Lemmings show on 2/3

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I would definitely not be called a recruitnik. Ten years ago, I used to love getting the newspaper after signing day, because unless Sid wrote about it, it was a surprise as to who were our new Gophers. The "Rick" kind of spoiled it for me. I didn't like his song and dance at all with his switcheroo of the hat. Sure, at the time I was glad he picked the Gophers, but I thought it was major grandstanding and I would have been po'ed if I were a Arizona fan. I guess karma got the "Rick".
With all the restrictions the NCAA has, how is Tom Lemming able to be able to have SH get an all expenses paid trip to NYC? Doesn't he still have school obligations? If SH picks the Gophers, many Gopher fans will be happy. If he chooses someone else, many are going to get ready to give him the internet business. Other than Lemming and his show, how does this benefit an 17 or 18 year old kid?

+1

It just reinforces to these kids how 'important' they are.

I agree. However, he's the #1 recruit in the country. Most any college FB show would want to have him on. It benefits Seantrel by making him more known. The NFL draft is still a hype machine along with the measurables. It's a smart move on his part.

Plus, what kid wouldnt want to take a trip to NYC. When I was his age, I got excited to miss school to go to Minneapolis.

I agree. However, he's the #1 recruit in the country. Most any college FB show would want to have him on. It benefits Seantrel by making him more known. The NFL draft is still a hype machine along with the measurables. It's a smart move on his part.

True but the NFL is a professional sport whereas college football is and amateur sport. Well kind of.

True but the NFL is a professional sport whereas college football is and amateur sport. Well kind of.

You're naive if you think that SH is only thinking of the next 4 years. With his god given talents, he SHOULD be thinking about what is beyond college and what school is going to best get him there.

1) It's about publicity and/or ego, and he's investing in his future with his eyes set on the NFL (and likely OSU or USC before that).

or

2) It's about making a statement and investing in his community, trying to get Minnesota national attention prior to committing here (homer-esque I know, but possible).

You're naive if you think that SH is only thinking of the next 4 years. With his god given talents, he SHOULD be thinking about what is beyond college and what school is going to best get him there.

I was referring to the system not the player.

However if he picks the Gophers then it's a good system. I don't have to be objective all the time.

I was referring to the system not the player.

However if he picks the Gophers then it's a good system. I don't have to be objective all the time.

A system that elevates a HS player to this level is messed up. However, I'm not going to blame the kid for being smart enough to play the system in a savvy manner.

A system that elevates a HS player to this level is messed up. However, I'm not going to blame the kid for being smart enough to play the system in a savvy manner.

I would have to agree with that. SH seems to be a pretty level headed young man and handling the process in a classy manner.

I don't get the NFL slant. It's different with basketball, but with football you have three years to prove yourself on the field before you can enter the draft. Any recruiting hype is long forgotten by then and the on field play and the physical and mental improvements is what the pros will use. It has yet to be proven the college choice (as long as it's a competent program) has any bearing on when or if a player gets drafted. If the Heisman Trophy can't guarantee you get picked in the first round, how you announced your college choice won't either.

I don't get the NFL slant. It's different with basketball, but with football you have three years to prove yourself on the field before you can enter the draft. Any recruiting hype is long forgotten by then and the on field play and the physical and mental improvements is what the pros will use. It has yet to be proven the college choice (as long as it's a competent program) has any bearing on when or if a player gets drafted. If the Heisman Trophy can't guarantee you get picked in the first round, how you announced your college choice won't either.

It's not that easy for an OT to get noticed. This is a good chance to get on peoples' radar.

What time is SH making his announcement anyways?

Top Bottom