Legendary MLB Pitcher Don Sutton Has Passed Away

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Legendary MLB Pitcher Don Sutton Has Passed Away (aol.com)

Sutton was one of the best and most durable players to ever step on the mound. He spent his 23-year career with five different teams, with the bulk of his playing days coming with the Dodgers. Throughout that lengthy span, Sutton won 324 games, 58 of them shutouts, and tallied 3,574 strikeouts, ranking seventh on the all-time list.

Man, I love watching him hurl; IMO, he was a precursor to Greg Maddox/Brad Radke etc....guy who understood the guy and could pitch, vs. a thrower. (love those guys). I can only imagine what he could accomplish in this day and age with advance training and scouting.

1611098547344.png

RIP
What a career.
324 wins with one 20 win season. That is some durability.

Forever a brewer.
Sorry but Mr. Shutout is a Dodger. RIP to another favorite of mine.
Sutton pitched more innings and won more games in a Dodgers uniform than anyone else. Kind of crazy when you think about the many greats they have had.

Last edited:

Sorry but Mr. Shutout is a Dodger. RIP to another favorite of mine.
Sutton pitched more innings and won more games in a Dodgers uniform than anyone else. Kind of crazy when you think about the many greats they have had.

I loved the Dodgers team in that era. I remember they used to have the rookie of the year every other year or so - amazing farm system.

A random Don Sutton memory for me, goes back to the Cactus League in 1983. He was pitching for the Brewers and facing long time Dodger teammate Ron Cey, who had moved to the Cubs. For one of the pitches, he actually chucked an orange instead of a baseball. Hilarity ensued.

A random Don Sutton memory for me, goes back to the Cactus League in 1983. He was pitching for the Brewers and facing long time Dodger teammate Ron Cey, who had moved to the Cubs. For one of the pitches, he actually chucked an orange instead of a baseball. Hilarity ensued.

How cool....

Thank God Brian McCann wasn't there to decry it violating the 'underwritten rules of baseball."

How cool....

Thank God Brian McCann wasn't there to decry it violating the 'underwritten rules of baseball."

The whole spring training thing back then was really cool, really laid back. This was at the Cubs' Ho Ho Kam Park in Mesa, and it was jam packed. I also remember the pitchers running wind sprints on the warning track while the game was going on and while Harry was was pretty new as the voice of the Cubs, everyone still went nuts during the 7th inning stretch.

The whole spring training thing back then was really cool, really laid back. This was at the Cubs' Ho Ho Kam Park in Mesa, and it was jam packed. I also remember the pitchers running wind sprints on the warning track while the game was going on and while Harry was was pretty new as the voice of the Cubs, everyone still went nuts during the 7th inning stretch.

What a great experience, back before the math took over - which I find annoying sometimes.

Top Bottom