Lincoln Journal Star: Gator Bowl air charter canceled because of low interest

I'm not sure that is true. Our game last year had a better rating than the BWW Bowl and Gator Bowl. It was the 12th rated bowl game overall.

If ratings were the most important thing, they would spread out the top bowls a lot more. The Gator, Outback, and BWW Bowls are all at the same time this year once again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the BWW Bowl is being played on Dec 28

Those sponsors don't pay big dollars to be seen by the mere 60000 or so in the stadium. They pay to be seen by millions on television.

More people will watch a game in primetime when it's the only game on, than wake up at 11 with a hangover and when there's five other games going on at the same time and even better one's later in the day. The Texas bowl will have decent ratings, but they won't sell the tix they did last year, will probably bring similar numbers, if not more, but they'll be a huge drop off from Cuse compared to Lubbock Community College

I wonder if Jim Delaney went to bat for Minnesota like the ACC Commissioner did for Duke and Syracuse?

doubt it. Were the UM that doesn't end with ichigan. Of course scUM got picked ahead of us because delaney needs his marquee brands in the bigger bowls. They are going to get slaughtered.

doubt it. Were the UM that doesn't end with ichigan. Of course scUM got picked ahead of us because delaney needs his marquee brands in the bigger bowls. They are going to get slaughtered.
If the Walmart Wolverines play like they did against OSU, they should win. I can't see them being slaughtered by K State.

Awesome email I received from Creative Charters:

"BOWL UPDATE
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA ALUMNI
OFFICIAL BOWL TOUR

2ND CHARTER AIRCRAFT FLIGHT ADDED
MAROON TRIP ITINERARY
DEPART DEC 26 6AM RETURN DEC 28 7PM
see web site www.creativecharter.com for details

Nebraska canceled their only flight to the Gator Bowl.

The Minnesota Golden Gopher Fans are going to fill two aircraft...what a statement to future BOWL COMMITTEES.

Have you heard this one before?
“only if we traveled we would get a better bid”

This year is when the rubber meets the road
Minnesota Gophers 2 Nebraska Cornhuskers 0

We beat them on the field and beat them in the Air.
If you haven’t jumped on board, please consider the MAROON TOUR................ it will make a difference.

GO GOPHERS
Steve Erban"

Actually, the bowl committee's have a major responsibility to the local chamber of commerce's. There is huge pressure for these bowl's to sell Hotel rooms, fill restaurants, pack bars, sell merchandise and travel tickets. It brings in millions upon millions to the local economies. TV money does none of that. There is a symbiotic relationship between the Bowl's and cities in which they are hosted. The matchups are chosen based on fan attendance whenever possible.

I'm kind of puzzled by who goes to these bowls, aside from the local population within driving distance. I've been to one bowl game in my lifetime, and probably never will again. They were a big deal 30-40 years ago, but don't mean much today. You're going to spend your annual vacation at a non-home football game instead of visiting grandma for the holidays? Also, with no home game atmosphere and no rivalry implications and no conference championship implications, lower tier bowl games just aren't very interesting games.

Anyhow, when it comes to a tussle between the local Chamber of Commerce and a national TV network, I'm going to bet on the TV dollars $$$$$$$$$$$.

2012 ratings: Nebraska-Georgia 6.6 , Minnesota-TexTech 2.9

You are comparing the Capital One Bowl with the Texas Bowl. The real comparison should be the 2012 Texas Bowl vs. the 2012 Gator Bowl.

Texas: 2.9
Gator: 1.4

Use relevant numbers.

You are comparing the Capital One Bowl with the Texas Bowl. The real comparison should be the 2012 Texas Bowl vs. the 2012 Gator Bowl.

Use relevant numbers.

This year since the Gator Bowl will have the same match-up as last year's Capital One Bowl, but the Texas Bowl will still be without competition, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Use relevant numbers.

How is last year's gator bowl number "relevant" when Nebraska wasn't in that game?

This year since the Gator Bowl will have the same match-up as last year's Outback Bowl, but the Texas Bowl will still be without competition, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

The outback bowl was south carolina-michigan. You guys are confusing.

How is last year's gator bowl number "relevant" when Nebraska wasn't in that game?

Because two higher profile games are being played at the same exact time. Very relevant. The Gator Bowl will not exceed the Texas Bowl ratings which is unopposed. Keep in mind.......Georgia/Nebraska is going to be on ESPN2 this year......as opposed to ABC. To use the 6.6 rating is to ignore reality.

When has Jim Delaney ever done anything that benefits Minnesota directly?

I wonder if Jim Delaney went to bat for Minnesota like the ACC Commissioner did for Duke and Syracuse?

You could not find Jim Delaney with a search light unless it meant lobbying for Michigan or Ohio State and that is about it.

Because two higher profile games are being played at the same exact time. Very relevant. The Gator Bowl will not exceed the Texas Bowl ratings which is unopposed. Keep in mind.......Georgia/Nebraska is going to be on ESPN2 this year......as opposed to ABC. To use the 6.6 rating is to ignore reality.

Look, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. The question is which team brings in more TV viewers. The bottom line is that right now Minnesota just won't bring in more viewers than Nebraska or Michigan. That's the #1 factor the selection is based on when the competition is even. It's ALL about how many eyeballs are watching the advertisements. When the Gophs manage to reach that level of big-name national interest again they'll get the better invite and we'll all be doing the happy dance. Win a couple of conference championships and all the rest will fall into place.

Reading the Syracuse blogs it seems outlandish to read that some of their fans think that the Gophers won't provide much of problem let alone that they could lose to them.

Thinking that Minnesota would bring more fans to the Gator Bowl than Nebraska this season is not "outlandish" it's actually pretty logical. Thinking that a MN/GA match-up will bring as many or more TV viewers than a Husker/Bulldog match-up while not outlandish is probably pretty close to it.

The Gophers and Georgia? You.forget the North against the South angle. It was certainly there against Alabama in the Music City Bowl. Alabama brought 35-40,000 fans even after a 6 win season. The place would've been rocking.

Look, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. The question is which team brings in more TV viewers. The bottom line is that right now Minnesota just won't bring in more viewers than Nebraska or Michigan. That's the #1 factor the selection is based on when the competition is even. It's ALL about how many eyeballs are watching the advertisements. When the Gophs manage to reach that level of big-name national interest again they'll get the better invite and we'll all be doing the happy dance. Win a couple of conference championships and all the rest will fall into place.

I'm not the one who originally used previous year ratings to compare the matchups, despite the fact that one matchup dropped from ABC to ESPN2, and is now the third best matchup during that time frame.

We beat Nebraska. How exactly do you know that the Gophers wouldn't bring in more viewers. Since the Gator Bowl starts an hour prior to the other bowl games, chances are that quite a few people will be watching for that first hour. Does Nebraska keep the game more interesting than the Gophers? Who is more competitive? If a Bulldogs/Gophers game is tied halfway through the second quarter......would that still garner less attention than Nebraska losing by ten to the Bulldogs?

We already know about the Nebraska charter flight being canceled due to lack of interest, while the Gophers booked a second. I cannot imagine that a trip to the Gator Bowl would have decreased that interest. So I'm interested.....what makes you think that, considering current conditions, the Gator Bowl committee still made the correct choice?

That's not the question. You stated that the bowl games care more about TV ratings than anything, and that is why they took Nebraska over us. The point is if TV ratings were the main thing, why do they put three fairly popular bowls that involve three teams from the same conference all at the same time? The Gator Bowl has had worse ratings than the Texas Bowl by a pretty good margin the past few years. I guarantee our game will have much higher ratings than the Gator Bowl this year.

The ratings are most important to the networks. Getting fans in the stadium and purchasing hotel rooms, eating out, buying gas, etc. is the goal of the bowls themselves.

That's not the question. You stated that the bowl games care more about TV ratings than anything, and that is why they took Nebraska over us. The point is if TV ratings were the main thing, why do they put three fairly popular bowls that involve three teams from the same conference all at the same time? The Gator Bowl has had worse ratings than the Texas Bowl by a pretty good margin the past few years. I guarantee our game will have much higher ratings than the Gator Bowl this year.

The ratings are most important to the networks. Getting fans in the stadium and purchasing hotel rooms, eating out, buying gas, etc. is the goal of the bowls themselves.
I think the goals of a lot of bowls is to make some cash and wine and dine important people. Mits a money grab plain and simple IMO

Bowls select teams based on a teams ability to fill hotel rooms, restaurants, and seats in the stadium. The bowl (at least the non-majors) is a attempt to gain tourism by the city. The city doesn't care much about TV ratings.

Hopefully the Gophers can send 4000 fans to Houston and fill some hotels and restaurants, that will help to prevent us from being passed over in the future.

FWIW...full disclosure I'm a proud Gopher Alum living in Houston. Houston has much more going on than Jacksonville. Excellent variety of restaurants, plenty of places for libations, (weather will be a draw vs Jax), Houston is a good town to party in. Its not quite the cowboy town that the national media often portrays us as. Our employment base is energy, the largest medical center in the world, and NASA. Not bad for high paying jobs (read lots of disposable income for restaurants etc.). C'mon down and get your drink on!!!

You could not find Jim Delaney with a search light unless it meant lobbying for Michigan or Ohio State and that is about it.

What is wearing today???
thumb.aspx
il_570xN.508073952_1kda.jpg

Top Bottom