M Gray shows class

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16517083

I can't help but appreciate the attitude #5 shows in this article. It seems he's not happy about not playing QB, but also realizes him complaining about it isn't going to help matters and remains respectful of the current staff. Just a very considerate and thoughfful response to the question, I thought.

And why he should definitely be a Captain next year!

MG wants to play QB. And he is the likeliest starting QB on this team next year, and it isn't even close.

Minnesota is still his best shot at playing QB at the BCS-level. The only way he leaves is if Minnesota hires some HC that is completely opposed to having a QB with his skill-set. But even so, I would think (unless the new staff is nuts) they will adapt whatever offense they are installing to be suitable for MG's skills.

We should find out this Spring.

Gray is a QB at heart & I hope he at least is as good as Pad'em Weber next year...

God forbid we start a 60 pound overweight Alipate next year. Both these kids played in All-Star games & have a lot of potential...too bad the coaching staff didn't have clue what to do with them...

That article highlights the absurdity of grown men (mainstream journalists among them) hanging on every word of the "tweets" of young college kids and reading all kinds of meaning into the broken phrases and slang...hmmm, is he talking transfer?! Oh no, I guess he was just talking about breaking up with his girlfriend. :confused:

Gray is a QB at heart & I hope he at least is as good as Pad'em Weber next year...

God forbid we start a 60 pound overweight Alipate next year. Both these kids played in All-Star games & have a lot of potential...too bad the coaching staff didn't have clue what to do with them...

Alipate is not good and made the allstar game on frame and name alone. Anyone who has watched him play sees that he is not ever going to be a good QB in the Big Ten. While perhaps he will someday be the starter, if he is, we won't be better than a below average team.

Alipate is not good and made the allstar game on frame and name alone. Anyone who has watched him play sees that he is not ever going to be a good QB in the Big Ten. While perhaps he will someday be the starter, if he is, we won't be better than a below average team.

What's the other Adam's story?

Since Gray was redshirted to get his academic qualification in order, wouldn't he have to sit a year if he transferred? So, if he were to leave, he would only have 1 season of eligibilty remaining. He could play 2yrs here. I think that makes it more likely he stays.

Since Gray was redshirted to get his academic qualification in order, wouldn't he have to sit a year if he transferred? So, if he were to leave, he would only have 1 season of eligibilty remaining. He could play 2yrs here. I think that makes it more likely he stays.

Gray wasn't redshirted, because he was not enrolled in school he lost no eligibility. He is a true sophomore.

What's the other Adam's story?

I can't speak to Gray's ability as a QB, I just haven't seen enough of him. I saw the Army AA game, the spring games, and "The Drive" at Ohio State. Sample size is simply not there for me. From what I have seen he has all the potential in the world. Perhaps he is not smart enough as some have implied, but they know no more than me.
Personally I'd rather have a dumb Qb with a lot of skill then a smart QB who is inaccurate and slow. Vince Young had one of the lowest Wonderlich tests in the history of the test, I'd take him as a college QB or Pro QB any day of the week.

I can't speak to Gray's ability as a QB, I just haven't seen enough of him. I saw the Army AA game, the spring games, and "The Drive" at Ohio State. Sample size is simply not there for me. From what I have seen he has all the potential in the world. Perhaps he is not smart enough as some have implied, but they know no more than me.
Personally I'd rather have a dumb Qb with a lot of skill then a smart QB who is inaccurate and slow. Vince Young had one of the lowest Wonderlich tests in the history of the test, I'd take him as a college QB or Pro QB any day of the week.

This is how I feel. We haven't seen enough of Gray. It's like they'll give you a sample but it's not enough to decide whether you do think they're good or not or if they need a few games to grow. I think the last coaching staff didn't see the error in having Gray play the most at QB during a Bowl Game cuz in my opinion it's a different level to be judged on compared to getting warmed up in a regular season game due to the pressure.

I think Gray will not be to his full form until midway through the next season & it's a shame the next coach has to live with the mistakes the last one made...

I am of the personal opinion that Gray should be starting in his 23rd consecutive game this saturday. The team would not have been worse than the 7-15 it is during that time.
At least then we'd know if he was the QB of the future. Instead of having to debate this we'd already know.

As for Alipate, I can say I've seen enough games of him to know I'd rather have Ryan Grant starting at QB next year than Alipate.

I am of the personal opinion that Gray should be starting in his 23rd consecutive game this saturday. The team would not have been worse than the 7-15 it is during that time.
At least then we'd know if he was the QB of the future. Instead of having to debate this we'd already know.

As for Alipate, I can say I've seen enough games of him to know I'd rather have Ryan Grant starting at QB next year than Alipate.

It does no good to dwell on the past, but I agree with you completely. Oh well, hopefully Gray stays and a new coach will use the talent. Brew and Horton are going to look like fools if Gray lights it up next year.

Gray wasn't redshirted, because he was not enrolled in school he lost no eligibility. He is a true sophomore.

