Limit Harris...shut down Sims= easy gopher win!

akoch6767

Reaction score
Put in the zone as we did in Illinois. Have the twin towers down low...Sampson in the middle. Force Harris to shoot from the outside rather than letting him slash to the cup...Force Harris to pass to other Michigan ungodly poor shooters. Limit Sims touches by having RS3 harass him with his long arms.

All of this will equal a Gopher 20 point win my friends! Lets git er done!

Sims was an absolute monster in the 2nd half at the barn. The team lacks someone with the strength to contend with him inside. The zone is probably a good idea, but Michigan got really hot from 3 point land (especially by their standards) in the first match up. I am worried about this game because the Gophers have played some of their worst games the past 2 years against Michigan.

It's all about containing Sims he has a big game, I think we're screwed, limit him, pressure Manny and we'll be fine.

This one is going to be decided at the three point line. Defend the three well and we'll win. Don't and we'll lose.

I would rather put Iverson on Simms than Sampson. Iverson is a bit stronger, a bit more physical and we will be okay if he gets into foul trouble. Simms is not your a-typical Big 10 PF/C. He will settle for jumpers, and I am just fine with that. If all Simms does is shoot 15 footers all day, we will be fine.

Sims had close to 20 points off of layups when they played us here. That cannot happen. Sure, he's strong and physical, even if he settles for a lot of jumpers, so hopefully the zone will slow him down... more importantly though, it was Harris probing the defense and dishing off to him that caused all of the layups. We need to make life harder on Harris. That in turn, will make it tougher for Sims. I think if we just stay in front of Sims and limit his layups while focusing on slowing down Harris, we'll be alright.

That having been said, Michigan has seemed to have our number for the last 3 times we've played, so hopefully we can put an end to that.. but this is far from an easy game. And it's one that we desperately need.. a loss most likely kills any chance at the tournament.

So limit Harris's penetration and Sims' easy looks and I think we'll be alright. I think our recent zone can do that, I just hope that Michigan doesn't rain 3's on us like they have the last 3 times we've played. They're really not that good a shooting team, they just always seem to get hot against us.

Iverson is better in the middle of the zone. He is almost as good of a shotblocker as RS3 but he has slow feet. Iverson has trouble making it to the three pt shooters on the wing. Sampson can get there.

Somehow I don't think "easy" will come into the equation when we play the Wolverines on Tuesday. Easy is not a word I'd associate with this year's Gophers. I expect a dogfight in Ann Arbor; this time I hope we finish better than we did at Illinois. The Gophs certainly can't play any worse or with less effort than we did the 1st time vs. Michigan.

I have a terrible feeling that Stu Douglas will finally break out of his season-long Sophomore funk tomorrow night.

We also don't need unecessary outside shots from Zach Gibson to randomly fall like they did @ Williams.

Top Bottom