Latest Big Ten basketball rankings ahead of the 2021-22 season (#14. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Matt:

#14. Minnesota

New head coach Ben Johnson has a tough road ahead of him in college basketball's best basketball conference. Johnson, a former Xavier assistant coach, was hired back in March after Minnesota fired Richard Pitino after eight seasons. Johnson, 39, joined the Xavier Basketball staff in 2018 after spending the previous five seasons from 2013-18 as an assistant at Minnesota. He played for the Golden Gophers in the early 2000s, and was a two-time captain at Minnesota en route to finishing with 533 points in 59 games. Minnesota lost eleven of their last fourteen games to close the 2020-21 season after looking like a team that could make some noise in the Big Ten and potentially NCAA Tournament earlier in the season.

Go Gophers!!

per Matt:

#14. Minnesota

New head coach Ben Johnson has a tough road ahead of him in college basketball's best basketball conference. Johnson, a former Xavier assistant coach, was hired back in March after Minnesota fired Richard Pitino after eight seasons. Johnson, 39, joined the Xavier Basketball staff in 2018 after spending the previous five seasons from 2013-18 as an assistant at Minnesota. He played for the Golden Gophers in the early 2000s, and was a two-time captain at Minnesota en route to finishing with 533 points in 59 games. Minnesota lost eleven of their last fourteen games to close the 2020-21 season after looking like a team that could make some noise in the Big Ten and potentially NCAA Tournament earlier in the season.

Go Gophers!
Trust the process

Badgers Wire chimes in:

14. Minnesota

2020-21 record: 6-14 (14-15), 13th in the Big Ten

Minnesota is firmly in rebuild mode as the Ben Johnson area begins in the Twin Cities. Marcus Carr withdrew from the NBA draft but is likely transferring away from the program and nine other players from last year’s roster entered the transfer portal following Richard Pitino’s exit.

It’s an uphill battle for the Gophers with a nearly entirely new roster and coaching staff.

Go Gophers!!

Cannot really expect *any* outside analysts to rate Gophs any higher until they have something more tangible to go on. Certainly hope that we can be better than 14th, but it is so hard to get a handdle on how everyone new to the Gophs will play together.

Badgers Wire chimes in:

14. Minnesota

2020-21 record: 6-14 (14-15), 13th in the Big Ten

Minnesota is firmly in rebuild mode as the Ben Johnson area begins in the Twin Cities. Marcus Carr withdrew from the NBA draft but is likely transferring away from the program and nine other players from last year’s roster entered the transfer portal following Richard Pitino’s exit.

It’s an uphill battle for the Gophers with a nearly entirely new roster and coaching staff.

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota may be the obvious choice for #14 but I'm not convinced that will happen. I had the "privilege" of closely following two horrible teams this century: Pitino's 15-16 team and Todd Lickliter's last Iowa team. Fran McCaffrey first Iowa team also was pretty awful. Amazingly none of these teams finished last. Lickliter avoided that by having a 3-15 PSU team in the conference and McCaffrey avoided that by having the probation era 3-15 Indiana team in the conference. Pitino avoided that by having a 1-17 Rutgers team in the conference.

If those teams avoided last place, I definitely think there is hope for this team.

Minnesota may be the obvious choice for #14 but I'm not convinced that will happen. I had the "privilege" of closely following two horrible teams this century: Pitino's 15-16 team and Todd Lickliter's last Iowa team. Fran McCaffrey first Iowa team also was pretty awful. Amazingly none of these teams finished last. Lickliter avoided that by having a 3-15 PSU team in the conference and McCaffrey avoided that by having the probation era 3-15 Indiana team in the conference. Pitino avoided that by having a 1-17 Rutgers team in the conference.

If those teams avoided last place, I definitely think there is hope for this team.

I'm convinced it will happen. Our roster is a disaster and if we win 2 B10 games that may be overachieving.

per Matt:

#14. Minnesota

Go Gophers!!
Pitino wasn’t fired technically

Top Bottom