Lexington Herald: Minnesota fired Tubby Smith for this?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per John Clay's column in the Lexington Herald:

▪ If you think Rick Pitino has had a rough year off the court, what about his son Richard Pitino on the court? The Minnesota coach saw his team drop to 6-11 overall and 0-5 in the Big Ten with an 84-59 loss at Nebraska on Tuesday night. That came three days after the Golden Gophers were pounded 77-52 at home by Northwestern on Saturday.

Minnesota fired Tubby Smith for this?

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/john-clay/article54534215.html

Go Gophers!!

I can't stand these type of takes. The firing of Tubby and hiring of Pitino are two different things. Pitino's struggles doesn't change what Tubby did or didn't do at Minnesota.

If a company fires a salesman because he was only hitting 50% of his goal every year and hires a replacement who then only hits 30% of his sales goal, does that mean the first guy shouldn't have been fired? No, it means you messed up hiring the second guy.

(edited)

If a company fires a salesman because he was only hitting 50% of his goal every year and hires a replacement who then only hits 30% of his sales goal, does that mean the first guy shouldn't have been fired? No, it means you messed up hiring the second guy.

If you screwed up hiring the 2nd guy, doesn't that mean you need a new hiring manager and a 3rd sales hire?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Seems to me the Gophers centers are nowhere near Big Ten caliber. Non-existent. Will never win in Big that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you screwed up hiring the 2nd guy, doesn't that mean you need a new hiring manager and a 3rd sales hire?

Yes and yes. I'm talking about the comment about Tubby.

Yes and yes. I'm talking about the comment about Tubby.
Well, I'm swaying to we need a new hiring manager, er AD, before we hire a new coach.

I can't stand these type of takes. The firing of Tubby and hiring of Pitino are two different things. Pitino's struggles doesn't change what Tubby did or didn't do at Minnesota.

...and messed up hiring the guy who hired the second guy.

Same here.

Logic 101 at it's worst.

This story is spot on. Should've fired Tubby for Billy Gillispie.

Well Kentucky was more than willing to let tubby walk so they could hire one Billy Gillispie. Pot calling the kettle black

and if the performance problems keep happening, at some point its not a salesman (player) issue, its a company issue. borrowing from rwe: a foolish consistency

seems our U hasn't figured things out since about the 1920s

and if the performance problems keep happening, at some point its not a salesman (player) issue, its a company issue. borrowing from rwe: a foolish consistency

seems our U hasn't figured things out since about the 1920s
No kidding.

Top Bottom