Liam Robbins will play in the NBA

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
With how much he's progressed in just two seasons, there is no doubt in my mind that Robbins will get drafted and play in the NBA.

He's a legit 7 footer with the frame to get stronger, is great around the basket on offense and defense, and has a nice looking outside shot that will only get better.

Maybe. He's pretty darn good now and he has another season left to show what he can do before he leaves.

The NBA loves guys who can protect the rim. Also....big guys with a little bit of range is a plus.

With how much he's progressed in just two seasons, there is no doubt in my mind that Robbins will get drafted and play in the NBA.

He's a legit 7 footer with the frame to get stronger, is great around the basket on offense and defense, and has a nice looking outside shot that will only get better.

He's a worker; to lose all the weight he from High School to college is amazing and look forward to him adding some more muscle for next year

Last edited:

He's a perfect 5 for the modern NBA. He can contest shots by the goal, he's athletic enough to play the pick-n-roll, he can rebound and he's somewhat skilled. His biggest improvement has been that he isn't "block chasing". Early in the year he was going after so many blocks it would take him out of position and got him into foul trouble. He'll play in the NBA. . . sooner rather than later.

A big man who can shoot, play defense and knock down free throws.

I'm not a big NBA guy, but that seems like a good combination.

It is interesting to think if the team would be better if it didn’t have Robbins but did have Oturu

It is interesting to think if the team would be better if it didn’t have Robbins but did have Oturu

Oturu would be better than Robbins and the team would be better with him. However, Robbins is a helluva backup plan. Well done by coaching staff to get him here. He’d help nearly every team in the country.

Oturu would be better than Robbins and the team would be better with him. However, Robbins is a helluva backup plan. Well done by coaching staff to get him here. He’d help nearly every team in the country.
Looks like Pitino and staff are pretty good at developing big men. Please take note Chet.

Selfishly I hope he sticks around another year but if he keeps playing the way he's been playing...

He's a perfect 5 for the modern NBA. He can contest shots by the goal, he's athletic enough to play the pick-n-roll, he can rebound and he's somewhat skilled. His biggest improvement has been that he isn't "block chasing". Early in the year he was going after so many blocks it would take him out of position and got him into foul trouble. He'll play in the NBA. . . sooner rather than later.
Disagree. Robbins is the perfect big for the NBA 20-30 years ago (along with Dickinson and Garza).

Bigs like Kofi Cockburn, Jalen Smith, Udoka Azubuike and Xavier Tillman are what the NBA likes now. Guys that run the court, catch lobs and are elite finishers or guys that can guard on the perimeter and you don’t need to run a play for them.

That’s not really Liam’s game. He struggled badly on the perimeter against UND, isn’t an above the rim elite finisher and I don’t see his shot blocking ability translating to the NBA due to his lack of athleticism (for NBA standards).

Many mocks don’t have Garza getting drafted, Cockburn and Jackson-Davis weren’t projected to get drafted last year and Oturu and Tillman weren’t even first round picks. Isaac Haas is another guy that went undrafted. And all of those guys are either better players and/or fit the modern NBA big role better.

I see Liam as a good traditional college center that doesn’t have the athleticism or skill set that the modern NBA covets. He maybe has a chance to sign a two way deal eventually but I think he is more of a G-league player. Reminds me of John Teske at Michigan.

Last edited:

Selfishly I hope he sticks around another year but if he keeps playing the way he's been playing...

Needs to put on muscle. He still gets backed down way to easily by thicker guys. I don't think we have to worry yet.

Needs to put on muscle. He still gets backed down way to easily by thicker guys. I don't think we have to worry yet.
Definitely not worried either. He may test the waters but no way he actually goes unless he wants to be a G-league or overseas guy. And considering his uncle and cousin are both on the team, I think Liam is a guy that will stay in college all of his years unless he has a chance at life changing NBA money which I don't think he will, not a guy that will leave for the first sniff at a pro contract that can't wait to get out of college IMO.

Disagree. Robbins is the perfect big for the NBA 20-30 years ago (along with Dickinson and Garza).

Bigs like Kofi Cockburn, Jalen Smith, Udoka Azubuike and Xavier Tillman are what the NBA likes now. Guys that run the court, catch lobs and are elite finishers or guys that can guard on the perimeter and you don’t need to run a play for them.

That’s not really Liam’s game. He struggled badly on the perimeter against UND, isn’t an above the rim elite finisher and I don’t see his shot blocking ability translating to the NBA due to his lack of athleticism (for NBA standards).

Many mocks don’t have Garza getting drafted, Cockburn and Jackson-Davis weren’t projected to get drafted last year and Oturu and Tillman weren’t even first round picks. Isaac Haas is another guy that went undrafted. And all of those guys are either better players and/or fit the modern NBA big role better.

I see Liam as a good traditional college center that doesn’t have the athleticism or skill set that the modern NBA covets. He maybe has a chance to sign a two way deal eventually but I think he is more of a G-league player. Reminds me of John Teske at Michigan.

Kofi Cockburn would have gone undrafted. He can’t shoot. At all. He has no place in an NBA rotation.

Kofi Cockburn would have gone undrafted. He can’t shoot. At all. He has no place in an NBA rotation.
You don't have to shoot to be a rotational center in the NBA. You have to run the floor well, rebound well, be a rim protector, catch lobs and ideally be an above the rim finisher. Udoka Azibuike never shot 50% from the FT line in 4 years and never attempted a single 3 and he ended up being a first round pick this year.

Cockburn either does all of those things better than Liam or in the case of rim protection, has a higher ceiling than Liam at that. IMO I think Cockburn may be the best NBA prospect in the Big Ten this year. He is a monster. I know it's definitely unlikely but I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility that he develops into a Rudy Gobert/ Deandre Jordan/ Andre Drummond caliber big in the NBA. He certainly has the elite size, strength and athleticism to be an elite level role player at the next level.

Robbins is rapidly improving and his most significant weaknesses are correctable. He struggles with his dribble getting too high and too far away from his body when bullying into position on the low post; he doesn't alway fully gather himself when shooting around the rim; and he can become a much better rebounder and defender. The core game is there though and he has imposing size.

You don't have to shoot to be a rotational center in the NBA. You have to run the floor well, rebound well, be a rim protector, catch lobs and ideally be an above the rim finisher. Udoka Azibuike never shot 50% from the FT line in 4 years and never attempted a single 3 and he ended up being a first round pick this year.

Cockburn either does all of those things better than Liam or in the case of rim protection, has a higher ceiling than Liam at that. IMO I think Cockburn may be the best NBA prospect in the Big Ten this year. He is a monster. I know it's definitely unlikely but I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility that he develops into a Rudy Gobert/ Deandre Jordan/ Andre Drummond caliber big in the NBA. He certainly has the elite size, strength and athleticism to be an elite level role player at the next level.

I don't see Cockburn being an impact NBA player. He would likely get drafted in 2021 though.

Top Bottom