Looks like we missed out on RB Marcus Coker

tjgopher

Reaction score
He committed to Iowa today, according to the Washington Post. He visited MN and IA in the same trip recently. He's the guy who Rivals mistakenly reported committed to us earlier this summer.

Well, it's too bad we missed out him, but I'm not that devastated. We didn't really need another 3 star RB. I only wish he hadn't gone to Iowa.

We need defense more then we need more RB's.

This is not a big deal, Kirkwood is a similar style RB and is better. The guy we have to get for this year is Grant (4*), hopefully Brew and Kiese can reel him in when he visits in Sept.

Does Lamonte Edwards project at RB or defense?

Lipscomb will be coming back next year.
Phillips coming in 2011.

I'm not worried about RB. They don't win you championships........recruit defense!

Lipscomb will be coming back next year.

Speaking of this, has anyone heard if he will stick with the U through JC, and if so, will he be required to go to 2 years of JC or can he leave after 1? Thanks.

Speaking of this, has anyone heard if he will stick with the U through JC, and if so, will he be required to go to 2 years of JC or can he leave after 1? Thanks.

I am also interested to know how that whole thing will play out. But about Phillips, he got caught arrested for drugs, is his football future still viable?

Lots of questions in this thread, here are a few comments.

-It's a big deal only in so much as we lost a 2nd prospect to Iowa this year after dominating them in recruiting the last few years. Not a welcome sign.

-We will sign another runningback.

-I haven't heard anything about Phillips getting kicked off his high school team, so I don't think it will affect his football career. But it is premature in general to rely on him as a future member of the team for a variety of reasons.

-Haven't heard anything about Lipscomb but I'm almost positive that you have to complete JC before you are allowed to enter another school, which means two years. If he's smart he'll probably re-examine his options, as we will. Never a good thing to rely on JC players in general, look at Taikwon Paige.

I'm almost positive that you have to complete JC before you are allowed to enter another school.

I feel like I've heard people say both ways, and I know with the baseball team I played on in college we did get a couple guys after 1 year of JC baseball, so has this changed in the past decade? Or maybe it is on a college by college basis? Who knows. Would be nice if someone could answer this for us. Thanks

paul carter only played one year of juco basketball. did he squeeze 60 credits into one year?

regarding JC. It depends on why you're there. If it's because your grades or test scores aren't good enough you must prove your worth by completing your two year. If you are simply short credits of one kind or another and the grades and test scores are fine then you must simply get those credits and need not complete the entire two year degree.

regarding JC. It depends on why you're there. If it's because your grades or test scores aren't good enough you must prove your worth by completing your two year. If you are simply short credits of one kind or another and the grades and test scores are fine then you must simply get those credits and need not complete the entire two year degree.

That makes sense. So I assume if you go to JUCO b/c DI teams aren't high on you out of high school, and you go JUCO to prove your talents, then you can leave after one, which you see more often in baseball, and probably not as much in football. Thanks for clearing that up. Does the clearinghouse decide if you're required to stay there the full 2? I'm sure there are some cases that aren't as clear cut.

There are lots of Juco guys that leave after one year (the Gophers have one in Onwuachi). I'm not sure what the requirements are, but I know there are a lot of D2 schools that offer large scholarships to some Juco guys to entice them away from playing another year and hoping for a D1 offer.

Sucks about Coker. As mentioned by someone else, I just hate that he's going to Iowa, but oh well. Move on. I'm sure we will get our share of guys.

Non Qualifier = Must complete AA to be eligible at DI and DII
Qualifier = Can leave at any time and become immediately eligible

I am also interested to know how that whole thing will play out. But about Phillips, he got caught arrested for drugs, is his football future still viable?

Phillips was cited for what is considered a petty misdemeanor (small amount) in Minnesota. From what I understand the incident wasn't school related, so he should be in the clear. IF he can keep his nose clean from here on out. Two years to go for that.

I think that it is funny how we times have changed. It used to be that we were all giddy over a 3 star recruit, at any position. Now, not so much. It is good to see.

Top Bottom