This is correct. He would have to sit out a year if he transferred to to another FBS school, but he'd still have two full years of eligibility left.

I know Rosemountain thinks Alipate is terrible and that's fine, but it is one of the most absurd things to say that Moses is 60lbs overweight. He isn't a fat kid, he's big and pretty athletic.

I know Rosemountain thinks Alipate is terrible and that's fine, but it is one of the most absurd things to say that Moses is 60lbs overweight. He isn't a fat kid, he's big and pretty athletic.

One can be big and athletic, but still overweight. I actually agree with Rose to some degree - Moses looks like he could stand to lose 20lbs or so.

The name part doesn't really make sense. I don't think the "Alipate name" really is enough to get an invite to the Under Armour All American game. I really doubt the kids of every guy who played two seasons in the NFL are going to get graded high by every single scouting service and get an invite to that game. It just doesn't make sense.

Ryan Grant has more name recognition than Moses ALipate (as did Nate Tice, etc.), and they never went to a game of that prestige. Alipate got invited because his tangibles are really impressive. He has a big frame, a big arm, and is fairly athletic. It had nothing to do with him being the son of a guy who played two NFL seasons.

One can be big and athletic, but still overweight. I actually agree with Rose to some degree - Moses looks like he could stand to lose 20lbs or so.

Yeah, Moses could get leaner, but he is not 60 lbs overweight.

84176053.jpg

Reminds me of this...

lorenzen-giants.jpg

Ironically his name is "Jared"...

So you are comparing him to QB whose nickname was "hefty lefty" to say he isn't overweight? I believe the Jared was used by the giants mainly in short yardage situations for QB sneaks.

Actually I have seen him play plenty and while I will not guarantee that he can be a great QB one day, the talent is definitely evident and he has plenty of potential. Not really fair to judge him by what he did with some awful talent around him in high school.
________
Extreme Vaporizer

A couple of things
1) I have never made a comment about his weight, while others have, weight has never weighed into my thinking he is a bad QB.
2) It is fair to judge him by what I have seen. He has a big arm, an inaccurate arm, a poor decision maker in high school. He doesn't win games. Jefferson may have had inferior talent to their opponents but it wasn't so much of a difference where one guy could have made them competitive if it was the right guy., but Alipate wasn't able to lead them to better than a 3 win season. In most of the losses they were not remotely close. They were not able to put up points because he could not hit 50% of his passes. If you took a poll of the coaches in the Lake from Alipates time there, they would all say he doesn't have a Big Ten future. They would all say that he wasn't a top 3 QB in the conference his senior year.
3) When I say name and frame, his dad is a former NFL backer. He is a kid with a huge frame that started in the big school conference as an underclassmen. This alone got him on the radar of the recruiting websites. Pre-internet (when a lot of kids got their offers their senior year), he would probably have been a D1-AA guy. When he got his offer his jr year, his record as a starter was something like 2-16 and had completed less than 45% of his passes as a varsity QB. You tell me he was offered due to on the field performance.

Maybe I will be wrong, if he is ever the starter I BETTER be wrong or it will make me long for the days of Adam Weber.

A couple of things
1) I have never made a comment about his weight, while others have, weight has never weighed into my thinking he is a bad QB.
2) It is fair to judge him by what I have seen. He has a big arm, an inaccurate arm, a poor decision maker in high school. He doesn't win games. Jefferson may have had inferior talent to their opponents but it wasn't so much of a difference where one guy could have made them competitive if it was the right guy., but Alipate wasn't able to lead them to better than a 3 win season. In most of the losses they were not remotely close. They were not able to put up points because he could not hit 50% of his passes. If you took a poll of the coaches in the Lake from Alipates time there, they would all say he doesn't have a Big Ten future. They would all say that he wasn't a top 3 QB in the conference his senior year.
3) When I say name and frame, his dad is a former NFL backer. He is a kid with a huge frame that started in the big school conference as an underclassmen. This alone got him on the radar of the recruiting websites. Pre-internet (when a lot of kids got their offers their senior year), he would probably have been a D1-AA guy. When he got his offer his jr year, his record as a starter was something like 2-16 and had completed less than 45% of his passes as a varsity QB. You tell me he was offered due to on the field performance.

Maybe I will be wrong, if he is ever the starter I BETTER be wrong or it will make me long for the days of Adam Weber.

I've known (and still know) a lot of coaches at Jefferson, in a variety of sports. I've said this before (it's been a while) but if Moses makes some noise next year, it will be a victory to the coaching staff. Only because he does not lack talent, he only has lacked the will to work hard enough to compensate for the fact that he was always a great athlete that never had to work really hard to be the best player on the team (up until he got to "The" U). He is an immensely talented athlete, and he and his family are really great people, so I'm pulling for him, but he'll need to show up before I believe he can be the man. (But athletically, he certainly can).

Top Bottom