Looks like Gopher marketing department boycotting this bowl

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
No hype video. No bowl watch party promoted. No promotion to watch the bowl at The Barn before hoops game starts. No coverage on GopherSports about bowl activities (they usually have a story each night from bowl week). No email to season ticket holders about watching the bowl. Very little promotion from the U's social channels.

No hype video. No bowl watch party promoted. No promotion to watch the bowl at The Barn before hoops game starts. No coverage on GopherSports about bowl activities (they usually have a story each night from bowl week). No email to season ticket holders about watching the bowl. Very little promotion from the U's social channels.

So you are wondering why?

Okay...are you wondering why?

No, obviously not. I just thought it was interesting that the U isn't even trying to market this to fans. It's arguably one of the top 2-3 bowls we've been in in decades. It speaks to the toxicity around the program which is a shame to the guys who will take the field.

No, obviously not. I just thought it was interesting that the U isn't even trying to market this to fans. It's arguably one of the top 2-3 bowls we've been in in decades. It speaks to the toxicity around the program which is a shame to the guys who will take the field.

Good insights. The newspapers aren't doing much, either, and - as you say - this is one of the best bowls in a long time.

Saying anything positive about this team publicly is toxic right now. Coach tweets he supports the players boycott and 400 goof balls sign some petition implying he was in favor of sexual assault. You can't win promoting them right now - best not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outside the hardcores there is zero interest. Riding Claeys is a lead balloon.

The way this Bowl is being dealt with by Gopher Marketing is very odd. They clearly are going through the motions and Kaler already decided to fire Claeys, and the sad thing is they probably have zero plan for hiring a great coach to replace him, just "hope", so we are back to "selling hope".

They already cast out ten players, including several who did not deserve this type of harsh punishment, so I am not sure what the point of this PR blackout is. The fans that still support the program and other 100 plus players should not be punished by this deliberate shunning of the Holiday Bowl. The "Bowl Central" site has almost nothing on it. This is not exactly fair to the Band and Spirit Squads either.

I am shocked that Kaler actually attended the Holiday Bowl banquet today, considering what I suspect he is up to.

The adminstration is so fitting for Minnesota, just fickle...do what the mob wants to maintain their jobs. Most Minnesota pick your sport "fans" just ride the hot team. That just strikes me as odd, are you really a fan of all those sports? I bet not. There is a reason that it seems like half the Twin Cities fans are Packer fans with no connection to that state other than a winning team. I don't get that. I hope everyone at some point realizes that you don't throw the baby out with the bath water, there are a lot of good kids/young men on that team that could use our support. Let's not penalize them.

Coach tweets he supports the players boycott and 400 goof balls sign some petition implying he was in favor of sexual assault.

I think it is pretty clear at this point that if you don't, at a minimum, make 'boo hiss' noises every time the Gopher football team does something positive during the bowl, you are advocating for increased rape and sexual violence on campus. Heck, it might mean you are a rapist yourself. Are you sure your wife really wanted to give you that BJ on your birthday and you were not guilting her into it? Are you?....

Here's the promo video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A67lStI6XS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You don't allow players facing likely expulsion and suspension to play in a bowl game in San Diego.

Untrue.

Because anyone with common sense knows Northern Illinois should be the ones "marketing" this bowl game.
I've got an idea. Shut up.

At least MK and EC are consistent. When faced with a tough situation, check which way the wind blows and just drift with it. Don't be decisive. Don't show any leadership. Just make sure that when you come out the other side you can spin your own personal PR in the best way possible.

It's sad, but hunkering down is the right thing to do. With a public that more than ever basing their anger based on headlines and the leading statements of others, you're best to be quiet because as fast as these storms blow in they blow out.

Maximus-- I believe you indicated you'd like the Gophers to get beat 100 to 0.
Just curious as to why you still post here. I think everyone who is even a semi-regular viewer of the Gopher Hole understands your point of view.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom