Leaning towards Al Golden

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
Living in Philly and having many friends that graduated from and follow Temple football, I have a little different perspective on Al Golden. That said, everything I hear and see about this guy screams winner.

He is extremely well like by the players, fans and admin. He is recruiting and winning at a program that was considered by most to be the worst in D-1. He understands O and D, can recruit against the tide and is very organized, determined and disciplined.

His players stay out of jail, graduate and play hard for him.

He fits the MN model for character, style of play and he is young and Mn is an upgrade for him. He played at Penn St. and in the NFL and was the DC at VA for 5 years before going to Temple.

Only draw back...he just signed a new deal with a reportedly $2 mil buy out...will the U spend the $$$?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Golden_(American_football)

http://www.algolden.net/bio.html

I love the fact that he did it in a Major Market. No it cann't be done because of the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers. His defensive background, and discipline style is exactly what we need. He is a top 3 candidate, maybe number 1.

Golden is at the top of my list. He hits all the right notes.

I love the fact that he did it in a Major Market. No it cann't be done because of the Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers. His defensive background, and discipline style is exactly what we need. He is a top 3 candidate, maybe number 1.

Golden has done a great job, but keep in mind Temple is in the MAC. Totally different.

The point about the buyout is valid. I believe the U will target Belotti, Fullmer, Frazier, Tressel and possibly Leach first for that reason.

He is in my top 3 with Leach and Frazier.

The U will never hire Leach....too much baggage-right or wrong
Frazier.............I think the U wants to go the college route.
Golden..............I'm liking more and more all the time.

The U will never hire Leach....too much baggage-right or wrong
Frazier.............I think the U wants to go the college route.
Golden..............I'm liking more and more all the time.

Leach....u r probably right, but I think he would energize the program like no other candidate.
Frazier....don't underestimate Dungys pull.
Golden....I would support it, whole heartedly.

I would love for Al Golden to come here.

But will he? I think he would, but the talk on the board is that he is waiting for that Penn State Job.

But I would think that Penn State has their coach to be waiting as a coordinator, just like Jimbo Fischer down in Florida State. Fischer ran that team for many years, Bowden was just a figure head. Lets be honest, Paterno is just a figure head at this point, so someone is running that team. Hopefully that is enough to make Golden want this job and not risk waiting on the Penn State one.

If The Powers That Be...

Think that Golden is the man...then pony up the money and buy out his contract and give him a substantial raise to come here.

Maybe Golden, CAN resurrect this program, bring in more football revenue and help to pay off the Jimmy Williams lawsuit bill when the U of M loses their final appeal!

Way to be J-Mat...you screwed up that hiring situation too!

Has to be a top choice.

I am not sure where I stand with Golden. I think he is a good option but I think one has to temper excitement when looking at guys who have developed a team like Temple. He has done a great job but it is not in a major conference and the competition though strong is not on the same level as the Big Ten or any major conference.

Just because he has done a good job recruiting for that level and has developed a program he has yet to do it at a Big Ten level. I am not saying he can or can't but he will have to prove that he can raise his level up a notch if he would be hired. This has not been a place where that has happened easily at.

Al Golden has been head coach only four years and has a losing record. Plus: Temple?

I am not sure where I stand with Golden. I think he is a good option but I think one has to temper excitement when looking at guys who have developed a team like Temple. He has done a great job but it is not in a major conference and the competition though strong is not on the same level as the Big Ten or any major conference.

Just because he has done a good job recruiting for that level and has developed a program he has yet to do it at a Big Ten level. I am not saying he can or can't but he will have to prove that he can raise his level up a notch if he would be hired. This has not been a place where that has happened easily at.

jeez. i think we get it - temple is not in the big ten. but how many guys with his pedigree/age/personality from bcs conferences are there? ok, now how many would consider the u? the fact is, the reason we have a shot at golden is because he is in the mac - it seems like we're speaking out of both sides of our mouths if we denigrate the competition. if golden had done what he's done in the big ten, the next stepping stone for him would be a top ten program and he could wait for a vacancy to open up.

Al Golden has been head coach only four years and has a losing record. Plus: Temple?

Please look at Temple's record in the 20+ years previous to Golden (hell, virtually their entire history, really), look at what Golden has done there, and then see if you're so dismissive of it.

P.S. Look not at only WHAT he has done, but HOW he has done it.

Please look at Temple's record in the 20+ years previous to Golden (hell, virtually their entire history, really), look at what Golden has done there, and then see if you're so dismissive of it.

P.S. Look not at only WHAT he has done, but HOW he has done it.

Could you give some specifics on how he has done it? I'm not being sarcastic, I am impressed by him turning around Temple and would approve of him being our next coach. I don't know much about him except a few articles I have seen. I know he recruits the D.C. area very well.
I was at the dome when glen put 66 on Temple a few years ago. Anyone who can turn that program around deserves consideration.

His first year he was 1-11...he was 9-4 last year...If Brewster would have done that here...we wouldn't be having this discussion. The fact that he did it at Temple means even more...they are the pits of D-1 since forever...no recruiting base, no history and in a Pro Sports city...and with many D-1 programs to compete against from the MAC, Big East, ACC and Big Ten all within a 3 hour drive.

Plus, if you have ever been to Temple you would know that it is a sh_t hole in a bad part of a city that aint got many good parts...there stadium sucks, campus sucks, etc. and yet he is building a winner.

This is the type of candidate we can get and can win with us...5 years DC at VA, 4 years HC at MAC school, winner everywhere he goes...makes $1.2 mil per year and has a $2 mil buyout...the U can get this guy if we recruit him and pay him...

Could you give some specifics on how he has done it?

- played on offense, has spent entire coaching career on defense (knows both sides of the ball well, and from different perspectives)

- consistently beats MAC teams with better recruiting bases, because Temple is next-to-impossible to recruit to (for all the reasons GopherinPhilly mentioned)

- takes underrecruited players and turns them into key contributors, not to mention stars, of his teams

- very even-keeled, not a screamer on the sidelines (deals well with players, boosters, media)

- always wears a shirt and tie on the sidelines (I know some [specifically RR] don't like this, but to me it screams class and professionalism)

I think we can turn Minnesota into a similar version of Penn St. with him at the helm. And if you're going to emulate someone, I'd much rather it be them than the Vadgers or Pig-F*ckers.

The only thing that makes me wonder about Golden is his ability to recruit to Minnesota. A quick look at his roster shows that the vast majority of his players are from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with most of the rest from surrounding states. I'm sure that was true of his time at Penn State, too. Will he be able to convince the best players from Pennsylvania and New Jersey to come to Minnesota instead of Penn State, Pitt, Boston College, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Virginia, etc.?

I have that same concern about Sumlin, for example, who is sitting in the middle of his recruiting territory. They aren't convicining a lot of guys to move too far away from home, and Minnesota would take some convincing.

http://www.owlsports.com/roster.aspx?path=football

The only thing that makes me wonder about Golden is his ability to recruit to Minnesota. A quick look at his roster shows that the vast majority of his players are from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with most of the rest from surrounding states. I'm sure that was true of his time at Penn State, too. Will he be able to convince the best players from Pennsylvania and New Jersey to come to Minnesota instead of Penn State, Pitt, Boston College, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Virginia, etc.?

I have that same concern about Sumlin, for example, who is sitting in the middle of his recruiting territory. They aren't convicining a lot of guys to move too far away from home, and Minnesota would take some convincing.

You recruit your area. If he moves to Minnesota he will recruit the midwest.

One downside about Maturi making this firing at this time in the season is that it gives us fans too much time to over analyze these coaches. Don't get me wrong, I love throwing names out there. But I bet we could even poke holes in guys like Peterson or Dungy with all the time we have to spend talking haha

Reasonable...except how many MAC teams recruit far and wide? The fact that he competes for recruits in his local market against the teams you mentioned means more to me...if we could lead the charge for MN, WI and IA recruits we would upgrade our talent immediately.

I think my bigger concern is his ability to hire coordinators that have solid X & O experience and the recruiting connections in Tx and Fl...where we have to recruit to secure speed talent at skill positions.

jeez. i think we get it - temple is not in the big ten. but how many guys with his pedigree/age/personality from bcs conferences are there? ok, now how many would consider the u? the fact is, the reason we have a shot at golden is because he is in the mac - it seems like we're speaking out of both sides of our mouths if we denigrate the competition. if golden had done what he's done in the big ten, the next stepping stone for him would be a top ten program and he could wait for a vacancy to open up.

All these coaches at top BCS teams started somewhere.

- played on offense, has spent entire coaching career on defense (knows both sides of the ball well, and from different perspectives)

- consistently beats MAC teams with better recruiting bases, because Temple is next-to-impossible to recruit to (for all the reasons GopherinPhilly mentioned)

- takes underrecruited players and turns them into key contributors, not to mention stars, of his teams

- very even-keeled, not a screamer on the sidelines (deals well with players, boosters, media)

- always wears a shirt and tie on the sidelines (I know some [specifically RR] don't like this, but to me it screams class and professionalism)

I think we can turn Minnesota into a similar version of Penn St. with him at the helm. And if you're going to emulate someone, I'd much rather it be them than the Vadgers or Pig-F*ckers.

If you get a chance to talk to the players, coaches or admin...the one word you always hear about this guy is discipline. His players, his staff and his personal actions all revolve around doing your job...opposite of Brewster in that Golden talks softly and carries a big stick. His players stay out of trouble, his teams don't commit penalties, his coaches stay with him and his program is clean.

If you get a chance to talk to the players, coaches or admin...the one word you always hear about this guy is discipline. His players, his staff and his personal actions all revolve around doing your job...opposite of Brewster in that Golden talks softly and carries a big stick. His players stay out of trouble, his teams don't commit penalties, his coaches stay with him and his program is clean.

As high as I am on Leach, Golden has to be above him. Everything about Golden seems ideal.

He's a brilliant recruiter! He already has two 3-star and three 2-star commits, per Rivals! The kind of upgrade we need at da U.

He's a brilliant recruiter! He already has two 3-star and three 2-star commits, per Rivals! The kind of upgrade we need at da U.
He's at Temple is he supposed to pull in 4 and 5 star guys? He's turned around a program that won 3 games in 3 years, that says enough for me.

Who cares what his classes have been "rated" before getting to college? Here's what they've done once they got there:

"Named the 2009 MAC Coach of the Year and the Maxwell Club’s Tri-State Coach of the Year, Golden also saw an unprecedented 15 Owls earn All-MAC honors, including a school record eight first-team All-MAC honorees. All-American Bernard Pierce was named the MAC Freshman of the Year, while sophomore Adrian Robinson garnered MAC Defensive Player of the Year accolades."

Also, people around here complain about their being empty seats at TCF. Temple plays at Lincoln Financial, home of the Eagles, where there is a capacity of around 70K. Temple averaged just over 24K fans last year. How about recruiting to that atmosphere?

Top Bottom