Lou Holtz predicts Notre Dame to BCS Championship Game

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I heard about this over the weekend and it came up over lunch today with my avid football fan co-workers.

They have the talent,

They have enough talent to go to all the way, the question is do they have the coaching?

Honestly, this could happen. As much as I hate Notre Dame, this could shape up to be a great year for them. They've had 3-4 great recruiting classes in a row, so the talent is there. The schedule is a cake walk - only one pre-season top 25 team, that is USC at #4. Some of the other games?

vs. Nevada
@ Purdue
vs. Washington
vs. Washington State
@ Stanford

About six of their games could be wins without them even showing up. In addition, 8 of their games are home, with only 4 on the road. It's very possible they could be 5-0 heading into the USC game, and if they can spring an upset there, then there really are no other roadblocks on the schedule.

Notre Dame's recruiting classes have been ranked so highly because they are Notre Dame. This is a common problem among recruiting services. Yes they will be improved, but they still are nowhere near the talent level of a top 10 team.

As for ND's season, I see them losing 3 games and "earning" another at large berth in the BCS.

They have 7 home games this year, 4 road games, 1 neutral site game.

Right, and could someone please explain to me why they are playing Washington State in San Antonio? Sounds like a pointless matchup with attendance in the range of 20,000.

Right, and could someone please explain to me why they are playing Washington State in San Antonio? Sounds like a pointless matchup with attendance in the range of 20,000.

They are playing Washington State in San Antonio because Notre Dame feels that it truly has a national fan base and it is a way for them to be able to expand that fanbase into a important recruiting territory, add in the fact that San Antonio has a huge Catholic population and there you have it. I would venture to say that they will definitely get more than 20,000 at that game, being that there is no major university athletic program in San Antonio and it is one of the larger cities in the country. Add in the fact that the University of Texas will be at Ok. State that weekend so no competition from 70 miles to the north. When the New Orleans Saints were displaced to San Antonio after Katrina the support and attendance for their games at the Alamodome was overwhelming.

can someone explain to me this... preseason rankings in college football actualy matter as they basically start the standings. Lou Holtz said that they are ranked high and will play for a national championahip because they have an easy schedule, but not a good team really. does this make sense to anybody??? a top 25 team should not be there in the preseason because of their schedule only...i just dont get this bcs shit

There is no standard philosophy by which the rankings are decided. Some take last years finish and move teams up and down based on arrivals and departures. Some really try to figure out who the most talented teams are now. Some are trying to predict who they think the top 25 will be at the end of the year. Also remember that a little less than a quarter of all teams make the list. So you have to be good but not great.

Even tho lou seems a little homerish and over the top on this he does bring up an important point. When predicting the eventual national champion you first have to figure out who is likely to be undefeated or have only one loss. The choices can only come out ot that group. And as was just demonstrated last year it more than likely has to be a BCS school. Once you figure that out only a handfull of possibilities remain. Lou's point is that ND has at most probably only one loss. All other better teams are likely to not fare as well. so while he admitted that they are probably ranked about right based on talent, his point is that they are likely to be one of the very few that have a legitimate shot of being a candidate when the smoke clears based on the unwritten criteria we all know teams are judged by.

Screw Lou and F Notre Dame. Here's to having them lose a lot of their easy games.

Top Bottom