Los Angeles Times, citing multiple sources, reported Gophers AD Mark Coyle was one of at least three candidates USC explored for the position.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle was a candidate USC considered for its AD opening before reportedly hiring Washington AD Jennifer Cohen.

USC is planning a 3 p.m. announcement Monday, with multiple media outlets saying Cohen will get the job.

The Los Angeles Times, citing multiple sources, reported Sunday that Coyle was one of at least three ADs that USC "vetted" for the position. Coyle has been at Minnesota since the Gophers hired him away from Syracuse in 2016.

USC's previous AD, Mike Bohn, resigned in May citing health reasons amid reports he'd created a hostile work environment during his five years leading the program.

The L.A. Times listed Coyle, along with Florida State's Michael Alford and Florida Atlantic's Brian White, as athletic directors USC explored.

Go Gophers!!

I have a hard time seeing a low-key guy like Coyle taking center stage at a big-time school like USC.
on the other hand, if Coyle left MN, it would have been very interesting to see who took over the AD's job and what impact - if any - the change might have had on coaching positions. Ben Johnson more or less likely to stay with a new AD? How does Fleck get along with a new AD?

I have a hard time seeing a low-key guy like Coyle taking center stage at a big-time school like USC.
on the other hand, if Coyle left MN, it would have been very interesting to see who took over the AD's job and what impact - if any - the change might have had on coaching positions. Ben Johnson more or less likely to stay with a new AD? How does Fleck get along with a new AD?
This would be huge. I don't expect a rubberstamp for everything he asks for, but for sure they need to be on the same page regarding the program as a whole.

From all that I have read on this site, it is the AD that has to get along with PJ.
Not PJ getting along with the AD.

From all that I have read on this site, it is the AD that has to get along with PJ.
If this were true, then I wouldn't apply for the position. It would be stressful having a boss not liking you and having the AD having to force yourself to get along with PJ or anyone else for that matter.

His family is deeply rooted in the Midwest. That is the reason why Mark Coyle came back from Syracuse. PJ Fleck is the same way.

Coyle got a $300k raise in his base salary to leave Syracuse for Minnesota. Maybe a factor but I’m sure it’s the midwestern roots he left for 11 years as an employee and as a college student.

Fleck received over $2.5 million more from Minnesota than he was making at WMU. But again—almost for sure was wanting to return to his families roots.

Coyle's name is out there for lots of jobs. Is his agent selling his availability? Is Coyle looking to raise his value at his present job? He has been here long enough to know how the administration
feels about athletics. We presently don't have a President. It looks like he's going to have to fire and hire a men's basketball coach. Is he okay with that? Fundraising is a big part of his job and he is not exactly wowing anybody...maybe he feels it can't be done here? Maybe he just wants something new? Maybe he is getting heat for cutting sports. Baseball is just playing out the string.
There are a lot of things we don't know about Mr Coyle and Gopher athletics.
PJ and the football season can change the outlook in either direction for Mr Coyle.

Coyle can barely speak in public without breaking out in hives. Not sure how that would've worked at USC

Coyle has found a good place here where his low key style works well in this upper mid-west environment.

I agree with others that USC would be a strange place to go for someone who is a bit more low key style wise. I think USC would be a strange fit and someone with more of a low key style might not be received very well. Culture / style clashes can matter no matter how good anyone is at their job.

In the meantime I've been pleased how Coyle has been doing things. Since he and PJ arrived I haven't had any serious issues with the athletic department. Contrast that with Iowa that has been collecting lawsuits like Pokemon.

Yes but the chili they contain stays.
ok-all.gif

No doubt look at all the ADs Fleck has run off during his time here......let's see....well there was Coyle that hired him.....and ummm......

Top Bottom