LSU? Big time Games? What!

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
A buddy of mine called me tonight, and said something that put me into a semi-shock of excitement. He said he had seen it somewhere (i'm guessing rivals) and been told by some friends that Maturi said the Gophers are about to announce that they will be playing some 'big time teams' and it will be announced in the next 15 days. rumor has it one of these will be LSU? Is this just another TEXAS rumor, or anyone have any inside info or other knowledge of this? I want to believe it but it reminds me too much of the Texas rumor, someone please tell me its true, and if so Baton Rouge would be a 100% for sure road trip.
Go Gophs!

A few years ago it was reported that LSU wanted us to come down there without a return game, and we refused. It would be fun if this one did work out! Although I definitely would want the return game if that was case.

I'm in the heart of LSU country, and this is the first I've heard of it.

I'd be very skeptical, simply because the Big Ten almost never plays the SEC unless it's a bowl game, and it has nothing to do with what happens on the field.

I'm in the heart of LSU country, and this is the first I've heard of it.

I'd be very skeptical, simply because the Big Ten almost never plays the SEC unless it's a bowl game, and it has nothing to do with what happens on the field.

I know, which is why I'm delaying my excitement as it has only been talked about on the internet, no official announcements or anything...but why would Maturi say that? its too good of a tease and would be just down right mean to the fans if it was just made up...so there has to be something behind the curtain worth him saying that...

I was listening to Sid and Dave this morning, and Maturi said during an interview, when referring to the better schedule these days, that there are "a number of very exciting match-ups" that will be announced in the coming days/weeks/months, and that the fans would be pleased. He even went so far as to throw the number of 15-20 different match-ups, including the ones already announced/being played this year that are going to be on the schedule from major conference programs.

He also talked about the Notre Dame situation to some degree, saying that the new AD there wanted to go away somewhat from their traditional Big Ten games (Michigan, MSU, Purdue), and have "Big Ten Slots", to where they would play the Minnesota's, Wisconsin's, etc., and that he already had told the AD there that we wanted to be part of that rotation.

Maturi never gave any specifics as to whom they would be announcing, but he said fans would be pleased. Take it for what you will...

Gophers playing in Death Valley? I'm so there!!! Nobody tailgates like the Cajuns!

It would be a great test for the gophers to go in to one of the most intimidating environments in football and play them in the heat and humidity of Lousiana. The LSU fans are also very good fans who are on the whole very polite and who know how to tailgate with the best of them.

I would only want to book them for a home and home. Traditionally, most SEC
teams are too chicken to venture north of the Mason-Dixon line.

I would only want to book them for a home and home. Traditionally, most SEC
teams are too chicken to venture north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Agreed. But what a great home and home it would be!

If we did home and home we should make certain that the trip here is in November. We go play in the heat and then they get a taste of colder weather.

Note: I am NOT saying/complaining how cold it is in MN, but the fact remains that November in MN is colder than Nov in Louisiana.

Right on.

Everyone likes to talk about SEC superiority, but let's remember something....SEC teams
INTENTIONALLY only play games in southern climates or warm conditions. Bowl games
are warmer climates.

To get a true indication as to just how good the SEC is vs the Big Ten, it can only
be derived by looking at how well SEC teams play vs Northern teams on THEIR turf.

IF the SEC were to send some teams up north late in the season, and can beat Big 10
teams under those conditions, then I would tip my hat to them. Something tells me
that they'd struggle, every bit as much as Big 10 teams do when they play down south.

Notre Dame

I was listening to Sid and Dave this morning, and Maturi said during an interview, when referring to the better schedule these days, that there are "a number of very exciting match-ups" that will be announced in the coming days/weeks/months, and that the fans would be pleased. He even went so far as to throw the number of 15-20 different match-ups, including the ones already announced/being played this year that are going to be on the schedule from major conference programs.

He also talked about the Notre Dame situation to some degree, saying that the new AD there wanted to go away somewhat from their traditional Big Ten games (Michigan, MSU, Purdue), and have "Big Ten Slots", to where they would play the Minnesota's, Wisconsin's, etc., and that he already had told the AD there that we wanted to be part of that rotation.

Maturi never gave any specifics as to whom they would be announcing, but he said fans would be pleased. Take it for what you will...

I want to say that in 2016 or so, Purdue will play ND every other year (or something like that) in orde to free up ND's schedule. I think MSU and Michigan are doing something similar but not sure exactly. I'm too lazy to actually look it up.

Right on.

Everyone likes to talk about SEC superiority, but let's remember something....SEC teams
INTENTIONALLY only play games in southern climates or warm conditions. Bowl games
are warmer climates.

To get a true indication as to just how good the SEC is vs the Big Ten, it can only
be derived by looking at how well SEC teams play vs Northern teams on THEIR turf.

IF the SEC were to send some teams up north late in the season, and can beat Big 10
teams under those conditions, then I would tip my hat to them. Something tells me
that they'd struggle, every bit as much as Big 10 teams do when they play down south.

To be fair however sending them up here in December is definitely an extreme while Big 10 teams playing in Florida in January is not really the opposite end of the heat extreme as it will not be 100 degrees most likely in January there. I think that the best way to determine the superior teams is have them play around late September when the weather is more moderate in both places both for heat and cold.

LSU thinking that the U would be willing to come down to Baton Rouge without a return trip is just dumb. When is the last time any BCS team just went away and never had a return trip.

As for SEC teams going north of the Mason-Dixon line the worst is Florida the last time the have left the state for an OOC game was in 1991 against Syracuse. I know they play FSU OOC but the others are Charleston Southern???, Troy(8-5), and FIU(5-7).

As for the ND thing. I know I'm biased as a Purdue fan but for ND to stop playing its traditional B10 rivals is an weak-*@# move. Maybe they should grow a pair and not have an "away game" in San Antiono vs Washington State or a game at Giants Stadium against UConn. ND has one of the largest subway alum networks in the nation so they will really be a home game.

MSU-Notre Dame series

Here's the info on Sparty-Notre Dame renewal, per MSU web site.

After the current contract with Notre Dame expires after the 2011 game, the Spartans and Irish will meet 10 times over the next 14 seasons (2012-2025).

I wish we could keep the Mason schedule of playing a decent team once every three years and roll to a 4-0 start without testing ourselves! Where are the Mason lovers now! Way to go Maturi! Tougher competition makes for a tougher team! Proud to show we're not a bunch of p*ssies like Wisconsin! We grew a pair and we're ready to get serious with our program again!

I'll guess Arkansas. Minnesota has a road game open. Very few BCS-conference teams have openings that they need to fill for 2010. Like Minnesota, Arkansas still has 2.

I'll guess Arkansas. Minnesota has a road game open. Very few BCS-conference teams have openings that they need to fill for 2010. Like Minnesota, Arkansas still has 2.

That wouldn't be a terrible BCS matchup. Driveable at least.

Arkansas would be another great option I think. Great mid level SEC team, would be a respectable win or loss....That would be a great road trip.

USC and Arkansas (like us a mid-level conference team) in one season? Ouch

Keep that S.O.S. through the roof, we'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable going into conference games because we'll have already seen the best of the best in USC and solid competition from Arkansas. Maybe that's what's been keeping us on the cusp of greatness over the years: Lameass scheduling that doesn't prep us for real competition.

Keep that S.O.S. through the roof, we'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable going into conference games because we'll have already seen the best of the best in USC and solid competition from Arkansas. Maybe that's what's been keeping us on the cusp of greatness over the years: Lameass scheduling that doesn't prep us for real competition.
+1

Top Bottom