. Wright had an offer forever and chose not to commit. Should we have just waited until he was ready to give us a decision? Most times, you take the players who want to be here. But don't spin to make it sound like WE told Wright no so we could get IW.

having either of the last year could've been program changing. That's a Sweet 16 or better team with that level of PG play.

I’d take Carr since he qualified for the university of Minnesota and was accepted, something Wright couldn’t/didn’t do

I’d take Carr since he qualified for the university of Minnesota and was accepted, something Wright couldn’t/didn’t do
I respect why this isn't brought up more in fairness to Wright, but this is 100% a factor more than people realized.

I respect why this isn't brought up more in fairness to Wright, but this is 100% a factor more than people realized.

That's interesting to me as I actually attended both schools for undergrad - Minnesota and then Colorado - and I always considered them pretty similar academically. So not refuting that this was a factor with Wright, but I'm just surprised he could qualify for Colorado but not Minnesota

That's interesting to me as I actually attended both schools for undergrad - Minnesota and then Colorado - and I always considered them pretty similar academically. So not refuting that this was a factor with Wright, but I'm just surprised he could qualify for Colorado but not Minnesota

I was surprised as well as I also consider them similar too. Spring/summer ACT must've gotten a bump.

To be fair I know of some players who got into the U as well that I still don't know how they qualified.

I know Fleck doesn't allow unqualified guys to sign, Pitino may be the same way? Kids don't like to be told to do better academically when other schools are opening their doors

Wright is very good. IW did not turn out well.

I know Fleck doesn't allow unqualified guys to sign, Pitino may be the same way? Kids don't like to be told to do better academically when other schools are opening their doors

Wright is very good. IW did not turn out well.

Correct,the guys I knew were from previous coaching regimes at the U.

Um, no. Wright had an offer forever and chose not to commit. Should we have just waited until he was ready to give us a decision? Most times, you take the players who want to be here. But don't spin to make it sound like WE told Wright no so we could get IW.
There are different types of “offers”, what I wrote is what happened.

What is the point? One is a Gopher, the other is not.

having either of the last year could've been program changing. That's a Sweet 16 or better team with that level of PG play.
dozens of teams can make these if, could have, would have excuses. Everyone is missing a recruit they wanted, a transfer, a injury, a early departure.

dozens of teams can make these if, could have, would have excuses. Everyone is missing a recruit they wanted, a transfer, a injury, a early departure.
well duh. We're on a msg board comparing players. Don't be that guy

There are different types of “offers”, what I wrote is what happened.
IW committed first. Wrights offer was true as long as he could get in. This was not a guarantee. This was also poroven when he reopened his recruitment and Pitino offered again. Wright didn't want the completion and that is ok. Too bad cause he would've won over IW. Either way I think Carr is the better player and I think we won. Theo is his own man and made his own choice. I don't want a guy who commits only because another guy might come here. I want guys who love the U and want everything great it has to offer. Package deals rarely work out

Just really glad we have a good point guard. Wow, what a difference it makes. After being spoiled with Mason, it was really a downer watching IW struggle and Wright flourish. Now, we can forget all that and enjoy the play of Marcus. Pitino should get credit for bringing him in. Great transfer to get three years of Carr.

Just really glad we have a good point guard. Wow, what a difference it makes. After being spoiled with Mason, it was really a downer watching IW struggle and Wright flourish. Now, we can forget all that and enjoy the play of Marcus. Pitino should get credit for bringing him in. Great transfer to get three years of Carr.
Couple things.
1. How'd Mason spoil us? One good year with him. Did he make guys better? Was pretty inefficient in he eyes. I felt Amir did just as good personally.

2. Has Wright really flourished? He fits into the Mason model for ,e. When your team is bad someone has to score. The PAC12 is better this year, but the past couple it's been awful. NBA scouts will let us know how great McKinleys been. I still think Carr is better imo

Last edited:

I can't picture Wright taking over games like Carr has a few times this season

Couple things.
1. How'd Mason spoil us? One good year with him. Did he make guys better? Was pretty inefficient in he eyes. I felt Amir did just as good personally.

2. Has Wright really flourished? He fits into the Mason model for ,e. When your team is bad someone has to score. The PAC12 is better this year, but the past couple it's been awful. NnBA scouts will let us know how great McKinleys been. I still think Carr is better imo
Wright is definitely better than just "someone has to score". His career FG% is 46% compared to 39% for Mason and averages 5.1 assists compared to 4.1 for Nate.

I agree Carr is at least comparable to Wright though. More points and assists, but slightly more inefficient

This was also poroven when he reopened his recruitment and Pitino offered again.

McKinley reopened recruiting on April 7 and Matz’s announcement came April 14. And I think Matz took the last scholarship that year. McKinley did say the gophers were one of about 15 teams speaking with him the second time around, but it doesn’t look like a scholarship was available.

I am confused by the U acceptance part of this thread. Do universities no longer allow for exceptions for student athletes? Did this go away when the U eliminated the GC, general college?
I spent some time at U Illinois in the late 70s and recall the student newspaper reported one player read at the third grade level and another at the 6th grade level (yes, a whole different PII back then too)

Top Bottom