Leo Rautins disagrees with Marcus on what schools are best for NBA aspirations

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Rautins disputes Fuller's claims that it would be best for Cory to go to Nova or Texas if he wants to get to the NBA quicker as Rautins says scouts will find you anywhere.

Former Gopher Rautins talks Cory Joseph and more
By Marcus Fuller

Former Gophers player and current Canadian senior national team coach Leo Rautins shared his thoughts this week about the recruitment of one of his country's most promising young players, Cory Joseph.

Rautins, who played for the Gophers for one season in 1978-79, has been an advisor for the Joseph family during the recruiting process. He said Connie Joseph, the mother of Cory and Devoe, a Minnesota sophomore guard, told him the Gophers are still in the mix.

But Rautins doesn't know whether Cory is favoring any of the five schools on his list. He said Joseph is focused on getting to the NBA. Texas and Villanova would appear to be the two best programs to get him there quickly. But Rautins doesn't necessarily agree.

"I think today it doesn't matter," said the Toronto Raptors radio analyst. "Years ago, you would want to go to one of the elite programs or one of the teams that's hot now. But the game is scouted globally today. It really doesn't matter anymore. If you're ready to go, then people are going to be looking at you. People are going to give you that opportunity. I know that it's something that (Cory) is keen on trying to accomplish."

Even if the Gophers don't sign Cory, Rautins said he likes what they have done by bringing in talented Canadian players Devoe Joseph and center Mo Walker, who signed Wednesday. Devoe tried out for the senior national team out of high school. Walker played with the junior national team two years ago.

"Regardless, I think with Devoe and the potential of Mo that Minnesota is doing OK with those two guys," he said. "Mo is a big fella. If he works really hard and is professional about his body, then he can be really good."

Devoe wasn't able to try out for the national team last year because he needed to attend summer school. But Rautins said Gophers coaches told him Devoe would be able to play this year. Rautins invited Devoe, Cory and Cory's high school teammate, Tristan Thompson, to play on a developmental team that will tour Europe in July.

The top players on the developmental team, which includes high school, college and pro level players, could join the senior team in competition at any time this summer, Rautins said.

"To give these guys a taste is very good," he said. "It's a much more physical, much more aggressive game (internationally). Players are pretty savvy and pretty smart. You have to take your game to a different level."

Rautins said he would play Devoe Joseph primarily as a point guard. He will also play shooting guard, but only as a backup, for the Canadian team.

"It's also good for coach Tubby (Smith) and Minnesota that he continues to develop at that position," he said.

-- I haven't heard much about exactly when Cory will decide on his college choice, only that it will probably be sometime next week. Las Vegas Review Journal reporter Matt Youmans, who covers Nevada-Las Vegas, has followed Cory as well as anyone. He said members of the Joseph family are lobbying for Cory to play closer to home. That would mean Villanova. Philadelphia, where Villanova is located, is about eight hours away from Toronto, Ontario. I know it's really not anything new, but not much is at this point.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/04/former-gopher-rautins-talks-co.html

Go Gophers!!

Last I checked...a flight from Toronto to MPLS takes less than 8 hours. More garbage speculation at the end.... IF Cobbs stays, Cory signs and Tubby signs an extension I think Marcus and Myron need to find new lines of work...

Rouser

Last I checked...a flight from Toronto to MPLS takes less than 8 hours. More garbage speculation at the end.... IF Cobbs stays, Cory signs and Tubby signs an extension I think Marcus and Myron need to find new lines of work...

I agree with you.

Heck, if the family is concerned about how far it is to see Devoe and Cory it makes more sense to have them on the SAME team !!

One trip = both sons.

Duh.

Go Gophers.

:clap::clap::clap:

Travel Time Austin vs Msp

OK - let travel time from Toronto be the tie breaker between Minnesota and Texas.

Per Orbitz
1. Toronto to Msp
$700, 2 hr 10 min direct flight

2. Toronto to Austin
$600, 5 hr 40 min (no direct flights, I think Austin is not an international airport).

Phil is closer, but Devoe and/or Tristan are not there.

He said members of the Joseph family are lobbying for Cory to play closer to home. That would mean Villanova. Philadelphia, where Villanova is located, is about eight hours away from Toronto, Ontario.

I always thought we had the edge with his family, guess thats not entirely true. I would think a plane ride to see both play is better, but an 8 hour drive isn't terrible.

This is good news.

Rautins is a huge influence on these guys. The last few years, especially since Nash has been such a supporter, the national team has been pretty prominent.

I think Rautins would like a program for all these guys to play together at. Hopefully it is Minnesota.

Top Bottom