Lunardi Bracketology Gophers # 11

This is actually a mock bracket. ...

that the media types did over the weekend (see link below). It does not include Sunday's results. It's not Lunardi's own projection. How else could you explain both Georgetown & especially Notre Dame in this projected bracket?

It is interesting that it appears the ESPN types don't like the Gophers' chances at this point. Good thing they're not on the Selection Committee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3927895

I sure do like the Gophers chances in that bracket! I'll take it!

that the media types did over the weekend (see link below). It does not include Sunday's results. It's not Lunardi's own projection. How else could you explain both Georgetown & especially Notre Dame in this projected bracket?

It is interesting that it appears the ESPN types don't like the Gophers' chances at this point. Good thing they're not on the Selection Committee.

I found it interesting that when they simmed the Big Ten Tourney, they had the gophers defeating Illinois in the Championship game. I wonder how they came up with this. I also found it interesting that they said had we not won the Big Ten tourney we would have missed out on the big dance.

The mock selection threw in a few different wrinkles (like the Gophers winning the BTT, Georgetown winning the Big East) because the final few days of the selection process things rarely play out true to regular-season form.

There would be waaaaay to much Sconnie invasion with this bracket if you ask me...

Minneapolis
(6) Texas (11) Wisconsin (3) Marquette (14) VERMONT / Amer East

Then you toss Michigan State in there too....wow
(6) Utah (11) NIAGARA / MAAC (3) Michigan St (14) BELMONT / Atl Sun

Attendance certainly wouldn't be a problem with the two Wisconsin schools + Michigan State. That would be a major plus for folks trying to make a buck or two off their tickets.

possible 2nd round vs. Villanova in Philly?

And an 11 would be fantastic! Just makes the second round easier.

How does Villanova get to play in Philly? I know it's a mock bracket but you would think they would still adhere to the rule about teams not playing at home in the first 2 rounds. Is it a technicality because another Philadelphia school is the host school, not Nova?

They aren't the host, it happened a couple years back when they played here actually in the SS and EE. Their first two games that year were at the Wachovia Center (I believe thats what it is called) in Philly as well.

We need an NDSU or a UND to serve as host

If the U could ever find someone to serve as host, the Gophers could play at the Dome in the NCAAs. A real longshot at best, but I suppose a regional D-I school like NDSU or UND (once they're full-fledged D-I) could take on that monumental task if they wanted to.

The reason Villanova can play in Philadelphia is that A) they're not the "host" school at the Wachovia Center (St. Joe's is), and B) even though they've played a couple of "home" games there, they haven't played enough there for the NCAA to automatically declare the Wachovia Center a home building. I believe 3 games is the limit.

Hodger, the best bet for the Gophers to play an NCAA game in the Twin Cities would be if whatever league that NDSU/SDSU/UND are in would have their league tournament here, then have the league "host." Either that or have NDSU host at the Fargodome. Don't laugh too hard. Both Spokane Arena and the Taco in Boise are DUMPS, but are scheduled to host NCAA action over the enxt two years.

Note, Notre Dame is slated as last four out. But in the brackets themselves, they are a #11 seed.

Hodger, the best bet for the Gophers to play an NCAA game in the Twin Cities would be if whatever league that NDSU/SDSU/UND are in would have their league tournament here, then have the league "host." Either that or have NDSU host at the Fargodome. Don't laugh too hard. Both Spokane Arena and the Taco in Boise are DUMPS, but are scheduled to host NCAA action over the enxt two years.

The Fargodome would actually be a pretty good place to host an NCAA tournament. The Fargodome is compatible for basketball, and it's by no means a dump; it was only build about 15 years ago, and it's pretty fan-friendly. Further, it's probably logistically a much easier way to play close to home than for the Summit league to hold their tournament in Minneapolis at the Dome.

I know its a mock, but Gonzaga is tough. They are talented, although not that deep. Some of the rankings kind of shock me, like Florida St as a #4. Big ups to Lunardi slotting UCLA a 7, they were in the top 10 not long ago but I haven't liked them all season.

Also notice Monson sliding in as a 15...

When it comes to these kind of "mock" selections, ESPN is hardly a good or accurate source of information. They tried to do something similar about a year ago where they basically tried to play out some fantasy college football season under the guise of "determining a true national champion." It turned out to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

In the end, ESPN is extremely predictable in cases like this. They will always favor big-name teams. That's why you see bad teams like Georgetown and Notre Dame in the bracket. They've already decided the Big East reigns supreme and they'll find reasons to get those teams into the field if they can.

Also, the fact that they had the Gophers winning the Big Ten Tournament to get in is laughable. This is the only way the Gophers could get in?? Really?? So, in other words, they don't think the Gophers will get in based on their regular season performance, even though they already have 20 wins and have a pretty decent shot at getting to 10 wins in the Big Ten, which would put them at 22-8 overall with a pretty strong RPI being likely. So, that wasn't enough the first time around and they were a long-shot. Now, apparently realizing this oversight, they've decided to just assume the Gophers win the Big Ten Tournament title and get in on a technicality because they realized they had overlooked Minnesota and thought "oh, we overlooked Minnesota. Let's just have them win the Big Ten Tournament to get in and then we won't look so stupid."

So, they wanted to get Minnesota into the tournament and did so by having them win the Big Ten Tournament, which by the way, would get them to about 23 or 24 wins assuming they don't win another game the rest of the regular season. Worst case scenario I see happening is we go 21-9 and 9-9 in the Big Ten, which probably does put us on the bubble. However, If they do manage to win two of those next three games and get to 10-8 and 22-8, which is kind of what we're all thinking at this point, that would make them either 24-8 or 25-8 after winning the Big Ten Tourney. But according to ESPN, they better win that Big Ten Tourney, otherwise, they're a long shot to make the NCAAs at, say, 23-9 and 10-8 or 22-10 and 9-9 after winning one and losing one in the conference tourney?? None of it makes any sense. But hey, keep up the good work ESPN!!...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom