LSU/ALABAMA REMATCH COMING!

Not unexpected and I'm sure a lot of folks will not be happy. OSU losing to a 6-6 Iowa State team killed their chances. They likely could have made it with their loss being to a K.State or Baylor but losing to Iowa State did them in. I was not thrilled about the Wisc/Mich St rematch in the Big10 Championship and was not going to watch but was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining a game it was. I just didn't like the outcome.

wish there was a playoff system like the FCS.

however, a loss to #1 team LSU is better than a loss to a crappy iowa state team.

How about Illinois vs. UCLA. Both coaches fired. They should sign with ESPN and work the sidelines.

Why cannot the NCAA figure out, we want a Champion decided on the field. BCS and Figure Skating have too much in common. If LSU beats Alabama again what will it prove? Alabama did not win a SEC Division, was not in the SEC Championship. And The OK St laid the wood to Oklahoma winning the Big 12 Championship. The answer, a NCAA Football Championship game played in the week between the NFL Conference Championship. Take over the week, get a Sponsor, get a network, a a ton of dough. This is not brain surgery. If LSU beats Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and The Ok St U beats Stanford in the Fiesta a game between LSU and The Ok St U. At this point LSU has nothin to prove, and eveything to lose. It would seem the BCS argument that the NCAA Football tournement is played each Saturday is now mute.

Why cannot the NCAA figure out, we want a Champion decided on the field. BCS and Figure Skating have too much in common. If LSU beats Alabama again what will it prove? Alabama did not win a SEC Division, was not in the SEC Championship. And The OK St laid the wood to Oklahoma winning the Big 12 Championship. The answer, a NCAA Football Championship game played in the week between the NFL Conference Championship. Take over the week, get a Sponsor, get a network, a a ton of dough. This is not brain surgery. If LSU beats Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and The Ok St U beats Stanford in the Fiesta a game between LSU and The Ok St U. At this point LSU has nothin to prove, and eveything to lose. It would seem the BCS argument that the NCAA Football tournement is played each Saturday is now mute.
Alabama lost by a FG in OT to the #1 team. Alabama > OSU. Seems to me that everything has already been decided on the field and the legit #1 and #2 teams will be going at it in the national championship game. What's the problem?

Edit: and why on earth would you put the #1 and #2 teams on the same side of the bracket?

Alabama lost by a FG in OT to the #1 team. Alabama > OSU. Seems to me that everything has already been decided on the field and the legit #1 and #2 teams will be going at it in the national championship game. What's the problem?
Yes, everything has already been decided on the field including the National Championship game. According to the NCAA every game matters, but the fact that this is the National Championship game proves just the opposite.

I think the really controversial outcome will be if Alabama beats LSU in a field goal fest in the rematch (especially if the Cowboys were to win comfortably in their game).

Yes, everything has already been decided on the field including the National Championship game. According to the NCAA every game matters, but the fact that this is the National Championship game proves just the opposite.
Maybe if Bama had gotten blown out, or if OSU had beaten ISU, things would be different. It's pretty clear who the best and second best teams are in CFB this year and they will both be playing in the national championship, as it should be.

I think the really controversial outcome will be if Alabama beats LSU in a field goal fest in the rematch (especially if the Cowboys were to win comfortably in their game).
If OSU dominates and Alabama barely wins, I can see OSU getting the AP championship.

Maybe if Bama had gotten blown out, or if OSU had beaten ISU, things would be different. It's pretty clear who the best and second best teams are in CFB this year and they will both be playing in the national championship, as it should be.

Much as you try to make this a clear-cut, black-and-white decision, it just isn't. If they are as CLEARLY the better team as you claim them to be, they ought to be able to prove it in a playoff, too. As it stands, we've seen this movie before. Alabama had plenty of chances to win against LSU on their own turf, but their offense couldn't get it done. It's not like it's impossible for a good team to score against LSU - Oregon put up 27 against them without the benefit of a home crowd (they also gave up 40, but to be fair, the Tigers in all likelihood are the best team in the country).

OSU played a significantly tougher schedule than Alabama and slipped up once. Does Alabama do as well with their schedule? You can't know that. While the Tide were sitting at home eating chicken wings and watching the conference championship they didn't play well enough to get into, the Cowboys were CRUSHING a top-10 team in their conference championship game. Really, there's the most powerful argument right there - we KNOW Alabama isn't the best team in their conference. Why, then, should they be automatically entitled to a shot at being crowned the best team in the country? We already know they're not, if indeed the BCS defenders' "regular season counts" arguments are valid.

I'm not saying OSU is the better team and unambiguously deserves it over Alabama, either. I'm saying that the case for Alabama is nowhere near as self-evident as you seem to believe it is. A playoff system is warranted, though it will never happen on account of the greed that permeates college sports.

And since we know the sensible thing will never happen, my opinion is that we've seen this movie before. Play something else. Maybe in this one, the other team will score a touchdown.

But it's too late for that now, too. My only hope now is that there's a result that calls the decision into question. For instance, if Alabama gets rolled and OSU cruises.

When Alabama beats LSU (they will unless they have another special teams debacle), will it mean the system got it right or the system got it wrong?

Defenses = tie
offenses = advantage Alabama
Special teams = advantage LSU

I'll go 17-10 Alabama

Much as you try to make this a clear-cut, black-and-white decision, it just isn't. If they are as CLEARLY the better team as you claim them to be, they ought to be able to prove it in a playoff, too.
A playoff solves nothing, all it does is move the controversy to who qualifies for the playoff, and the seeding. If anything, things are worse because more teams get screwed. The BCS isn't perfect, but there is very little controversy in the BCS that wouldn't occur under any other system. OSU would have made it if not for that one bad loss. Their fate was in their hands. You can't use the tougher schedule as an excuse. They lost to a mediocre team. Bama lost to the best.

A playoff solves nothing, all it does is move the controversy to who qualifies for the playoff, and the seeding. If anything, things are worse because more teams get screwed. The BCS isn't perfect, but there is very little controversy in the BCS that wouldn't occur under any other system. OSU would have made it if not for that one bad loss. Their fate was in their hands. You can't use the tougher schedule as an excuse. They lost to a mediocre team. Bama lost to the best.

Sorry, but this is BS. The arguments for Alabama in the title game are at least reasonable. This is not.

The debate over who deserves the national championship every year is generally limited to a half dozen teams, at the VERY most. To create a playoff system big enough to cover every team that has a legitimate claim would be a trivial matter compared with the horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# we go through to decide the BCS standings. You can even limit it to teams that win their conference if you wanted to make absolutely sure.

Even if I take your argument to be true and teams do get screwed over, it will undoubtedly screw over fewer teams than the BCS. It doesn't have to be perfect to be an improvement. There are people left out in the cold (or with unjustly unfavorable seeds) on Selection Sunday. But do you see anyone calling for an end to March Madness? No, of course not.

The college football postseason is an antiquated relic that should have been kicked to the curb years ago. For a time, the bloated corpse of the bowl system continued to shamble along on the fumes of tradition (along with a few mumbles of "it can't be done," despite the fact that every other D1 sport seems to be able to manage it). This excuse, however, is growing exceedingly weak - the NCG overshadows to the point of insignificance all of the bowls that the BCS claims to be trying to preserve. This year, the oldest and most storied bowl game will be a consolation prize played between two teams who are disappointed to be there. And lest we forget the "Rose Bowl East" debacle. No, we all know the real reason the BCS will always continues to exist. And it certainly isn't because it benefits the players, schools, or the fans.

Let's be real, here. Can you think of any other sporting league IN THE WORLD where its leaders have to make excuses to justify its broken championship system year after year? Because I sure can't.

My main point is not that OSU deserves a shot more than Alabama does (though I would personally rather see something I haven't seen before). I already knew the arguments in Alabama's favor before you raised them - you weren't telling me anything I hadn't already heard when I made my counter-argument. I would put the odds that Alabama is a better team than OSU at about 60%, give or take a few. But that's far too low to justify just handing them a title shot - especially not when they didn't even play in their CCG. That such a level of uncertainty exists in the first place is proof enough that the BCS is flawed. Championships should be a sure thing, not a matter left up for debate.

If OSU dominates and Alabama barely wins, I can see OSU getting the AP championship.

This is exactly what I've been thinking since Saturday night. OK State wins by 4 touchdowns, Bama wins 2-0 in 3-OT on a botched LSU FG attempt that somehow gets kicked around and ends up going out of bounds past the LSU goal line. If only dreams could come true!

When Alabama beats LSU (they will unless they have another special teams debacle), will it mean the system got it right or the system got it wrong

If Bama beats LSU both teams will 1 - 1 vs each other this year.

Does that mean they will be co-champions or will there be an 'and one' game.

I think I'll just wait for the recap by DL65.

I think it is amazing how the SEC has in the period of just a few years advanced to the point where their conference title race leads to an automatic seat in the NC game (even with two losses) and now beyond... where they can hold BOTH spots in the NC game. Meanwhile, their record in the Non conference and bowl games just doesn't seem worthy of that. Didn't they go 5-5 last year in bowls? Don't they own something like a slim 1 game (or so) advantage head to head against the Big 10 in bowl games over the past 12 years?

I found it frustrating enough that the SEC played off for one spot in the NC game while the rest of the entire country played for the other spot. This is now so screwed up that I don't plan to watch the NC game for the first time since it was introduced. I'm just not interested. I guess that is my way of voting with my feet.

I could virtually write a book on how big of a joke the BCS is, but I will summarize my thoughts thusly:

The delicious irony for the "every game matters" crowd is that the regular season LSU/Alabama game (the only 1 vs. 2 regular season matchup in the last 5 years; a game that, in theory, should matter more than any other regular season game in the last 5 years) has now been rendered competely and utterly meaningless, regardless of the outcome of the BCS Championship Game.

Frankly, I am very excited that the NCG is represented by 2 programs that oversign, have players who beat the crap out of random people at bars, and have players who fail drug tests midseason.

/sarcasm

I could virtually write a book on how big of a joke the BCS is, but I will summarize my thoughts thusly:

The delicious irony for the "every game matters" crowd is that the regular season LSU/Alabama game (the only 1 vs. 2 regular season matchup in the last 5 years; a game that, in theory, should matter more than any other regular season game in the last 5 years) has now been rendered competely and utterly meaningless, regardless of the outcome of the BCS Championship Game.

It wasn't meaningless, if either team would have won by 3 touchdowns they would be playing Oklahoma St. instead. There is no debate, the two best teams in college football this year are playing in the championship game. Note that this doesn't mean that on any given Saturday Oklahoma St. or a different team might win. What it means is that the two teams with the best overall seasons are playing again.

It wasn't meaningless, if either team would have won by 3 touchdowns they would be playing Oklahoma St. instead.

No, they wouldn't. Everything else being equal, it would be the exact same matchup, with #1 Alabama playing #2 LSU. LSU was so far ahead of everyone else in the computers that one loss, even if it were to Alabama by 40, would put them no worse than #2, because their strength of schedule and quality wins are absurd. LSU probably could've lost the SEC championship game and still been selected for the BCS championship game.

There is no debate, the two best teams in college football this year are playing in the championship game.

Actually, there is quite a debate. I agree that Alabama is the 2nd-best team, but the computers, which are far less prone to bias than the human voters (obviously), had Oklahoma St. #2. Everybody acts as though it's a foregone conclusion because Alabama had a better loss and they play in the almighty SEC. Oklahoma St. had several better wins, played a far tougher schedule (wasn't even close, really) and actually won their conference.

If Bama lost by 3 touchdowns to LSU, I can pretty much guarantee that voters would have OK. St. ranked #2 and Bama #3 or lower. Which would mean Oklahoma St. plays LSU in the BCS title game. Your assumption is that the voters wouldn't recognize this and still would have Bama ranked #2.

If Bama lost by 3 touchdowns to LSU, I can pretty much guarantee that voters would have OK. St. ranked #2 and Bama #3 or lower. Which would mean Oklahoma St. plays LSU in the BCS title game. Your assumption is that the voters wouldn't recognize this and still would have Bama ranked #2.

But they didn't. Ergo, the first game is now meaningless. Shoulda, woulda, couldas don't count.

dpo is correct on the crap-tacular nature of this idiotic rematch. If we're not going to have a playoff, then this is truly the stupidest thing ever. There should be a rule that you can't have 2 teams from the same conference playing for the title.

In 2006, everybody knew that Michigan & Ohio State were the top 2 teams just like everybody knows now that LSU & Alabama are. I call BS. We know no such thing. Alabama played one non-conference BCS opponent - a slightly above average Penn St. LSU played 2: Oregon & West Virginia. Both 2 teams also beat up the rest of the SEC - an SEC that this year featured a fair amount of average to bad teams. Based on this we're supposed to know that these are the 2 best teams. B as in B, S as in S, as Soucheray likes to say.

The fact that there are almost no meaningful non-conference games screams for the fact that you should never determine a NC between 2 teams from the same conference.

GE, I don't like the match-up because we've already seen it. My personal preference is LSU/Oklahoma St. because it's something we haven't already seen. I also didn't like having a B1G conference championship game because we already saw that, but that was hashed out in a different thread. In my ideal world, college football teams would play no more than 1 time per year. To me, that's part of what has made college football unique.

The BCS exists to match up the top two teams. Based on the criteria, (records, rankings, strength of schedule, strength of conference, margin of victory, etc) those are the best two teams. Oklahoma St. lost to a 6-6 Iowa St. team. Stanford lost to Oregon handily, which lost to LSU by 13 points. As one of the others posters mentioned, the conferences don't play each other enough to have a perfect understanding of how they compare, but the top regular season team in the B1G (Michigan St.) lost to an 8-4 Notre Dame team by 18 points. Wisky played no one. Penn St. got throttled at home against Bama. Michigan beat ND on a last second play at home. I agree that Michigan/Ohio St. were the best two teams in 2006. If you don't think Bama is the 2nd best team based on the complete season and everything that has happened in 3+ months of college football, please explain who it should be based on what has happened on the field and not on who we all want.

GE, I don't like the match-up because we've already seen it. My personal preference is LSU/Oklahoma St. because it's something we haven't already seen. I also didn't like having a B1G conference championship game because we already saw that, but that was hashed out in a different thread. In my ideal world, college football teams would play no more than 1 time per year. To me, that's part of what has made college football unique.

The BCS exists to match up the top two teams. Based on the criteria, (records, rankings, strength of schedule, strength of conference, margin of victory, etc) those are the best two teams. Oklahoma St. lost to a 6-6 Iowa St. team. Stanford lost to Oregon handily, which lost to LSU by 13 points. As one of the others posters mentioned, the conferences don't play each other enough to have a perfect understanding of how they compare, but the top regular season team in the B1G (Michigan St.) lost to an 8-4 Notre Dame team by 18 points. Wisky played no one. Penn St. got throttled at home against Bama. Michigan beat ND on a last second play at home. I agree that Michigan/Ohio St. were the best two teams in 2006. If you don't think Bama is the 2nd best team based on the complete season and everything that has happened in 3+ months of college football, please explain who it should be based on what has happened on the field and not on who we all want.

Well both Michigan AND OSU lost their bowl games pretty handily in 2006 so it proved neither were #1 or #2. The same COULD be said this year about Alabama, but we'll never know.

As for my personal opinion, Alabama MAY be the #2 team, but OkSt played a harder schedule (by the numbers), beat more, better opponents, and did falter in one game on the road in OT. To me, if it were any other team at #1 that bama hadn't already lost to, I'd at least be able to stomach the matchup with Bama ahead of OkSt. As it is, no one can(ever) prove to me OkSt is worse than the Tide.

Not from what I've read here but other sites. I'm hearing way too many people not want a re-match because the first game was boring. Honestly, shut the f up if that's your reasoning for being against LSU-Alabama playing again.

I think three things hurt Oklahoma State

1) The Timing of the Loss. Alabama losing too LSU two week later might have changed things.

2) Who the Loss was against- 13-0 LSU vs 6-6 Iowa State.

3) Name recognition-I'm okay with the re-match, but I don't doubt for a second a major program like OU or Texas would have gone ahead of Alabama.

Speaking of Texas. Another example of the messed up system we call the BCS.

Texas has a combined 1 vote in USA today and AP and is ranked #24 in the BCS.

Top Bottom