Man I love watching this defense!!!

hendo59

Reaction score
I can't remember saying that in the 22 years that I have followed Gopher football. Pressure, turnovers, energy, effort...man I hope this continues in the B1G, and I believe it will. Young, fast, and talented. They are going to be fun to watch the next few years. Love it!!! :clap:

Go Gophs!!!

Great tribute to Tye Carter on his night. It was back in the TC days in the Gopher backfield when I last saw a good defense.

Well, I don't know about 22 years, but this is certainly the best, most high energy defense I've seen since 1999 here at the U. They got after it and fed off a hyped up crowd and made HUGE plays. BIG sacks and MULTIPLE turnovers. Our offense for my taste was a little vanilla and safe... but hey, correct me but NO turnovers on offense, we milked the clock as much as we could and Kirkwood was a yard shy of 100yds, and most importantly.. it was a HUGE win to move us to 4-0. I swear this defense gets twice as good with every week, keep it going #gophernation.

1999 was the last time I remember us having a good/great defense that could go out and win a game. Schlecht and Riley were unstoppable on the d-line with TC and others on the backside making plays. Tonight they shut down a very good Syracuse offense, it was fun to be in a game with a fairly thin lead and feel confident that the defense was not going to let them score. We have not had that around here in a long time.

agreed.

dominating perf by our pass rush. when was the last time we had a pass rush this good?? I was actually excited to see the D come back on the field..#bizarroworld

1999 was the last time I remember us having a good/great defense that could go out and win a game. Schlecht and Riley were unstoppable on the d-line with TC and others on the backside making plays. Tonight they shut down a very good Syracuse offense, it was fun to be in a game with a fairly thin lead and feel confident that the defense was not going to let them score. We have not had that around here in a long time.

Yes, '99 was a good D. I forgot about them, probably because we've had such poor defense here for so long it just got buried in my memory! :) But if this D keeps improving each week like it has, I definitely believe it will be the best we've seen here in decades, including that '99 D. I'm very excited to see what happens with these kids the rest of the year.

This defense takes me back to two great defensive teams. In 1999 we allow a total of 196 points in 12 games and average of 16.3 points per game. That team had Scheclt, Dryon Russ, Karon Riley, and Jon Michals, Willie Midddlebrooks, Jimmy Wyrick, Tryonne Carter, Delvin Jones, Sean Hoffman. But the other team was the 1977 team which allow 180 points in 12 games for a 15 point per game average. They pitched 3 shutouts that year including the Number 1 team in the Nation. They had Stan Sytsma, Mark Merrill, Steve Midboe, Ken Foxworth, Steve Stewart, Michael Hunt, and a heck of place kicker in Paul Rogin.

Now so far this year we have given up a total, of 67 points in 4 games or an average 16.75

My favorite part was when the BTN announcers would commend Michael "I'm-a-fool-ah" on a tackle or sack.

Maybe their pronunciation is correct, but I have always heard "A-meff-uhl-ah" from the KFAN guys and I trust them more.

Fast...aggressive...great tackling...fearless.
Yup. The U Defense is Boss

I have very rarely felt as confident late in a ballgame as I did tonight. Just felt like our rush was making them feel uncomfortable.

I have very rarely felt as confident late in a ballgame as I did tonight. Just felt like our rush was making them feel uncomfortable.

Thinking the same the same thing. They are not giving up big plays. The last few years we have given up a lot of easy points. Tackling was a little slippery a couple of times. Baltazzar did not have a good game IMO, hope to get Shabazz back soon. Our corners are really pressing the receivers. No more cushion.

The tackling is much improved ... Only had a couple of those "miss a tackle, oh crap this is bad" moments last night. A breath of fresh air.

Top Bottom