Let's Revisit These Targeting Calls

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/gophers-coaches-scrutinize-six-targeting-calls/400550931/

On Celestin: Sawvel: “You hit a late-slide quarterback. To me, that’s a bunch of crap. That’s what that is because in the NFL. Yeah, you can’t hit Tom Brady but everybody knows that Tom Brady is going to slide. In college these guys run for 650, 700 or a thousand yards a year — quarterback. You don’t know if that guy is going to slide or keep running. How is he defenseless? I don’t understand that.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If we don't accept them (or mediocrity) does that mean they'll change?

Some of these plays I can't understand how when they review them they still call targeting. Some are obvious targeting but others once viewed on replay they obviously aren't to me. They need to change the rule so there is a personal foul option and an option where the player gets ejected.

Wonder if Sawvel will be facing a fine for this story as usually it is a no-no to talk about calls but it is some great insight. For the most part I agree, I think the calls against Devers, Poock, and Lynn were correct. The Celistin call was right in terms of how the rule is written but it is a very clear example of why the rule needs to be revised. Yes it was a blow to the head but it was not intentional and there was really nothing he could have done to avoid it. He went in low, it just happened that due to the late slide the QB's head ended up in the same area. Throw a flag if you have to in that situation but shouldn't be an ejection.

The Rallis call was just bad. No way that one should have been targeting. He leads with his shoulder and is clearly trying to avoid hitting the player in the head, really amazed that one was upheld and it is a shame that Rallis has to sit for half the game next week due to a bogus call.

I assume this rule will be a major point of discussion during the off season. The spirit of the rule is in the right place but there needs to be some allowance for common sense to enter the equation and intent to be evaluated. Usually it is pretty easy to tell when a guy is head hunting or going for a "kill shot". The auto ejection needs to go away.

Not targeting

Inconsistency in enforcement across the different leagues is definitely something that needs to be addressed. But as with any call that is tough because things are so subjective and based on what the official sees. Still we have seen plenty of examples like the one above of clear targeting that goes uncalled.

Inconsistency in enforcement across the different leagues is definitely something that needs to be addressed. But as with any call that is tough because things are so subjective and based on what the official sees. Still we have seen plenty of examples like the one above of clear targeting that goes uncalled.

And that is why I dislike the automatic ejection.

They need to just change the rule so that there is no automatic ejection, but ejection can be added later by the league or NCAA. I've seen this done in hockey and it seems to work fine.

That Notre Dame play is a foul in the NFL as well. The inconsistency is the problem, not the rule. If it was ruled consistently players would change what they are doing faster. A player sees the Notre Dame play and thinks that is ok, then gets ejected for a similar or lesser hit. Having officials governed by conference and not the NCAA leads to these issues.

When Rallis says he lowered his head to avoid contact, Sawvel should have responded with keep your head up. Keep your head up, lower your target, or play the ball.

I do agree with Sawvel on the QB plays. You can't just expect or trust the QB will slide. This is what gets Cam Newton in trouble every week in the NFL. He has different capabilities than a pocket passer.

And that is why I dislike the automatic ejection.
1000 times this.

If an official misses a 15 yard penalty call either direction, it has a large impact on the game.

To eject a player or to cause a player to miss the next game on a very subjective call is ridiculous.

High school football refs are much more rational with these calls.

i have no problem with more 15 yard penalties being called. For the sake of safety, call extra or make them 20 yards. But don't eject a kid because a wideout ducks .2 seconds before contact

They need to just change the rule so that there is no automatic ejection, but ejection can be added later by the league or NCAA. I've seen this done in hockey and it seems to work fine.
Word

Top Bottom